SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN College Gameday NDSU Part 2

Jeremy_und2004

Gameday should just set up shop in the pig research barns. It would only be right that they get the true NDSU/ Fargo experience by smelling pigshit all day.

I agree. It would be a unique experience. Would make ndsu extra lovable to the casual fan.

Hey good on them, this is a big deal for the state. 

Sorry Goon, but I am not jumping on the "state pride" bandwagon.  This does nothing for anybody but NDSU and Fargo (as if Fargo doesn't have a big enough head as it is).  Don't think for one second that if the roles were reversed FU fans would give us the same props you just did.  They would come up with all sorts of reasons why it doesn't matter or why it shouldn't be happening or.....well, you get the idea.  All this does is make UND look more irrelevant than it already looks (please note that I said look; perception is oftentimes just as important as reality) and makes our job of cleaning up the FB program harder than it already is.  Screw FU and screw Fargo.  End Rant.

• Upvote 2

ESPN Gameday going to Fargo two years in a row is huge for NDSU and their football program. Couple that with UND's poor performance yesterday, and it only further digs UND's hole deeper.

Bubba's resurrection job is going to be a real tough one, but I yet have confidence. For starters, have to develop something that looks like a viable offense. Defense and special teams already looked improved (give freshmen recruiting class and FBS transfers credit for that). Next season, Bubba should look into FBS transfers for the offense, IMO. Bottom line, need quality recruiting classes each and every year and continual discipline (turnovers and penalties) improvement.

Sorry Goon, but I am not jumping on the "state pride" bandwagon. This does nothing for anybody but NDSU and Fargo (as if Fargo doesn't have a big enough head as it is). Don't think for one second that if the roles were reversed FU fans would give us the same props you just did. They would come up with all sorts of reasons why it doesn't matter or why it shouldn't be happening or.....well, you get the idea. All this does is make UND look more irrelevant than it already looks (please note that I said look; perception is oftentimes just as important as reality) and makes our job of cleaning up the FB program harder than it already is. Screw FU and screw Fargo. End Rant.

So the "perception" is that UND "looks irrelevant"? Please expand on that. How badly would NDSU have beaten a sorry Robert Morris team yesterday?

No question the gap is widening between NDSU and UND and we need to step it up.   I agree, it's to the point we've become totally irrelevant to many people when it comes to football.   It's actually embarrassing how low we've gotten, and I'm to the point after yesterdays game I HOPE we get 3 wins this year, and I'm not so sure it's possible.    Come on.

• Upvote 1

No question the gap is widening between NDSU and UND and we need to step it up. I agree, it's to the point we've become totally irrelevant to many people when it comes to football. It's actually embarrassing how low we've gotten, and I'm to the point after yesterdays game I HOPE we get 3 wins this year, and I'm not so sure it's possible. Come on.

The gap can't get wider than it was last year.

So the "perception" is that UND "looks irrelevant"? Please expand on that. How badly would NDSU have beaten a sorry Robert Morris team yesterday?

As an institution, UND is not irrelevant at all.  We have great academics, a robust research program in multiple colleges and the community supports the institution better than Fargo supports NDSU as an institution.  My point is that UND has a lot to offer to potential student-athletes in whatever sport they are involved in.  But with our recent problems in FB, a lot of kids will never even consider UND.  They'll probably never even visit our campus, which I have heard is a big part of getting kids to go to school in a cold, northern climate like ours.  The fact that UND is a great four-year, research intensive university with a world-class aviation program, a solid four-year medical school, our entrepreneurship program that has taken off in the CBPA makes it all the more infuriating that our FB program is so abysmal.  This perception will make it harder for Bubba to turn the program around (don't get me wrong, I still think he will do it).  That is the point I was trying to make.  Because of our crappy Division I transition and our FB program cratering like it has, we are becoming almost forgotten in the region.  And that is a shame. :sad:

My favorite part last year is when they showed the UND flag last year and COrso said "It's not hockey season!"

LOL.  Even on their turf and with the success they are having, they still cannot escape the towering shadow of the 7-time NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Champions!!! :p  No wonder their fans have Jan Brady Syndrome when it comes to UND.

• Upvote 1

Three points:

1. NDSU is the three-time and defending FCS champion and is riding a 26 game winning streak.

2. Other games around the country all have something to take the shine off them, specifically, SoCar being thrashed already by TA&M so SoCar/GA isn't quite so special.

and I think very importantly ...

3. Gameday last week was at the MichSt/Oregon game. Did they really want to do a trans-continental run and setup with all that gear for SoCar/GA? Stop in Fargo on Sep 13. Be ready to go anywhere for Sep 20.

NDSU did what they needed to to get a repeat, but a lot of other circumstances (SoCar, Texas, IA State all already with losses) went into it also.

As an institution, UND is not irrelevant at all. We have great academics, a robust research program in multiple colleges and the community supports the institution better than Fargo supports NDSU as an institution. My point is that UND has a lot to offer to potential student-athletes in whatever sport they are involved in. But with our recent problems in FB, a lot of kids will never even consider UND. They'll probably never even visit our campus, which I have heard is a big part of getting kids to go to school in a cold, northern climate like ours. The fact that UND is a great four-year, research intensive university with a world-class aviation program, a solid four-year medical school, our entrepreneurship program that has taken off in the CBPA makes it all the more infuriating that our FB program is so abysmal. This perception will make it harder for Bubba to turn the program around (don't get me wrong, I still think he will do it). That is the point I was trying to make. Because of our crappy Division I transition and our FB program cratering like it has, we are becoming almost forgotten in the region. And that is a shame. :sad:

I doubt whether the average potential football recruit or football fan watching GameDay is thinking "yea, they're 3-time FCS champions, but how is their aerospace program?"

• Upvote 1

I doubt whether the average potential football recruit or football fan watching GameDay is thinking "yea, they're 3-time FCS champions, but how is their aerospace program?"

So you are saying that potential FB recruits don't care about academics at all?  Maybe at places like Alabama, Ohio State or Florida State.  But at our level (FCS) players are interested in getting an education because they likely will never make it in the NFL or even the CFL.  One example (not FB, but it's still college athletics) is Jenny Crouse picking UND over NDSU in WBB because UND had aviation and NDSU did not.  NDSU was the three-time defending D-II champion, but thanks to our world-class aviation program, we got a dominant center who helped turn the tide in our WBB rivalry with the Bison.  If you really think FB recruits don't care about academics at all, you are mistaken.

And as for what FB fans watching GameDay next week think, who cares?  They probably think of North Dakota as the dark side of the moon (whether it's UND or NDSU) and thus will turn their noses up at the whole thing.