SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Call it a hunch, but I don't think any underclassmen sign.

Zane is the biggest risk to jump. I don't think the Bruins want him to become a FA. J Schmaltz could go, while I don't think he should.

If no underclassmen leave, sometimes that means they want to stay to try to achieve an NCAA Championship together.  I'm hoping they can get that done this year, then I wouldn't mind some leaving early.  With a lot of the leaders on this team being seniors, it might be tough to even make the NCAA tourney next year, especially if they lose an underclassmen or two.

The Bruins also don't have a lot of room for him either. Subban just was called up this past weekend.

Sure, but do the really want to lose him?

If no underclassmen leave, sometimes that means they want to stay to try to achieve an NCAA Championship together.  I'm hoping they can get that done this year, then I wouldn't mind some leaving early.  With a lot of the leaders on this team being seniors, it might be tough to even make the NCAA tourney next year, especially if they lose an underclassmen or two.

Restock, reload. Like we always do. If we win a title, I'll still want one next year.

• Upvote 3

I think the Bruins will take a run at Zane , but I don't think he's a priority for them- I could actually see him as part of a trade deal

Exactly! The better Zane is the more he can bring back if need be. Zane should be the first goalie from UND to play in the show since Belfour/Casey I'm assuming. Great chip for Boston if he continues on this path

How many Sioux fans in Omaha?

Omaha was an absolute blast…pretty much all the UNO fans I encountered were polite, great hockey, we had great seats…Saturday my view of the game was obstructed by Hakstol standing right in front of me…. We were right behind the Sioux bench….probably the only thing that could have been better would be if all us Sioux fans were more concentrated in a certain area…. But we had really good numbers I thought.

Not real happy about the new arena being on campus, might give a better hockey feel but staying at a hotel connected to the game was pretty frickin sweet, I think the Hilton does a top notch job considering everything that was going on, they even had enough shuttles to bus us around Old Market district on Saturday with very little delay.

The drive back was crap all the way through Iowa, left at 10 am and pulled into Fargo at 5pm just in time to get back in the car and drive to SuperBowl party, outside of an NCAA regional in MSP or the Frozen four there this was by far a most excellent adventure.

• Upvote 2

Omaha was an absolute blast…pretty much all the UNO fans I encountered were polite, great hockey, we had great seats…Saturday my view of the game was obstructed by Hakstol standing right in front of me…. We were right behind the Sioux bench….probably the only thing that could have been better would be if all us Sioux fans were more concentrated in a certain area…. But we had really good numbers I thought.

Not real happy about the new arena being on campus, might give a better hockey feel but staying at a hotel connected to the game was pretty frickin sweet, I think the Hilton does a top notch job considering everything that was going on, they even had enough shuttles to bus us around Old Market district on Saturday with very little delay.

The drive back was crap all the way through Iowa, left at 10 am and pulled into Fargo at 5pm just in time to get back in the car and drive to SuperBowl party, outside of an NCAA regional in MSP or the Frozen four there this was by far a most excellent adventure.

I'd agree this was an awesome road trip. I thought I had booked at the attached Hilton but ended up at the Hilton garden inn 2 blocks to the south and was happy or worked out that way. The hotel staff was very pleasant, won a bet with one of the shuttle drivers to get free breakfast Sunday morning, and I thought the omaha fans were great. I was jawing back and forth with a uno fan and during intermissions we had good friendly conversations. Other than the long drive from omaha to sioux city, the trip was very fun!

• Upvote 1

I think the Bruins will take a run at Zane , but I don't think he's a priority for them- I could actually see him as part of a trade deal

Unless they trade Subban.  It could be that they brought up Subban now to showcase him and see if they can get any takers.  Chiarelli is looking make a trade soon here for the stretch run.  If Subban gets dealt, that makes Zane all that more important to the Bruins.

Unless they trade Subban.  It could be that they brought up Subban now to showcase him and see if they can get any takers.  Chiarelli is looking make a trade soon here for the stretch run.  If Subban gets dealt, that makes Zane all that more important to the Bruins.

If I had to guess, I would say it is much more likely that they trade Zane than Subban. Also, I think the biggest risk for Zane leaving is the fact that he can become a free agent after 7/1/15 (or is it 8/1/15) and sign with another team. That is probably his best option since Rask will be in the Bruins net for the foreseeable future.

Very real possibility. 

Reading some of the stuff out of Boston, it sounded like they wanted him to come after last year, but "he had unfinished business".  One writer was portraying it like he was a senior and guaranteed to be in the organization next year.  I expect they're going to throw a big number at him, that he'd be a fool to leave on the table.  I also expect that's why we have the goalie commit from Slovakia (I think that's the right country?) coming next year.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but...

They brought Subban up so they could send Svedberg down for a conditioning assignment.  Niklas hadn't been getting any playing time and they wanted to get him a couple games in Providence to knock off some rust. 

Very real possibility. 

Reading some of the stuff out of Boston, it sounded like they wanted him to come after last year, but "he had unfinished business".  One writer was portraying it like he was a senior and guaranteed to be in the organization next year.  I expect they're going to throw a big number at him, that he'd be a fool to leave on the table.  I also expect that's why we have the goalie commit from Slovakia (I think that's the right country?) coming next year.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but...

