SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

One more observation from last night, the Schmaltz-Thompson pairing scares the crap out of me almost every time they're on the ice. I don't like that pairing. Way to many breakdowns.

Thompson was NCHC plater of the week last week, but paired with Panzarella I believe. I really think they want to stick with the Mattson-Ladue, Stecher-Ausmus pairing, which leaves you no other choice but to go with a couple offensive-minded defensemen. It could just be they need more time to get used to each other, or maybe now that they have a couple weeks off, they may want to rethink the Ausmus-Stecher pairing. Even though they have been the best pairing, they both have great defensive capabilities, and maybe they may choose to mix those with offensive defensemen. Either way I think we'll be o.k.

Thank you, sir.

Man I'd love to know what was said between Hak and Blais there after the game. Probably nothing, but they sort of turned back towards each other at the end. Slightly reminiscent of Hak vs Eaves

I really wondered what was said between Hak and Blais too because when I was watching live it looked like Blais said bull !@#$ when he turned back at the end. Probably nothing and could just be a bad case of trying to read lips by me but I would love to know what was actually said.

PP did not look great but that was due to the aggressive PK by Omaha. UNO contested every pass and zone entry hard and if our guy fumbled the puck or made a weak pass the puck was quickly headed back into our own end. Not a lot of teams have the horses to be that aggressive on the kill; it will be interesting how much we see that style going forward. Also interesting to see what adjustments (if any) UND makes against that type of PK.

Thats whats happens when teams are aggresive on the pk, it makes the other team react with out thinking which leads to turn overs. I know we have 9 shorties but it annoys the hell out of me when our guys dont challenge the other team, jmo.

My takeaways from this series:

UNO is really good but for a majority of the 120+ minutes UND was better. From here on out if UND can play like they did this weekend I like their chance vs anyone anywhere.

Massa was great. Zane was not.

UND's PP needs to be blown up. Pathetic.

Stecher is the best D-man on the team...even after a 2 month layoff.

15 and 16 are playing really well right now.

NS plays so much better when on a line with Caggs.

2 guys that played pretty well and have for a few weeks that don't get much credit...4 and 5. Not always pretty in the D zone but offensively they can make things happen.

Lastly...OD is playing the best hockey of his college career. He is becoming a difference maker on this team.

Good set of takeaways! I agree with all of it.

It's nice to see you mentioning Mattson and OD. If I remember correctly you were dogging them a bit a while back?

I think the key to Mattson is he has to make a point to be super aggressive around the net and end boards in the D-Zone.

Offensively he is a driver and we need him in the game for that cause.

Thats whats happens when teams are aggresive on the pk, it makes the other team react with out thinking which leads to turn overs. I know we have 9 shorties but it annoys the hell out of me when our guys dont challenge the other team, jmo.

I was flipping back and forth between the UND/UNO and the UW/UMN games, and the difference in PK (and overall play as well) was crazy.  Both UW and UMN were essentially just standing there on the PK...waiting for the other team to do anything. 

In our 5 conference losses, we are a combined 1/20 on the pp.  That is an abysmal 5% for those math majors.  Pure and simple, our ability to turn that around and capitalize with the man advantage will determine our playoff destiny.  Especially in NCAA tourney games with some officiating crews that call it like a girls U-16 and with all those TV time outs.  

In our 5 conference losses, we are a combined 1/20 on the pp.  That is an abysmal 5% for those math majors.  Pure and simple, our ability to turn that around and capitalize with the man advantage will determine our playoff destiny.  Especially in NCAA tourney games with some officiating crews that call it like a girls U-16 and with all those TV time outs.

You can probably say the same thing about most teams in their losses. Even though they didn't look good last weekend they were still at about 20 percent which number wise isn't horrible.

Interesting experience in the stands at the game - guy a few seats down was taking tons of notes, wearing Philadelphia Flyer logo. We chatted and he was a Flyer scout there to take notes on Parks. He took a lot of notes so guess he would also be trying to notice other players that perhaps aren't drafted. At the end of Saturday nights regulation when  Zane made the last second save he gasped and shook his head like everyone else. Saw him later that night in the same bar that was taken over by Sioux fans. 

Great weekend - great road trip - we need to develop more rivalries and this could be one. - their fans are passionate, need to learn more about hockey but seem to be getting on board.

Interesting experience in the stands at the game - guy a few seats down was taking tons of notes, wearing Philadelphia Flyer logo. We chatted and he was a Flyer scout there to take notes on Parks. He took a lot of notes so guess he would also be trying to notice other players that perhaps aren't drafted. At the end of Saturday nights regulation when  Zane made the last second save he gasped and shook his head like everyone else. Saw him later that night in the same bar that was taken over by Sioux fans. 

Great weekend - great road trip - we need to develop more rivalries and this could be one. - their fans are passionate, need to learn more about hockey but seem to be getting on board.

Did you ask him if any other players caught his eye?

You have to believe that both Jewels and Stecher are getting looks as possible UFAs

Agreed, however i doubt either are ready to go. Cags may be but I strongly think that these players should be dominating before leaving. Cags is having a nice year so far but there are more than a few guys averaging a point per game. Hopefully he decides to stay for his senior year.

Call it a hunch, but I don't think any underclassmen sign.

Zane is the biggest risk to jump. I don't think the Bruins want him to become a FA. J Schmaltz could go, while I don't think he should.

The Bruins also don't have a lot of room for him either. Subban just was called up this past weekend.