SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyone know when to bond will be paid off for the Alerius?

I looked this up for the sales tax vote thread.  The Alerus bonds are scheduled to be paid off in 2029 but the sales tax that funds the payments does not automatically sunset.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Some pretty nice improvements all around for football games this year.  

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/8/23/und-and-spectra-reveal-improvements-for-2018-football-season.aspx

Tremendous! Prior to these changes (particularly two years ago and before), everything was done half ass and anyone who has been to other college football games for comparison knows this. Glad the initiative was made to improve UND football gameday to what it should be.

Silver Bullet Bar: The Silver Bullet Bar at Alerus Center is a destination spot with a unique view for football games, concerts, and more. Featuring a one-of-a-kind bar on the SE bridge deck, the Silver Bullet Bar offers a birds eye view over the south end zone and is a great place to enjoy the event with friends and family.

Sounds like they may have taken up a few of the proposals made here, including the end zone bar :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tremendous! Prior to these changes (particularly two years ago and before), everything was done half ass and anyone who has been to other college football games for comparison knows this. Glad the initiative was made to improve UND football gameday to what it should be.

This is truly a fantastic description of the past.  Made me SO angry.  Glad to see how things are changing at the Alerus, and to a point, within the UND Athletic Dept.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

This is truly a fantastic description of the past.  Made me SO angry.  Glad to see how things are changing at the Alerus, and to a point, within the UND Athletic Dept.

That new company Hakstol recommended does great work. Metallica is coming in a couple of weeks and now they are stepping up for UND football.

• Upvote 1

Here is a map of the new tailgate configuration.  Nice to see they moved the single game tailgate up close to the building with everyone else.  Hopefully this should eliminate the huge gap between the reserved tailgaters who show up late and those that are out early that bought single game spots.  Student tailgate seems to be in a better spot as well.  Wondering if the the team shuttles will drop off at the far south end of the lot to walk through the student tailgate lot as well.  Seems like it would be a good idea.  I like the changes they have made overall inside and out for UND gamedays.  Looks like they got it right with the new tailgate configuration.

2018tailgate.jpg

• Upvote 1

So for all of us out of towners who couldn't make it to the game, how was all the non game aspects of the day?  Wondering if the things that the gameday committee came up with to improve the game day experience actually worked.  I did hear that they played the Chelsae Dagger song after TD's.  Man, I think that was suggested on this thread years ago!!  Anyway, just wondering how it all went.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So for all of us out of towners who couldn't make it to the game, how was all the non game aspects of the day?  Wondering if the things that the gameday committee came up with to improve the game day experience actually worked.  I did hear that they played the Chelsae Dagger song after TD's.  Man, I think that was suggested on this thread years ago!!  Anyway, just wondering how it all went.

Overall, I think the changes are a very good step in the right direction. 

The new tailgating setup was an improvement in my opinion.  It felt like Tailgate Village had it's own distinct area compared to the past.  That being said, there were not many people in that area.  The high winds and Thursday night game could have had a big impact on the casual fans attending.  One issue that will need to be addressed is that the students setup just to the west of the Tailgate Village in the single game tailgating section.  As an alum, I love the energy and fun that that students have pre-game, but I don't think the season tailgaters will appreciate it on a weekly basis right next to their spots.  

Someone previously mentioned the ropes added to the concession stands to queue people.  This made a big difference since people were not stretched across the concourse and customers were more efficiently served at the stands. 

I also like the use to Chelsae Dagger after the TD, but the time between the TD and XP is so short that I wish they would bring it back after the XP for an extended celebration leading into the kickoff.

One negative is the use of music when we are on offense.  Several times, we were at the line ready to snap the ball and music was still blasting through the speakers.  

1 hour ago, HawksHoops said:

One issue that will need to be addressed is that the students setup just to the west of the Tailgate Village in the single game tailgating section.  As an alum, I love the energy and fun that that students have pre-game, but I don't think the season tailgaters will appreciate it on a weekly basis right next to their spots.  

The Alerus Center dropped the ball on parking and tailgating in quite a few areas, but are easily fixable. They didn't have anyone out there directing people (and only a few people working the lots in general) and the students just set up where they were last year instead of where they were supposed to further to the east. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The Alerus Center dropped the ball on parking and tailgating in quite a few areas, but are easily fixable. They didn't have anyone out there directing people (and only a few people working the lots in general) and the students just set up where they were last year instead of where they were supposed to further to the east. 

I think they will get it together, but didn't yesterday - Our parking lot had changed as a Sioux Club member - they had about 5 guys milling about, 1 or 2  collecting $5, and absolutely no one directing anyone to the proper lane or showing them where the new parking was.  With more traffic it could have been frustrating as we got in the lane for paid parking because of no help from staff.