SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Ok.   I will go out on a limb.  yes UND will be 4-0 in conference play heading to Missoula.  5-2 overall.   mostly likely a loss to Montana. Return home and beat MSU and N Colorado.

Travel to cal poly as tied for conference leader at 6-1.   7-3 overall.  a win secures conference share of title and playoff.  a loss and we are on the bubble for a playoff position.

The QB situation is the biggest X factor. It's hard to know what we are going to get. Without that it's tough to know how the season will play out.

This along with offensive line play. Last year we had below average production from the QB, part of that was because we had below average Oline play.

• Upvote 1

The QB situation is the biggest X factor. It's hard to know what we are going to get. Without that it's tough to know how the season will play out.

This along with offensive line play. Last year we had below average production from the QB, part of that was because we had below average Oline play.

The key to offensive success, especially relating to QB success, really depends on the support the QB (whover that is) gets.  An improved offensive line will help that, obviously.  Other players on offense will have to step up to make the QB's job easier.  That being said, If we can develop a defensive as good as ones we know UND can have under Bubba, the offensive numbers don't have to be out of this world.  Our offfensive won't have to put up huge numbers if our defense can hold teams down.  If our defensive can shut the other team down, scoring 17-24 points a game may be enough to win.  Obviously out of the ordinarry for games in the offensive minded Big Sky, but UND can be very god and stand out and the defensive power house we know they can be.  LAst year was a huge step.  This year could be a statement!

A couple of nights ago, I watched the NAU vs UND from last year that I recorded.  The OL was fine on that game. Garman rushed for over 200 yards.  Studrud did a fine job at QB  Managed to slip thru a blitz near the end of the game to complete a pass that set up the winning FG.  No turnovers or botched snaps.  The RB did miss a couple of Blitzs that resulted in sacks and stalled drives in the second half. 

The OL opened holes and set up some nice runs.  Studsrud didn't look like a freshman QB with 3 weeks on running the Offense.

The key to offensive success, especially relating to QB success, really depends on the support the QB (whover that is) gets.  An improved offensive line will help that, obviously.  Other players on offense will have to step up to make the QB's job easier.  That being said, If we can develop a defensive as good as ones we know UND can have under Bubba, the offensive numbers don't have to be out of this world.  Our offfensive won't have to put up huge numbers if our defense can hold teams down.  If our defensive can shut the other team down, scoring 17-24 points a game may be enough to win.  Obviously out of the ordinarry for games in the offensive minded Big Sky, but UND can be very god and stand out and the defensive power house we know they can be.  LAst year was a huge step.  This year could be a statement!

Despite what the "experts" claim, the Big Sky has a lot of offenses that depend on running the ball, though its through various styles (option, pro-style, spread).  UND's defense is set up great to stop that.  However, many of those offenses are also able to throw the ball around if necessary.  That is the area where UND really needs to improve.  The claim that the Big Sky doesn't play defense is nowhere near what the talking point has become and part of that has to do with some of the very strong offenses that can score in bunches. 

• Upvote 2

Despite what the "experts" claim, the Big Sky has a lot of offenses that depend on running the ball, though its through various styles (option, pro-style, spread).  UND's defense is set up great to stop that.  However, many of those offenses are also able to throw the ball around if necessary.  That is the area where UND really needs to improve.  The claim that the Big Sky doesn't play defense is nowhere near what the talking point has become and part of that has to do with some of the very strong offenses that can score in bunches. 

This notion got its start with the MVFC trolls and has gained traction with a lot of people.

This notion got its start with the MVFC trolls and has gained traction with a lot of people.

Unfortunately I have a brother who cheers for a certain MVFC school in Fargo that is constantly trolling my about this "fact".  It is tough to say which is true.  Either Big Sky teams have great offenses or have soft defenses.  Varies with each team.  Some have both.  (EWU the last 3 years).  UND has neither......or at least last year.  My hope for the 2015 UND team is to have the top defense in the Big Sky and an offense in the top 6 in offese.  If that happens, we should be in the top 3-4 of the Sky.

