SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

I agree with Teeder than Studsrud will likely be the starter.  He was recruited by this staff and Mollberg and Bartles weren't.  I would  have gone with either Mollberg or Bartles because of their experience and  size along with the fact that Studsrud didn't do much this spring and wasn't able to separate himself from the others this fall.  All being equal, I would have gone with Mollberg because of what I have seen he has been  the best of the bunch and as you all know I am biased.  Having said that, I haven't seen any of them this fall, so you gotta go with whomever the coaches who are at practice everyday think will give us the best chance to win.  I would guess that  if they go with Studsrud, they knew that all along and kept it quiet because they couldn't  afford to have either Mollberg or Bartles or both transfer out.  They are both good enough to start somewhere else and I would not sit the bench behind a Soph who hasn't separated himself from the others.  If they go with either Bartles or Mollberg, there is no pressure on Studsrud to relieve them if they can't get the job done. If either Mollberg or Bartles can't get the job done this year as juniors, behind what is supposed to be a better oline, then they have no excuse and they go with the young kid and build for the future. Teeder has been at practice and I think is probably correct that Studsrud starts.

All 5 home games (Midco) and 2 road games (state NBC and Regional Root Sports) will be available on TV this year.

Its unlikely Portland St., Weber or Cal Poly get broadcast so those three will have to be streamed on BigSky TV which is not a bad option. 

Anyone know whether the Montana game, which is carried by Root, will be webcast by BigSky TV?

I agree with Teeder than Studsrud will likely be the starter.  He was recruited by this staff and Mollberg and Bartles weren't.  I would  have gone with either Mollberg or Bartles because of their experience and  size along with the fact that Studsrud didn't do much this spring and wasn't able to separate himself from the others this fall.  All being equal, I would have gone with Mollberg because of what I have seen he has been  the best of the bunch and as you all know I am biased.  Having said that, I haven't seen any of them this fall, so you gotta go with whomever the coaches who are at practice everyday think will give us the best chance to win.  I would guess that  if they go with Studsrud, they knew that all along and kept it quiet because they couldn't  afford to have either Mollberg or Bartles or both transfer out.  They are both good enough to start somewhere else and I would not sit the bench behind a Soph who hasn't separated himself from the others.  If they go with either Bartles or Mollberg, there is no pressure on Studsrud to relieve them if they can't get the job done. If either Mollberg or Bartles can't get the job done this year as juniors, behind what is supposed to be a better oline, then they have no excuse and they go with the young kid and build for the future. Teeder has been at practice and I think is probably correct that Studsrud starts.

Basing my comments completely off of what I have read, as I haven't seen any of these guys recently.

Studsrud - recruited by this staff, and finished the season strong last season. Sounds like he is the most mobile guy, which could help buy some time for receivers.

Mollberg - I think this would have been a much tougher decision (assuming Studsrud is the starter) if Mollberg hadn't been injured. I'm sure as he continues feeling more comfortable on that leg, he will get his chance. Especially if Studrud struggles at all

Bartles - Seems like this guy just can't find any consistency. Big strong kid and throws a nice deep ball, but never seems to really control the game or seperate from his competition. I have read several times through fall camp that a receiver made a nice deep catch, which usually seem to come from Bartles. Need this guy to find more of the 5-15 yard plays, and keep the chains moving. Not sure if he just has trouble finding receiver, but this guy needs to have some more consistency.

Again, these comments are based mostly on what I have read, and from what I have seen in the past. Frankly, I could care less who starts, just want to see them get the job done, and get more of a passing game than last season.

Any word on how Heidlebaugh (spelling?) has done this fall? Would be nice to have him groomed for this team in a few years. Sounds like a really big kid.

Edited by siouxfan512

Ira, because of the closeness of the QB competition, I won't be surprised whatever the final result will be.  As you know, and as we have seen, injury int the Big Sky can and will happen. I think all three have to be ready day one -- and they will be. WE have a good problem at QB, but I do appreciate your comments that the "back ups" can start somewhere else. They are proud competitors, and I hope they stick it out at UND for two more years. 

