Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

What's Needed At The Alerus?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyone know when to bond will be paid off for the Alerius?

I looked this up for the sales tax vote thread.  The Alerus bonds are scheduled to be paid off in 2029 but the sales tax that funds the payments does not automatically sunset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Some pretty nice improvements all around for football games this year.  

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/8/23/und-and-spectra-reveal-improvements-for-2018-football-season.aspx

 

Tremendous! Prior to these changes (particularly two years ago and before), everything was done half ass and anyone who has been to other college football games for comparison knows this. Glad the initiative was made to improve UND football gameday to what it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the new changes and ideas. Glad to finally see someone putting some effort into the gameday experience. Only thing I don’t like is changing the time to open tailgating....I’m so excited for the season to start I want to be in the parking lot at 8am the first day! Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Silver Bullet Bar: The Silver Bullet Bar at Alerus Center is a destination spot with a unique view for football games, concerts, and more. Featuring a one-of-a-kind bar on the SE bridge deck, the Silver Bullet Bar offers a birds eye view over the south end zone and is a great place to enjoy the event with friends and family.

Sounds like they may have taken up a few of the proposals made here, including the end zone bar :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like they may have taken up a few of the proposals made here, including the end zone bar :D

Well they damn well better!!  We have all the answers!! :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tremendous! Prior to these changes (particularly two years ago and before), everything was done half ass and anyone who has been to other college football games for comparison knows this. Glad the initiative was made to improve UND football gameday to what it should be.

This is truly a fantastic description of the past.  Made me SO angry.  Glad to see how things are changing at the Alerus, and to a point, within the UND Athletic Dept.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

This is truly a fantastic description of the past.  Made me SO angry.  Glad to see how things are changing at the Alerus, and to a point, within the UND Athletic Dept.

That new company Hakstol recommended does great work. Metallica is coming in a couple of weeks and now they are stepping up for UND football.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is prohibiting "tablets" a thing now?  Don't most parents hand a tablet of some kind to their toddlers to keep them occupied while out in public?  And aren't some cell phones virtually the same size as -- and indistinguishable from -- some of the smaller "tablets"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait to see the Nickel!! Nice to see that on display for everyone and not hidden away somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Can’t wait to see the Nickel!! Nice to see that on display for everyone and not hidden away somewhere.

Be good to see the Nickel again, had that bad boy in my hands a couple of times. Lots of memories!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like they may have taken up a few of the proposals made here, including the end zone bar :D

It makes sense. It’s a huge hit at hockey games at the REA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a map of the new tailgate configuration.  Nice to see they moved the single game tailgate up close to the building with everyone else.  Hopefully this should eliminate the huge gap between the reserved tailgaters who show up late and those that are out early that bought single game spots.  Student tailgate seems to be in a better spot as well.  Wondering if the the team shuttles will drop off at the far south end of the lot to walk through the student tailgate lot as well.  Seems like it would be a good idea.  I like the changes they have made overall inside and out for UND gamedays.  Looks like they got it right with the new tailgate configuration.

2018tailgate.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for all of us out of towners who couldn't make it to the game, how was all the non game aspects of the day?  Wondering if the things that the gameday committee came up with to improve the game day experience actually worked.  I did hear that they played the Chelsae Dagger song after TD's.  Man, I think that was suggested on this thread years ago!!  Anyway, just wondering how it all went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So for all of us out of towners who couldn't make it to the game, how was all the non game aspects of the day?  Wondering if the things that the gameday committee came up with to improve the game day experience actually worked.  I did hear that they played the Chelsae Dagger song after TD's.  Man, I think that was suggested on this thread years ago!!  Anyway, just wondering how it all went.

Overall, I think the changes are a very good step in the right direction. 

The new tailgating setup was an improvement in my opinion.  It felt like Tailgate Village had it's own distinct area compared to the past.  That being said, there were not many people in that area.  The high winds and Thursday night game could have had a big impact on the casual fans attending.  One issue that will need to be addressed is that the students setup just to the west of the Tailgate Village in the single game tailgating section.  As an alum, I love the energy and fun that that students have pre-game, but I don't think the season tailgaters will appreciate it on a weekly basis right next to their spots.  

Someone previously mentioned the ropes added to the concession stands to queue people.  This made a big difference since people were not stretched across the concourse and customers were more efficiently served at the stands. 

I also like the use to Chelsae Dagger after the TD, but the time between the TD and XP is so short that I wish they would bring it back after the XP for an extended celebration leading into the kickoff.

One negative is the use of music when we are on offense.  Several times, we were at the line ready to snap the ball and music was still blasting through the speakers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HawksHoops said:

One issue that will need to be addressed is that the students setup just to the west of the Tailgate Village in the single game tailgating section.  As an alum, I love the energy and fun that that students have pre-game, but I don't think the season tailgaters will appreciate it on a weekly basis right next to their spots.  

The Alerus Center dropped the ball on parking and tailgating in quite a few areas, but are easily fixable. They didn't have anyone out there directing people (and only a few people working the lots in general) and the students just set up where they were last year instead of where they were supposed to further to the east. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The Alerus Center dropped the ball on parking and tailgating in quite a few areas, but are easily fixable. They didn't have anyone out there directing people (and only a few people working the lots in general) and the students just set up where they were last year instead of where they were supposed to further to the east. 

I think they will get it together, but didn't yesterday - Our parking lot had changed as a Sioux Club member - they had about 5 guys milling about, 1 or 2  collecting $5, and absolutely no one directing anyone to the proper lane or showing them where the new parking was.  With more traffic it could have been frustrating as we got in the lane for paid parking because of no help from staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number, attitude, and quality of staff can make or break an event. Wish I could be a season tailgater.... maybe when I get to heaven I could set something to welcome everyone else....or is there one started up there already!

a win is a win... goodjob!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×