SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN College Gameday NDSU Part 2

Jeremy_und2004

So you are saying that potential FB recruits don't care about academics at all?  Maybe at places like Alabama, Ohio State or Florida State.  But at our level (FCS) players are interested in getting an education because they likely will never make it in the NFL or even the CFL.  One example (not FB, but it's still college athletics) is Jenny Crouse picking UND over NDSU in WBB because UND had aviation and NDSU did not.  NDSU was the three-time defending D-II champion, but thanks to our world-class aviation program, we got a dominant center who helped turn the tide in our WBB rivalry with the Bison.  If you really think FB recruits don't care about academics at all, you are mistaken.

And as for what FB fans watching GameDay next week think, who cares?  They probably think of North Dakota as the dark side of the moon (whether it's UND or NDSU) and thus will turn their noses at the whole thing.

Plus depth chart. If the recruit knows they aren't going to get ahead in the depth chart they will choose a school where starting time is in the near future. Someone like Braden Hanson. He knew starting at UNC was not going to happen so he choose a school where we had an opening at QB. Worked out great for that part of the offense (too bad the rest of the offense and the whole defense didn't do much).  Gameday is not a guarantee on locking up a recruit. 

• Upvote 2

Plus depth chart. If the recruit knows they aren't going to get ahead in the depth chart they will choose a school where starting time is in the near future. Someone like Braden Hanson. He knew starting at UNC was not going to happen so he choose a school where we had an opening at QB. Worked out great for that part of the offense (too bad the rest of the offense and the whole defense didn't do much).  Gameday is not a guarantee on locking up a recruit. 

Good point, thanks for mentioning it.  Right now if you are a good athlete and a good FB player and you come to UND, you will have an excellent chance at starting or at least getting lots of playing time.  That is one thing Bubba will have to use early on.

So you are saying that potential FB recruits don't care about academics at all? Maybe at places like Alabama, Ohio State or Florida State. But at our level (FCS) players are interested in getting an education because they likely will never make it in the NFL or even the CFL. One example (not FB, but it's still college athletics) is Jenny Crouse picking UND over NDSU in WBB because UND had aviation and NDSU did not. NDSU was the three-time defending D-II champion, but thanks to our world-class aviation program, we got a dominant center who helped turn the tide in our WBB rivalry with the Bison. If you really think FB recruits don't care about academics at all, you are mistaken.

And as for what FB fans watching GameDay next week think, who cares? They probably think of North Dakota as the dark side of the moon (whether it's UND or NDSU) and thus will turn their noses up at the whole thing.

Boy, for a guy who has accused me of putting words in your mouth, you sure do the same without so much as a second thought. Nothing is absolute, however, if academics played such a big part of the recruitment of college football players, schools wouldn't need black-out games, chrome helmets, and 75 different uniform combinations in order to lure star recruits, would they?

Three points:

1. NDSU is the three-time and defending FCS champion and is riding a 26 game winning streak.

2. Other games around the country all have something to take the shine off them, specifically, SoCar being thrashed already by TA&M so SoCar/GA isn't quite so special.

and I think very importantly ...

3. Gameday last week was at the MichSt/Oregon game. Did they really want to do a trans-continental run and setup with all that gear for SoCar/GA? Stop in Fargo on Sep 13. Be ready to go anywhere for Sep 20.

NDSU did what they needed to to get a repeat, but a lot of other circumstances (SoCar, Texas, IA State all already with losses) went into it also.

this. SC beats A&M no doubt they would be in Columbia this week. The bad matchups this week are the main reason. Tenn/OU Im sure looked a little intriguing but they will probably end up in Norman at some point. They are probably looking at Florida/Bama for next week

this. SC beats A&M no doubt they would be in Columbia this week. The bad matchups this week are the main reason. Tenn/OU Im sure looked a little intriguing but they will probably end up in Norman at some point. They are probably looking at Florida/Bama for next week

they've been on the record that the SEC likely wont see gameday until October for Mississipi/Alabama.

