SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN College Gameday NDSU Part 2

Jeremy_und2004

Iowa and Iowa State is a rivalry game, North Dakota State is playing a team no one has ever herd of that just moved up to D1. The UCLA at Texas is at AT&T Stadium in Dallas. The Georgia South Carolina game winner could end up winning the SEC east this season. There is Tennessee heading to Norman OK, to play Oklahoma. Illinois plays at Washington that could be a high scoring game it both team don't play defense. Penn State heads to play newcomer to the B1G Rutgers. Next week could be the end of Pelini at Nebraska if they lose at Fresno State. UCF could upset Mizzou in Colombia. Kentucky goes to take on Florida both unbeaten in the SEC east.

I wasn't lobbying for a return-trip to Fargo next weekend but the slate of games you suggested was pretty "blah" despite the presence of a few rivalries and/or big name programs. Some aren't even that - Illinois vs Washington? Are you kidding?

Iowa and Iowa State is a rivalry game, North Dakota State is playing a team no one has ever herd of that just moved up to D1. The UCLA at Texas is at AT&T Stadium in Dallas. The Georgia South Carolina game winner could end up winning the SEC east this season. There is Tennessee heading to Norman OK, to play Oklahoma. Illinois plays at Washington that could be a high scoring game it both team don't play defense. Penn State heads to play newcomer to the B1G Rutgers. Next week could be the end of Pelini at Nebraska if they loose at Fresno State. UCF could upset Mizzou in Colombia. Kentucky goes to take on Florida both unbeaten in the SEC east.

The only one of these that's a rivalry, realistically, is Iowa vs. ISU and the Bison just beat the 0-2 Cyclones. They do gameday on college campuses, so UT/UCLA is out. Not to mention Texas got DESTROYED yesterday. Illinois vs. Washington? Really? Lol. I'm an Irish fan, but Irish vs. Purdue is hardly a rivalry. Plus they'll be there for Nortre Dame vs. Stanford or vs. FSU a couple weeks later. As much as it nauseates me, going back to Fargo is good timing.

Little surprised Gameday chose Fargo for this week even though there aren't a whole lot of games that are great there are some I thought they would have chose over Fargo. The one I thought they would go to was Georgia @ South Carolina and I wouldn't have been surprised with UCLA vs. Texas, although I believe they did Gameday from that same site for week 1, or Tennessee @ Oklahoma either. 

Exactly!  It is about the story - and one that's as old as show business itself!  It's a classic Carny and Rube story you don't get...(and that's whats MOST funny!)  

Imagine a sports network trying to CONSTANTLY stay relevant and make people tune in to a marginal "FAN" show because of the ridiculous amounts of money they make - but only if they can put "asses in the seats" so to speak...you would need some kind of gimmick every week and constantly going back to the major college FB powers week after week, year after year, gets stale...hmmm...how do we freshen up the act?

I know (some espn wonk says) WE TAKE THE CARNIVAL to smaller towns and venues!   Sure they aren't as important in the world of MAJOR college football but going there is a novelty factor.  Fargo has SHOWN they'll turn out for a college football carnival.   Just like when the real carnival rolls in - ALL THE RUBES in Fargo show up and make a big deal about it.  They buy the cotton candy!  They take a ride on the carousel!  3 darts to win a BIG PRIZE - they're all in!  Meanwhile the carnies are laughing all the way to the bank.   Sure winning a giant stuffed rabbit might make you feel like a big man for a night but in the end - what do you really have?  A GIANT stuffed rabbit:-)    ESPN Gameday is ndsu's SUPERBOWL while the carnies laugh all the way to the bank.   Carnies and rubes...carnies and rubes

Great smack if that was your intent. If you are serious? Then---wow??????

Exactly!  It is about the story - and one that's as old as show business itself!  It's a classic Carny and Rube story you don't get...(and that's whats MOST funny!)  

Imagine a sports network trying to CONSTANTLY stay relevant and make people tune in to a marginal "FAN" show because of the ridiculous amounts of money they make - but only if they can put "asses in the seats" so to speak...you would need some kind of gimmick every week and constantly going back to the major college FB powers week after week, year after year, gets stale...hmmm...how do we freshen up the act?

I know (some espn wonk says) WE TAKE THE CARNIVAL to smaller towns and venues!   Sure they aren't as important in the world of MAJOR college football but going there is a novelty factor.  Fargo has SHOWN they'll turn out for a college football carnival.   Just like when the real carnival rolls in - ALL THE RUBES in Fargo show up and make a big deal about it.  They buy the cotton candy!  They take a ride on the carousel!  3 darts to win a BIG PRIZE - they're all in!  Meanwhile the carnies are laughing all the way to the bank.   Sure winning a giant stuffed rabbit might make you feel like a big man for a night but in the end - what do you really have?  A GIANT stuffed rabbit:-)    ESPN Gameday is ndsu's SUPERBOWL while the carnies laugh all the way to the bank.   Carnies and rubes...carnies and rubes

Serious? The "Carney" comes to Fargo for FREE and gives them exposure you couldn't possibly buy. Fans follow Gameday all over the nation so it brings money into the community. ESPN even covers much of the costs.  Worst analogy ever. 

• Upvote 2

The one I thought they would go to was Georgia @ South Carolina and I wouldn't have been surprised with UCLA vs. Texas, although I believe they did Gameday from that same site for week 1, or Tennessee @ Oklahoma either.

South Carolina got destroyed at home by A&M last week and Texas was AWFUL at home yesterday. Sorry, but getting blown out in front of your own crowd by BYU doesn't get you a GameDay ticket for the following weekend. Had SC beaten the Aggies, ESPN GD would be at that game, no doubt.

The only one of these that's a rivalry, realistically, is Iowa vs. ISU and the Bison just beat the 0-2 Cyclones. They do gameday on college campuses, so UT/UCLA is out. Not to mention Texas got DESTROYED yesterday. Illinois vs. Washington? Really? Lol. I'm an Irish fan, but Irish vs. Purdue is hardly a rivalry. Plus they'll be there for Nortre Dame vs. Stanford or vs. FSU a couple weeks later. As much as it nauseates me, going back to Fargo is good timing.

I don't know.  Those 0-2 Cyclones gave Kansas State fits yesterday.  Not that i want to give the University of Home Economics props, but...just sayin... 

It's hard to admit that I'm not jealous. Just another reminder of what an utter embarrassment and disappointment our football program is. Im just hoping our hockey team is in beast mode this season to help take the sting out of NDSU's second consecutive Game Day. 

The only thing that would make this even worse is if ESPN gives FU a TV deal on one of their networks. :blink:

And anyone who thinks what FU does is of no concern of ours, think again.  Exposure like this is priceless for recruiting, fundraising and so on.  Like I have said before, UND is becoming "...that other school in North Dakota".  Hiring Bubba to clean up the mess that is FB will hopefully change that.