SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, ClassB said:

Not sure we're gonna have a schmaltz or boeser anything next year with the way they have been playing 

I'd think we'll get at least one more from Boeser. He's gotta get better at skating, IMO. I thought for sure we'd get three from Schmaltz after an up and down rookie year, but he might be the best player this year, so far, in the NCHC. What a first half that kid has had.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd think we'll get at least one more from Boeser. He's gotta get better at skating, IMO. I thought for sure we'd get three from Schmaltz after an up and down rookie year, but he might be the best player this year, so far, in the NCHC. What a first half that kid has had.

I think they both could use at least another year to build strength. Just look at the difference between year 1 and year 2 for Schmaltz. One year of building muscle at their age is invaluable. Boeser is extremely talented but he still gets bumped off the puck rather easily. Schmaltz is much stronger on the puck this year but another year wouldn't hurt his development.

49 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I think they both could use at least another year to build strength. Just look at the difference between year 1 and year 2 for Schmaltz. One year of building muscle at their age is invaluable. Boeser is extremely talented but he still gets bumped off the puck rather easily. Schmaltz is much stronger on the puck this year but another year wouldn't hurt his development.

I have yet to hear one former UND player say he wishes he left earlier as to have another year in the AHL................

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have yet to hear one former UND player say he wishes he left earlier as to have another year in the AHL................

it doesn't necessarily mean an "extra" year in the ahl. The A is a much tougher league then college, some players need to take more of a progression approach rather then simply jumping to the NHL. 

However, as far as schmaltz goes, I think coming back to und for his junior year would be wise. His skill has always been there however he could continue to get bigger and work on his D game, while continuing to pile up points. If he does well at the WJCs and had a strong finish to the college season I doubt he comes back.

24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

it doesn't necessarily mean an "extra" year in the ahl. The A is a much tougher league then college, some players need to take more of a progression approach rather then simply jumping to the NHL. 

However, as far as schmaltz goes, I think coming back to und for his junior year would be wise. His skill has always been there however he could continue to get bigger and work on his D game, while continuing to pile up points. If he does well at the WJCs and had a strong finish to the college season I doubt he comes back.

I wonder if having a brother playing his first professional year in the AHL after playing 3 years in college will be beneficial to Nick. I would imagine Jordan would be the first to tell him that playing in front of 12,000 a night at the Ralph is much better than a few thousand in the AHL travelling on a bus quite often. I think this could be to UND's benefit.

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

I completely agree with everything you said, I am just not sure either will stay. If I had to predict, I'd think Boeser is here next season and Schmaltz is not. I hope I am right on Boeser and wrong on Schmaltz.

As has been said a bunch on here, let's enjoy this ride. We are truly seeing a special group of players on this line and the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

... and continue to work on finishing on his chances, although a quarter inch or so here or there and he could be close to leading the team in goal scoring as well.  Maybe he thinks he is playing pick up hockey and needs to hit the pipe to score. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

who's the getter on the CBS line? If its schmaltz you'd be right. Guy is a takeaway machine.

Yeah, now that you mention it, all three could be considered a getter, because the all backcheck like demons, play well in the corners and in the neutral zone.

If I HAD to peg it... I think I'd say Boeser = netter (purest scorer of the three), Schmaltz (purest playmaker of the three) = setter and Drake = getter (effort guy that is always moving)... lol that's tough to do, with this line.

1 hour ago, ClassB said:

I'll venture to guess that if both are back I'm putting my future salary on a natty w/Jost. I think schmaltz is putting legitimate work in on both ends of the ice because he knows this is a college "career" year. Thoughts?

Agreed. I think one thing that might keep Schmaltz here is that he realized how much better he got this past offseason. He's bigger and can take hits, now. Boeser needs this, too. Schmaltz will be an absolute freak with one more offseason in Grand Forks. Those two with Jost, who might, right now, already be a better finisher than Cag.... woof. Banner No. 9, for sure ;)

Getting ahead of ourselves, a bit, but it sure is fun :) .... LOTS of big things left to accomplish. I think we all realize this has the makings of a really special year. Strap in!

• Upvote 1

There was little or no chance Schmaltz would leave last year--he just wasn't ready to deal with the physicality of the pro game.   He has come a long way and, IMO, it depends on how hard Chicago goes after him.   All these guys think of injury when the NHL comes to the door with flowers and chocolates. 

It would be unreal to see Boeser and Schmaltz around next year with Jost, but I'm actually more concerned about the D corps leaving in numbers.   CBS has been a rare treat to witness, but that D corps has been the story, IMO. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

There was little or no chance Schmaltz would leave last year--he just wasn't ready to deal with the physicality of the pro game.   He has come a long way and, IMO, it depends on how hard Chicago goes after him.   All these guys think of injury when the NHL comes to the door with flowers and chocolates. 

It would be unreal to see Boeser and Schmaltz around next year with Jost, but I'm actually more concerned about the D corps leaving in numbers.   CBS has been a rare treat to witness, but that D corps has been the story, IMO. 

Schloss has said that Chicago is confident they will sign him after this year. I put him at about 90% to leave.

Enjoy the ride :)

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. I think one thing that might keep Schmaltz here is that he realized how much better he got this past offseason. He's bigger and can take hits, now. Boeser needs this, too. Schmaltz will be an absolute freak with one more offseason in Grand Forks. Those two with Jost, who might, right now, already be a better finisher than Cag.... woof. Banner No. 9, for sure ;)

Getting ahead of ourselves, a bit, but it sure is fun :) .... LOTS of big things left to accomplish. I think we all realize this has the makings of a really special year. Strap in!

LMAO, I like that, banner No. 9, we have to get No. 8 first though and with the  way the SIOUX are playing right now, I don't see that not happening! GO SIOUX!!!