SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

It never ceases to amaze me what a good job Bubba and staff have done over the last two years as they've battled the losses of the players to attrition for various reason, including cutting hold-over players from the old staff who weren't up to par or were not committed to UND football.  Because of this, too many (IMHO) players have been rushed forth to two-deep status and have had to have their shirts pulled instead of allowing them to get acclimated early on. No critizing this practice, as I know it needed to be done. 

For what it's worth, based on a quick scan, here is a look at our core of young players (pre-junior status) currently on the roster, as of today.  These are the guys who committed to UND and have stuck with it, so far,and who have had the luxury of developing slowly and arguably the right way. Some of them might have played right away, too, had it not been for injuries that kept their Red Shirts intact.

Defense/Special Teams:

1. Reyes, DB -So

2. Flowers, DB - RSo -- Juco transfer

3. O'Brien, LB - So

4. Harmston, LB - RFr

5. Walton, LB - RFr

6. Schmitz, DE - So

7. Cieselak, DE - RFr

8. Meindel, P/K - RSo*  

Offense:

1. Fiedler, TE - RFr

2. Francis, TE - RFr

3. Ruhe, TE - So

4. Norberg, RB - So

5. Coyne, FB - RFr

6. Miller, OL - So

7. Taylor, OL - RFr

8. Cox, OL - So

9. Stiner, OL - RFr

10. Bell, OL - So

11. Stockwell, OL - So

12. Stanley, WR - RFr 

* played right away but was held out last year, initially for disciplinary reasons

• Upvote 1

It never ceases to amaze me what a good job Bubba and staff have done over the last two years as they've battled the losses of the players to attrition for various reason, including cutting hold-over players from the old staff who weren't up to par or were not committed to UND football. Because of this, too many (IMHO) players have been rushed forth to two-deep status and have had to have their shirts pulled instead of allowing them to get acclimated early on. No critizing this practice, as I know it needed to be done.

For what it's worth, based on a quick scan, here is a look at our core of young players (pre-junior status) currently on the roster, as of today. These are the guys who committed to UND and have stuck with it, so far,and who have had the luxury of developing slowly and arguably the right way. Some of them might have played right away, too, had it not been for injuries that kept their Red Shirts intact.

Defense/Special Teams:

1. Reyes, DB -So

2. Flowers, DB - RSo -- Juco transfer

3. O'Brien, LB - So

4. Harmston, LB - RFr

5. Walton, LB - RFr

6. Schmitz, DE - So

7. Cieselak, DE - RFr

8. Meindel, P/K - RSo*

Offense:

1. Fiedler, TE - RFr

2. Francis, TE - RFr

3. Ruhe, TE - So

4. Norberg, RB - So

5. Coyne, FB - RFr

6. Miller, OL - So

7. Taylor, OL - RFr

8. Cox, OL - So

9. Stiner, OL - RFr

10. Bell, OL - So

11. Stockwell, OL - So

12. Stanley, WR - RFr

* played right away but was held out last year, initially for disciplinary reasons

If a player is the best at his position, regardless of year, he will play. The point you've made is very important in regards to depth. Good football teams have depth to the point that a couple injuries don't derail their season; that is where UND football is trying to get to.

One guy on defense you may have missed is NG Tank Harris, who redshirted last season and has a solid chance of starting in 2015.

If a player is the best at his position, regardless of year, he will play. The point you've made is very important in regards to depth. Good football teams have depth to the point that a couple injuries don't derail their season; that is where UND football is trying to get to.

One guy on defense you may have missed is NG Tank Harris, who redshirted last season and has a solid chance of starting in 2015.

I certainly did!  Good catch!  Thanks.

I would like to applaud the sophomore group.  Those players were recruited by the prior coaching staff, came into 2013 fall camp and fall season, their coach and staff got fired, no new coach was announced until two months later, then entered spring ball with a new coaching staff and had to learn a new playbook and coaching philosophy.  You always loose some players (of all ages) when coaching changes happen and also when the coaches evaluate their roster, plus some players will leave the program for a number of other reasons. 

Actually, I am going to correct myself.  I would like to applaud all the sophomore and older players who have bought into and endured the transition.  They have worked very hard in the meeting rooms, in the weight room and on the field.  They are all focused and want UND football program to be successful. 

Agree 1,000++++

• Upvote 1

From SFI..

Via twitter, appears that UND will sign another CB/S - Vashon Tucker of Eastern Christian Academy. Same school as Jahmere Irvin-Sills.
Tucker reclassifed to 2015 but did not play for ECA last fall. He will be a freshman. 5'11"-190. Had multiple offers in 2014.

