SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Is there any chance that Jade Lawrence will get a look at running back?

That's a desperation move in my opinion.

He's an NSIC RB with decent speed.  In the BSC, he's among the slowest backs in the league.

I'd rather have him as a BSC backer with good speed.

That's a desperation move in my opinion.

He's an NSIC RB with decent speed.  In the BSC, he's among the slowest backs in the league.

I'd rather have him as a BSC backer with good speed.

I think he is a 4.5 guy out of high school. He could easily be a 4.4 guy coming into camp or a year into the program. I liked his size and instincts at RB in Minnesota's highest level. I think your statement is a little bearish on the kid. I've heard he is a great kid and is working his @ss off......if you want to believe his high school coach.

I think he is a 4.5 guy out of high school. He could easily be a 4.4 guy coming into camp or a year into the program. I liked his size and instincts at RB in Minnesota's highest level. I think your statement is a little bearish on the kid. I've heard he is a great kid and is working his @ss off......if you want to believe his high school coach.

Who is by no means a fan of UND...

Who is by no means a fan of UND...

He was very complimentary of the current UND staff. Emphasized the home field advantage in the playoffs as the goal. I try not to like the guy, yet he's pretty likable when you talk to him.

• Upvote 1

He was very complimentary of the current UND staff. Emphasized the home field advantage in the playoffs as the goal. I try not to like the guy, yet he's pretty likable when you talk to him.

I meant it a little tongue in cheek. Definitely is a professional and looks out for what is best for his student athletes first but I'd guess deep down inside, it has to give him a little pain. Nothing terribly reliable, but I heard he was quite high on Lawrence and was disappointed he didn't end up across the river instead of up it 75 miles.

I think there were 7 D1 recruits in the FM metro last year with Johanasson (UM) Brooks, Fort (NDSU) and Lawrence, Hartness twins (UND). There was also a good amount of D2 & D3 kids. Anyways, out of all that talent after Johanasson I would put Lawrence at the top of the list. The young man is a flat out football player. He'll be a nice player for UND whether it's OLB RB FB special teams, but I agree OLB should be the first priority. Need more hard nosed team first local guys like Jade Lawrence in the program. Can't have enough of them.

I watched every game he played, most of his track meets, and know his coach and his family.  But I watched James Johanneson, who is a legit 4.5, run him off the track.

Jade has the potential to be a great BSC LB, not a RB in my opinion.

I watched every game he played, most of his track meets, and know his coach and his family. But I watched James Johanneson, who is a legit 4.5, run him off the track.

Jade has the potential to be a great BSC LB, not a RB in my opinion.

Lawrence is an OLB at the DI level, not a RB.

A couple of nights ago, I watched the NAU vs UND from last year that I recorded.  The OL was fine on that game. Garman rushed for over 200 yards.  Studrud did a fine job at QB  Managed to slip thru a blitz near the end of the game to complete a pass that set up the winning FG.  No turnovers or botched snaps.  The RB did miss a couple of Blitzs that resulted in sacks and stalled drives in the second half. 

The OL opened holes and set up some nice runs.  Studsrud didn't look like a freshman QB with 3 weeks on running the Offense.

I can still picture Studrud slipping away from the tackle and completing the pass - that was the play of the game.

I can still picture Studrud slipping away from the tackle and completing the pass - that was the play of the game.

There were many plays of the game.  But Studs made a move there and the lumberjack left his jock on the field on that play. 

Here is a PDF link to the Big Sky Media Day roster that UND is using. Interesting 2 deep at this point:

http://www.undsports.com/pdf9/3675606.pdf

So other than Iwarri Smith being listed as a RB (which I expected) and Mason Bennett listed as DL instead of OLB, it appears that Jake Francis has left the team?  Anyone else notice anything?

EDIT - off course then I see that he (Francis) switched numbers and is listed as a TE. 

They've listed the two-deep in pro-set two-back. I'm guessing Walker is in the 11 package if it was listed. 

What surprises me is Ruhe not on at TE (or is he still considered injured, ala Mollberg). 

EDIT: On the right side of the two-deep page is a list of "spring injuries". -- Walker, Stockwell, Ruhe, Mollberg, et al. 

They've listed the two-deep in pro-set two-back. I'm guessing Walker is in the 11 package if it was listed. 

What surprises me is Ruhe not on at TE (or is he still considered injured, ala Mollberg). 

EDIT: On the right side of the two-deep page is a list of "spring injuries". -- Walker, Stockwell, Ruhe, Mollberg, et al. 

I saw that too, but they still had a couple injured guys on the two deep.  I would think if healthy Stockwell will be starting at LT.

I didn't notice that. He's not listed on the losses. Also, the UofMinn LB Jephete Matilus is not on there either. Wonder what the deal is there?

Matilus is now not coming, that I have heard. As for Hartley, I sure hope that's just a typo because he was looking like the real deal last spring.

Add Big rangy DBs Hilton and Webb to the not coming list, per Tom Miller. I really wanted those two.

Ouch.

Attrition is a bitch in college football. Sure hope there's enough depth to keep this thing moving in the right direction.

Yet A LOT of question-marks for this year's team.

I liked Hartleys potential a lot and don't like seeing him gone. The two big cbs looked good on paper but since they never got here we really don't know what we missed. UND-FB-FAN is correct that attrition is a part of college football and that is a big reason why local guys that work hard and wait their turn are extremely important to the program for depth. Guys that came in as walk ons in that two deep like Seibel, Schmitz, and Olson are good examples of that.

Other than that pre camp depth charts are pretty meaningless. Just something to talk about.

• Upvote 1

I liked Hartleys potential a lot and don't like seeing him gone. The two big cbs looked good on paper but since they never got here we really don't know what we missed. UND-FB-FAN is correct that attrition is a part of college football and that is a big reason why local guys that work hard and wait their turn are extremely important to the program for depth. Guys that came in as walk ons in that two deep like Seibel, Schmitz, and Olson are good examples of that.

Other than that pre camp depth charts are pretty meaningless. Just something to talk about.

You bring up a very important point that has been touched on before. Attrition from non-local prospects had badly hurt UND football before Bubba got here as head coach and it will continue to hurt UND. The most important prospects are those from the Midwest, specifically ND and MN. They are the most likely to stick it out the full 4 - 5 years.