• Upvote 1

I recall NDSU losing to misery state 3-0, ending the season 7-4... Before putting up huge numbers against the Big Sky in the playoffs. That was the beginning I believe

I recall NDSU losing to misery state 3-0, ending the season 7-4... Before putting up huge numbers against the Big Sky in the playoffs. That was the beginning I believe

So that makes it a conference wide blanket truth, right?  2 games where if I recall, one of those teams put up HUGE numbers on NDSU also.  So what does that say for their defense?

So that makes it a conference wide blanket truth, right? 2 games where if I recall, one of those teams put up HUGE numbers on NDSU also. So what does that say for their defense?

It didn't help watching Sam Houston out up video game numbers on them the over the next couple of years either.

NDSU's 2010 defense was only okay. The EWU rb had his way with them until he got hurt.

So that makes it a conference wide blanket truth, right?  2 games where if I recall, one of those teams put up HUGE numbers on NDSU also.  So what does that say for their defense?

Of course...pretty easy to cherry pick games wherever necessary.

In the quarterfinals that year, NDSU outgained MSU 432-380.  MSU was done in by being -3 in turnovers.  Then you have NDSU/EWU game where Taiwan Jones had 230 yards rushing before leaving the game a couple plays into the 4th quarter and EWU outgaining NDSU 382-318.  The Missouri State game that was referenced saw NDSU get outgained 334-120 en route to laying an absolute egg that had little to nothing to do with MSU's defense.

• Upvote 1

Iowa State
W34-14

Weber State
W24-7

Incarnate Word
W58-0

Montana
W22-10

W Illinois
W17-10

S Illinois
W38-10

Indiana State
W34-17

South Dakota
W47-7

South Dakota St
W37-17

Northern Iowa
L23-3

Missouri State
W45-10

Youngstown St
W38-14

South Dakota St
W27-24

Coast Carolina
W39-32

Sam Houston
W35-3

Illinois State*
W29-27

UNI held them to 3 points.  WIU held them to 17.  Next two lowest outputs:  Montana - 22 and Weber State - 24.   

Crazy they couldn't get in the end zone vs. those horrendous defenses.  
  • Upvote 1

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2%2Fwriters%2Finfcshuddle%2Farchive%2Fhaley_07_09_2015.htm

Sportsnetwork.com pre-season all americans.  Couple of snubs-

1. Will Ratelle not being named at LB
  2. Carson Wentz not being selected at QB

Sorry if this has been posted already.

I agree.  Ratelle should have made the 3rd team for sure.  I can't believe Wentz didn't make first team.  I'm Ratelle was over looked because lack of exposure during playoffs.  Not sure how Wentz was missed.

Wentz is a far bigger snub than Ratelle. 

Wentz did QB a title team last season.

They don't have Carson in the top 5?

That is all the FCS needs is a highly skilled Carson Wentz with a chip on his shoulder and his own bulletin board material.

They don't have Carson in the top 5?

Nope.

They claim the best UND will see in the regular season is Montana State's Prukop (third team). 

What NDSU does have is what I want for UND: Offensive linemen on that list. 

Homecoming game set for October 10 should be a good one against Idaho State. My expectations for this season are quite simple: be competitive on the road and win-out at home. With that, UND will have wins against Montana State and Idaho State and chances against top teams like FBS Wyoming and FCS No.1 NDSU.

Bubba continues to push this thing in the right direction with a winning season in 2015. Playoffs this season would just be extra, but nothing wrong with that!

• Upvote 1

Homecoming game set for October 10 should be a good one against Idaho State. My expectations for this season are quite simple: be competitive on the road and win-out at home. With that, UND will have wins against Montana State and Idaho State and chances against top teams like FBS Wyoming and FCS No.1 NDSU.

Bubba continues to push this thing in the right direction with a winning season in 2015. Playoffs this season would just be extra, but nothing wrong with that!

A winning record this year is very likely.  Playoffs (Playoffs?) would be icing on the cake.