Correct, Matej Tomek is from Slovakia. There was actually a good interview with him on the Pipeline Show where they talk to him about his commitment to UND.  His English isn't perfect but it's much better than my Slovakian :lol:. My favorite part of the interview was him saying 'North Dakota is always one of the best schools in the country, and this year best' or something to that effect. 

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media.php?s=1420088400&e=1438315200&sn=10 (Epsiode #9, Segment 5)

If I had to guess, I would say it is much more likely that they trade Zane than Subban. Also, I think the biggest risk for Zane leaving is the fact that he can become a free agent after 7/1/15 (or is it 8/1/15) and sign with another team. That is probably his best option since Rask will be in the Bruins net for the foreseeable future.

Great point on the free agent front! I forgot about that side of it. Bruins sure have some nice goalies in the system along with a all world already in lineup

I agree! Next trip to Omaha, we should post seat/section info early on & try get seats together! It looked like we were sprinkled about the arena. A small group of us were directly behind UNO's bench & we did our best to reverse all of the "U-N-O" crowd chants to "Let's-Go-Sioux" chants! I kid you not, Coach Deano even turned around and smiled at me one of the times. Of course, pounding on the on the plexiglass behind him might have also caught his attention! It was a fun weekend with fellow Sioux fans & I am loving the rivalry this series is becoming!!

Another classic trip to Omaha.  Two great games, either team could have swept the weekend.

1.  The radio station's North Dakota Hate Week didn't pan out.  Talked to many very friendly Omaha fans, happy to see us there, comments about how well UND travels, and some plan to come up to UND next year.

2.  Massa played outstanding.  He is the reason UNO won on Friday and the reason they didn't get blown out on Saturday.

3.  UND was tipping off their zone entry point on the PP way too early on Friday night.  UNO was pinching the puck carrier on Friday night.  Saturday night they did much better and were able to carry the puck into the zone.  The PP has become too predictable, opposing teams know where the puck is likely to go.

4.  UNO's blackout promotion was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   It didn't go.

5.  Left Omaha about 9:15 am Sunday morning and it took about four hours to make it to Sioux Falls.  I pushed hard right away, but numerous vehicles in the ditch, most still with occupants convinced me to back off and play it safe.  A lot of 35-45 mph driving with zero visibility at times.  And some idiots driving way too fast.  Driving conditions began to improve just north of Sioux City and really improved just north of Sioux Falls.

6.  Had good time at DJ's Dugout Saturday night after the game.  Had to be 90% Sioux fans.

7.  Nice to see you Ice Arena Man at The Mattress Factory and at the game.  Glad you made it home safe.

I agree! Next trip to Omaha, we should post seat/section info early on & try get seats together! It looked like we were sprinkled about the arena. A small group of us were directly behind UNO's bench & we did our best to reverse all of the "U-N-O" crowd chants to "Let's-Go-Sioux" chants! I kid you not, Coach Deano even turned around and smiled at me one of the times. Of course, pounding on the on the plexiglass behind him might have also caught his attention! It was a fun weekend with fellow Sioux fans & I am loving the rivalry this series is becoming!!

I dont think the UNO fans would like that, it might show that theres more UND fans, the UNO team might get confused and think they need to take the bus ride home haha

• Upvote 1

Glad to see all the Sioux fans made it home safe.  Took us 22 hours and a hotel stay in York, NE to make it home to Colorado..  Went 113 miles in 10 hours yesterday.  Glad to be home.  

Another great trip to Omaha and had a blast with all the Sioux fans.  It was nice to see live hockey with 2000 of my favorite people watching my favorite team.

Sioux Ya Ya!!!!

• Upvote 2

Another classic trip to Omaha.  Two great games, either team could have swept the weekend.

1.  The radio station's North Dakota Hate Week didn't pan out.  Talked to many very friendly Omaha fans, happy to see us there, comments about how well UND travels, and some plan to come up to UND next year.

2.  Massa played outstanding.  He is the reason UNO won on Friday and the reason they didn't get blown out on Saturday.

3.  UND was tipping off their zone entry point on the PP way too early on Friday night.  UNO was pinching the puck carrier on Friday night.  Saturday night they did much better and were able to carry the puck into the zone.  The PP has become too predictable, opposing teams know where the puck is likely to go.

4.  UNO's blackout promotion was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   It didn't go.

5.  Left Omaha about 9:15 am Sunday morning and it took about four hours to make it to Sioux Falls.  I pushed hard right away, but numerous vehicles in the ditch, most still with occupants convinced me to back off and play it safe.  A lot of 35-45 mph driving with zero visibility at times.  And some idiots driving way too fast.  Driving conditions began to improve just north of Sioux City and really improved just north of Sioux Falls.

6.  Had good time at DJ's Dugout Saturday night after the game.  Had to be 90% Sioux fans.

7.  Nice to see you Ice Arena Man at The Mattress Factory and at the game.  Glad you made it home safe.

Were you still at DJ's when they turned the lights out on us?