From SFI..

Vashon Tucker

Held offers from UConn, Hawaii, UMass, Rutgers and UCLA though I'm positive at least of few of them were grey-shirt offers.  New Mexico and Morgan State were also listed as offering him.  Went to the same high school as recent transfer Irvin-Sills.

BobcatNation.com Season Preview

This article picks a winner for every game of the season that involves a Big Sky team.  It has Montana St. and EWU sharing the conference title.  Picks North Dakota at Montana as the Week 9 Game of the Week.

Predicts UND to finish 8th in the league, going 4-7 overall and 3-5 in conference play.

This article picks a winner for every game of the season that involves a Big Sky team. It has Montana St. and EWU sharing the conference title. Picks North Dakota at Montana as the Week 9 Game of the Week.

Predicts UND to finish 8th in the league, going 4-7 overall and 3-5 in conference play.

Obviously looking at the last few years and throwing us 8th. Time to prove them wrong.

This article picks a winner for every game of the season that involves a Big Sky team. It has Montana St. and EWU sharing the conference title. Picks North Dakota at Montana as the Week 9 Game of the Week.

Going 4-7 (3-5) would indicate regression and not movement in the right direction. If the defense maintains its level of the play from last season and the offense becomes a bit more productive, UND should certainly win more than 4 games in 2015. I mean, there better be improvement. Nothing wrong with expecting improvement, within reason of course.

I expect UND to go undefeated at home in the Alerus Center, considering how well they played there last season in only Bubba's first season. Nothing would please me more than to smack around Montana State; that should be a fun game, especially if they come in ranked top 10.

This article picks a winner for every game of the season that involves a Big Sky team.  It has Montana St. and EWU sharing the conference title.  Picks North Dakota at Montana as the Week 9 Game of the Week.

A Montana State Groupie picking Montana State to win the conference title and a guy that probably can't name one player on UND's team picking us for 8th - not surprised. I do wonder if UND is going to face "West Coast Bias" it's entire time in the Big Sky - and yes I know winning will help but we had a pretty good defense last year and got no recognition for it - we deserved a little but again it's tough to get if they can't see past the Montana state line. 

Undefeated at home is a must for our improvement.  Another big game at home will be Idaho St.  They are getting a lot of love from Big Sky comments and some polls have them ranked.  We need to take them down at Homecoming.  Rock the Alerus and beat a ranked team. 

A Montana State Groupie picking Montana State to win the conference title and a guy that probably can't name one player on UND's team picking us for 8th - not surprised. I do wonder if UND is going to face "West Coast Bias" it's entire time in the Big Sky - and yes I know winning will help but we had a pretty good defense last year and got no recognition for it - we deserved a little but again it's tough to get if they can't see past the Montana state line. 

UND will continue to be picked low until they prove they deserve to be picked higher. Hopefully that will come to fruition this year. Can't blame and media writer for picking Montana St high, they have been a successful team. I am personally very high on this team right now. I like how Bubba has coached, I like the players he is bringing in, and I think this season will be another good step forward. That being said, taking the right steps is not enough for a writer to hand them a high ranking and outstanding record (though I do think he low balled their record).

Ultimately, this is a season to take the next step and surprise some people. Put up some good wins on the field and UND won't be as overlooked next season.

UND will continue to be picked low until they prove they deserve to be picked higher. Hopefully that will come to fruition this year. Can't blame and media writer for picking Montana St high, they have been a successful team. I am personally very high on this team right now. I like how Bubba has coached, I like the players he is bringing in, and I think this season will be another good step forward. That being said, taking the right steps is not enough for a writer to hand them a high ranking and outstanding record (though I do think he low balled their record).

Ultimately, this is a season to take the next step and surprise some people. Put up some good wins on the field and UND won't be as overlooked next season.

You're right.

Go undefeated at home, beating the likes of Idaho State and Montana State, and win a big one on the road, with opportunities at Wyoming, Fargo, and Montana, would go a long, long way towards recognition.

UND made steps in the right direction last season, but they didn't have a significant win. Get those in 2015, and respect will come.

I want to believe we will be much improved and win more games. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. But, I will not be surprised either way. There were times last year that we looked bad - sometimes very bad. I expect that we will be a better team this year but don't know how many wins that will mean. Injuries is the biggest unknown. From what I have read here, we need more depth in most positions. Fun times ahead!