SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Just saw on twitter that Colton St. Claire has been cleared to play.  Great to have him back! 

Great.  Wish he'd been able to play the last two weekends before getting back to nchc games. 

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Sanderson will already be out. Eventually it will be between Gersich and JJ for the last spot when St. Claire is playing full time. Right now I give the edge to JJ.

Joel has picked up his play as of late, too. I am sure coach will rotate players based on performance. 

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Sanderson will already be out. Eventually it will be between Gersich and JJ for the last spot when St. Claire is playing full time. Right now I give the edge to JJ.

elephant in room = LJ...at this point I'd rather see what JJ and Gersich can do vs continuing to give LJ ice time.  The kid just hasn't delivered.

• Upvote 3

Interesting to rank goal scoring by non-powerplay, non-empty netters on the forwards:

1.  Jewels 13

2. Boesser 9

3.  Gersich 5

4. Chyz  4

5.  Schmaltz, Pogo, Gardner 3

8. LJ, JJ. Simo 2

11.  Wilkie 1

12.  Sanderson, Olson 0

Now factor in the fact that Gersich and JJ have only played in 15 and 16 games respectively...

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2016 at 8:55 PM, yzerman19 said:

elephant in room = LJ...at this point I'd rather see what JJ and Gersich can do vs continuing to give LJ ice time.  The kid just hasn't delivered.

agree 100%. Kid has a wicked snapshot but lacks in other areas of the game, which are just as important.

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Honestly, a fourth line of LJ between JJ and Wilkie might be lethal!

1.  CBS

2.  Chyz with Gersich and Pogo

3.  Gardner, St Claire and Simo

4.  LJ with Wilkie and JJ

I like that.  No Sanderson, no Olson.  I hate the lazy hooking, tripping, interference penalties LJ takes when he doesn't move his feet and gets beat on a play.  It's at a minimum once a series!  So with that said, I would interchange Olson and Sanderson with LJ when needed. The one thing about LJ, just when you don't expect it, he will score a big goal.  Goalies have trouble handling his heavy shot which lead to bad angle goals and rebound opportunities.

I believe the return of St. Clair will add another dimension to the team.  One of the early season weaknesses of the team was poor faceoff performance.  That has improved, but UND is short of experienced centers.  LJ provides that faceoff experience.  St. Clair also has that experience and will provide another faceoff option to the team.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

We need to improve on faceoffs - Schmaltz and Simonson are under 500, and LJ is at .536. No one is lighting it up. PP is another area that needs work - 18% is a little low. Maybe St. Clair can help.

Yes.  Come crunch time, this will be big, especially on PP and PKI. 

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

1.  CBS

I don't think you will see the Chyz, Simo, Pogo line broken up anytime soon.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, iluvdebbies said:

Gersich?  He should be a lock.  He's always working hard and can play on lower lines given his motor.  JJ has gotten better and better too, he deserves to stay in.  Each game these guys get helps their development.  They're freshman and have been important.  They aren't producing on the stat sheet like I had thought but they aren't getting scored on either.

11 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

1.  CBS

LJ doesn't work all that hard though.  I think he's more efficient if someone is spoon-feeding him when he's out there.  Probably needs a top 9 role or a no role.

11 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

1.  CBS

1. CBS

2. Chyz - Simo - Pogo

3. Wilkie - LJ - JJ

4. Rhett - St. Clair - Gersich

Maybe flip flip JJ with Gersich.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

1. CBS

2. Chyz - Simo - Pogo

3. Wilkie - LJ - JJ

4. Rhett - St. Clair - Gersich

Maybe flip flip JJ with Gersich.

I like these lines...especially the top 2.

Gersich and JJ on the same line I ike as well but not with LJ a t center.

I'd go: Gersich Colton JJ then Rhett LJ and Wilke

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'd go with those too.  I just don't want LJ's confidence more damaged than it already is. 

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Has Colton been a good faceoff guy in the past?  I know LJ and Gardner have been pretty good in their careers, so don't know if that leaves one line without a natural faceoff guy.  If the chemistry works though, I don't know if you complain that much about a slightly lower faceoff percentage, because you can put out other lines in certain circumstances.