Basing my comments completely off of what I have read, as I haven't seen any of these guys recently.

Studsrud - recruited by this staff, and finished the season strong last season. Sounds like he is the most mobile guy, which could help buy some time for receivers.

Mollberg - I think this would have been a much tougher decision (assuming Studsrud is the starter) if Mollberg hadn't been injured. I'm sure as he continues feeling more comfortable on that leg, he will get his chance. Especially if Studrud struggles at all

Bartles - Seems like this guy just can't find any consistency. Big strong kid and throws a nice deep ball, but never seems to really control the game or seperate from his competition. I have read several times through fall camp that a receiver made a nice deep catch, which usually seem to come from Bartles. Need this guy to find more of the 5-15 yard plays, and keep the chains moving. Not sure if he just has trouble finding receiver, but this guy needs to have some more consistency.

Again, these comments are based mostly on what I have read, and from what I have seen in the past. Frankly, I could care less who starts, just want to see them get the job done, and get more of a passing game than last season.

Any word on how Heidlebaugh (spelling?) has done this fall? Would be nice to have him groomed for this team in a few years. Sounds like a really big kid.

I think you are spot on here.  Ira might have some insight here, but the desire to keep Joe's recovery on track and unabated, might play a role in whether he starts or not. He is just way too valuable to this team.

Edited by Teeder11

Truth is, if Mollberg (and Bartels) wouldn't have been hurt, Studsrud would be a RFr instead of a Sophomore and have no game experience.  If that was the situation, I don't think he's in the conversation for starting this year.

Heidelbaugh is doing very well for a young man who is scaling a learning curve as steep as Mt. Everest -- N.D. Class B to FCS Division 1 -- he is still a project that has a couple of years to hone his craft. 

Edited by Teeder11

Heidelbaugh is doing very well for a young man who is scaling a learning curve as steep as Mt. Everest -- N.D. 9-man to FCS Division 1 -- he is still a project that has a couple of years to hone his craft. 

Even though it might not seem like it all the time, Rugby plays 11 man football at the A level, though not sure when the moved down from the AA level. :)

I hope we don't have to go through 3 QB's again this season.  I'm thinking 2 will play for sure because of injury or performance.  It would be nice to see Heidelbaugh have 2 or 3 years to develop.  He is a big kid and strong.  He might be a sleeper.

No matter who is the starting QB, I'm sure we will be much better because of the surrounding cast.

Even though it might not seem like it all the time, Rugby plays 11 man football at the A level, though not sure when the moved down from the AA level. :)

Thanks.... yes, I had a second thought on that.... I went back and changed it, though, it still might not be accurate with the whole A, AA, AAA level system.  I grew up in a time when it was Class A, Class B and 9-man. :D

I don't mind seeing Studsrud start.  If he is the best QB we have on roster, he deserves to start.  That simple.  If he struggles, it is nece to have 2 veteran backups that have been in the system that can step in and be sufficient.  My money is on Studsrud getting the nod, but wouldn't be surprised to see Joe win it either.

Keaton is starting for Wyo

first surprise: Santiago is #1 on the depth chart in RB

Santiago has turned some heads

Last year, when Jer Garmin was named No. 1 RB to open the season, people were surprised, too.

Edited by Teeder11

Bartles will backup Keaton

Iverson (2 games) and Tank Harris (1 game) suspended for institutional policy

Norberg is currently #2 behind Santiago. Arrington and Brady back later this week.

Tyus Carter and Greer will have shirts pulled.

I'm pulling this off of Hammers twitter in case people were wondering

Does anyone else find Santiago being the #1 guy just a little worrisome?  True freshman listed at 5'9 170 (if that's not inflated it would be the first in the history of college athletics)

I thought there was more in the cupboard so he could season a bit.  Hopefully his speed is such that he doesn't take direct hits.