SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN College Gameday NDSU Part 2

Jeremy_und2004

Are you that upset that UND fans were there? You seem very bitter that Sioux fans were there?

Not until I saw the raunchy sign, until then I was fine with it. Seemed a little strange, like a Bison fan wearing a Bison football jersey to a Sioux hockey game, but nobody gave them grief for being there. Even several Bison fans giving them fist bumps or high fives. But when people saw that sign, there were people yelling at them until someone took it away from them. Not sure who that was, if it was an ESPN guy or security or just a fan.

Not until I saw the raunchy sign, until then I was fine with it. Seemed a little strange, like a Bison fan wearing a Bison football jersey to a Sioux hockey game, but nobody gave them grief for being there. Even several Bison fans giving them fist bumps or high fives. But when people saw that sign, there were people yelling at them until someone took it away from them. Not sure who that was, if it was an ESPN guy or security or just a fan.

Doubt it was raunchy, if it was I'm sure it would have been all over the place with the media stirring up the story at every chance. Doubt it was any worse than "Crap on me Sam Ponder".

• Upvote 1

I might be able to understand buying one to put on display. It's nice to have a keepsake. Probably not something I would buy, but I don't really care how people spend their own money. But wearing one? That I don't get.

I dont understand it as well. How could anyone wear a championship ring he didnt earn.

They've always been on "equal footing" when they've played. You do not get to look back and say, well Behrns didn't do well so they weren't on "equal footing". Neither does ndsu. They like to blame scholarship reductions for a lot. Fact is, every time they've taken the field they've been on equal footing. More often than not, UND coaches and players have performed better.

This "equal footing" stuff is bull s**t.

i guess people are really reading a lot of meaning into my "equal footing" comment...what i meant was that ndac's transition is a little bit smoother than und's in terms of conference affiliation and no nickname crap hanging over them...now that every sport at und has a solid conference to sell to recruits and no nickname lawsuits hanging around the coaches are on "equal footing" and as the years go on away from the transition und will be winning most recruiting battles with the ndac like we have done for over a 100 years...quinton hooker being the most obvious example of what i meant by "hey quinton you can play in a conference that produced the rookie of the year in nba, get a great education at a world class university, and play in a beautiful basketball facility or you can play in an alphabet league of commuter schools, study either ag sciences or architecture, and play in a dump of a multipurpose facility???

easy choice i guess for quinton

Doubt it was raunchy, if it was I'm sure it would have been all over the place with the media stirring up the story at every chance. Doubt it was any worse than "Crap on me Sam Ponder".

The Sam Ponder sign was only offensive if you were wearing a Sioux jersey while holding it up. So he was fine.

Fighting Sioux flag on the balcony hell ya!

But nobody around it. WTH.

I heard the two UND flags on the two balcony's was staged. A security guard outside the apartment building told us that ESPN staff members asked permission of the occupants of the apartment room if they could hang the flags on their balcony to get the crowd riled up. That is why when cameras showed a shot of the flags on the big screen screen and the announcers made reference to the crowd about the flags the crowd got all stirred up. The reason why nobody was around the flags was because the apartment room was filled with NDSU fans and every time they came out on the balcony they were getting screamed at to take it down, so the people quit coming out on the balcony because of all the crap they were getting by the crowd.

I heard the two UND flags on the two balcony's was staged. A security guard outside the apartment building told us that ESPN staff members asked permission of the occupants of the apartment room if they could hang the flags on their balcony to get the crowd riled up. That is why when cameras showed a shot of the flags on the big screen screen and the announcers made reference to the crowd about the flags the crowd got all stirred up. The reason why nobody was around the flags was because the apartment room was filled with NDSU fans and every time they came out on the balcony they were getting screamed at to take it down, so the people quit coming out on the balcony because of all the crap they were getting by the crowd.

That makes sense. It was odd there were banners hanging there with no people in such prime real estate for this event. If a sioux fan put it there why didn't they stay, and if ndsu fans occupied the room, why didn't they take it down?

...and as the years go on away from the transition und will be winning most recruiting battles with the ndac like we have done for over a 100 years...quinton hooker being the most obvious example of what i meant by "hey quinton you can play in a conference that produced the rookie of the year in nba, get a great education at a world class university, and play in a beautiful basketball facility or you can play in an alphabet league of commuter schools, study either ag sciences or architecture, and play in a dump of a multipurpose facility???

Not trying to play NDSU devil's advocate, but we're still talking about the school that in 2006 knocked off Wisconsin and led off ESPN SportsCenter and in 2009 gave Kansas a run for its money in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, right? You make it sound like they're Dickinson State.

• Upvote 1

i guess people are really reading a lot of meaning into my "equal footing" comment...what i meant was that ndac's transition is a little bit smoother than und's in terms of conference affiliation and no nickname crap hanging over them...now that every sport at und has a solid conference to sell to recruits and no nickname lawsuits hanging around the coaches are on "equal footing" and as the years go on away from the transition und will be winning most recruiting battles with the ndac like we have done for over a 100 years...quinton hooker being the most obvious example of what i meant by "hey quinton you can play in a conference that produced the rookie of the year in nba, get a great education at a world class university, and play in a beautiful basketball facility or you can play in an alphabet league of commuter schools, study either ag sciences or architecture, and play in a dump of a multipurpose facility???

Sounds like someone is living in the past.

Face it: College Game Day is a made by media, made for media event.

When you have a 24 hour sports network, or two, or three, or "Ocho", you need material. If it can be (faux) dramatic, all the better. So, why not hang a few mentions of the (not rival) rival around town to stir the pot?

Congrats to Fargo for hosting it well, but let's be honest about what it is.

Katie O'Keefe-Hale tweeted that it was a UND alum who had the flag hanging

https://twitter.com/...451681906446336

It must be true...I read it on Twitter! :lol:

Of course something Sioux-related had to be brought up at an NDSU event - I wouldn't have it any other way. If College Game Day was in Grand Forks for the Sioux/Montana game, is there any doubt NDSU would be mentioned? Is the Pope Catholic?

Face it: College Game Day is a made by media, made for media event.

When you have a 24 hour sports network, or two, or three, or "Ocho", you need material. If it can be (faux) dramatic, all the better. So, why not hang a few mentions of the (not rival) rival around town to stir the pot?

Congrats to Fargo for hosting it well, but let's be honest about what it is.

You are underestimating the ferocity of college football fans. This isn't simply a media event. The college football audience is massive and passionate.

Not trying to play NDSU devil's advocate, but we're still talking about the school that in 2006 knocked off Wisconsin and led off ESPN SportsCenter and in 2009 gave Kansas a run for its money in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, right? You make it sound like they're Dickinson State.

once again i'll bring out the "equal footing" story...take a guy like ben woodside..if und and the ndac were both recruiting him at the time ndac could sell him playing d1 bball and when your a senior you have the chance to play in the big dance and yeah maybe we might even play a team like kansas in the metrodome??? or you could play d2 bball and have fun playing for a short at the d2 national tournament and play emporia state in front of 500 fans in pueblo, co???

easy choice for ben?

FWIW, Katie O'Keefe-Hale tweeted that it was a UND alum who had the flag hanging

https://twitter.com/...451681906446336

It looked like it was probably an alum...there was a guy on the balcony in a white pullover it looked like. NDSU folks were all in yellow or green for the most part. Regardless of who it was, it added a little bit of good natured fun to the morning.

i think quinton is the future and every other volleyball player that ashley is stealing right from under your feet....

UND will win recruiting battles just like NDSU will win recruiting battles. Most SU fans seem to think Dorn is running our women's sports into the ground(outside of track and softball). Current volleyball team/coach seem to be awful.

once again i'll bring out the "equal footing" story...take a guy like ben woodside..if und and the ndac were both recruiting him at the time ndac could sell him playing d1 bball and when your a senior you have the chance to play in the big dance and yeah maybe we might even play a team like kansas in the metrodome??? or you could play d2 bball and have fun playing for a short at the d2 national tournament and play emporia state in front of 500 fans in pueblo, co???

easy choice for ben?

If 'if's' and 'but's' were candy and nuts, there'd by plenty of treats for all the kids at Christmas.

I don't know what Ben would choose...Scott Guldseth chose to leave LSU and come to UND...people have their reasons for doing things...

If 'if's' and 'but's' were candy and nuts, there'd by plenty of treats for all the kids at Christmas.

I don't know what Ben would choose...Scott Guldseth chose to leave LSU and come to UND...people have their reasons for doing things...

Gulseth? Playing time, a chance to be a star at the level he played, a chance to play in front of a home town crowd since he was from Edinburgh?

Gulseth? Playing time, a chance to be a star at the level he played, a chance to play in front of a home town crowd since he was from Edinburgh?

Wrong on two counts. It's Guldseth and it's Edinburg, but let's not get bogged down in spelling...

My comment was in response to SIOUXFAN97's comment about something being a seemingly obvious choice. There are lots of factors involved and choices for some are not so obvious...