Boy, for a guy who has accused me of putting words in your mouth, you sure do the same without so much as a second thought. Nothing is absolute, however, if academics played such a big part of the recruitment of college football players, schools wouldn't need black-out games, chrome helmets, and 75 different uniform combinations in order to lure star recruits, would they?

the SEC would be an FCS conference if academics mattered.  The aviation angle is advantageous though due to it's uniqueness.  Who else has aviation and d1 football?  Oklahoma and Purdue if I recall?

LOL.  Even on their turf and with the success they are having, they still cannot escape the towering shadow of the 7-time NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Champions!!! :p  No wonder their fans have Jan Brady Syndrome when it comes to UND.

In all honesty, I would have been more surprised if they HADN'T known about UND.  These guys do their homework (and at least a couple of them tweet regularly about college hockey as well).  I have no issues with UND Hockey.  Never have..... though I'm not a hockey fan really, but I'm happy when you guys do well in it.

What's more alarming though should be that by saying "it's not hockey season" they are basically acknowledging that UND doesn't have a football program worth mentioning on air.

So you are saying that potential FB recruits don't care about academics at all?  Maybe at places like Alabama, Ohio State or Florida State.  But at our level (FCS) players are interested in getting an education because they likely will never make it in the NFL or even the CFL.  One example (not FB, but it's still college athletics) is Jenny Crouse picking UND over NDSU in WBB because UND had aviation and NDSU did not.  NDSU was the three-time defending D-II champion, but thanks to our world-class aviation program, we got a dominant center who helped turn the tide in our WBB rivalry with the Bison.  If you really think FB recruits don't care about academics at all, you are mistaken.

And as for what FB fans watching GameDay next week think, who cares?  They probably think of North Dakota as the dark side of the moon (whether it's UND or NDSU) and thus will turn their noses up at the whole thing.

I can agree 100% with what you are saying.  Sometimes it's more than the sports program, but sometimes the sports program is enough for a recruit to say "I'll get 4-5 years of education for free from them and have an outside chance of going pro".  I'll never fault a player for choosing one school over another for academics, especially when one has a program the other doesn't.  (Aviation, Med, Law for example)

I can agree 100% with what you are saying. Sometimes it's more than the sports program, but sometimes the sports program is enough for a recruit to say "I'll get 4-5 years of education for free from them and have an outside chance of going pro". I'll never fault a player for choosing one school over another for academics, especially when one has a program the other doesn't. (Aviation, Med, Law for example)

Or, a more likely reason a player chooses a particular school...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/cassanova-mckinzy-spurned-clemson-because-didn-t-chick-015506961.html

Maybe as "bad" as they beat a bottom feeding Big Sky team like Weber State!!

Between the UND performance and the Weber performance this weekend, I'm hesitant to anoint "bottom feeder" status just yet.

Anyone know if the ac can "officially" take recruits to the gameday set or do they need to leave that to the recruits themselves?

The bad matchups this week are the main reason. 

If they don't want to go to bad match-ups they shouldn't be in Fargo this week. ;) 

The "Incarnate Word" Himself could be on the field and I'm not so sure that'd help the visiting team at Fargodome Saturday. 

South Carolina got destroyed at home by A&M last week and Texas was AWFUL at home yesterday. Sorry, but getting blown out in front of your own crowd by BYU doesn't get you a GameDay ticket for the following weekend. Had SC beaten the Aggies, ESPN GD would be at that game, no doubt.

Sicatoka, is there an echo in here?

The only game with 2 ranked teams are Georgia/SC. Maybe if Tennessee was better they would be at the Tenn/OU game, but when you win 3 NC in a row ESPN needs to give love to the FCS as well.

And to think Tennessee absolutely ran Phil Fulmer out of Knoxville...Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, and now Butch Jones.

I would like to hear from the Mods on how this thread is even remotely appropiate to a UND Fan Site. Don't give me that "We want to hear from everyone" crap - this thread was not started by someone who "Just wants to bring an outside perspective".  There is no way any other fan board would allow a thread like this to be posted much less stay. If all you want is trolls and BS you are well on your way to driving many legitimate UND fans who just want to talk about our teams away.

• Upvote 3

You didn't say it in so many words, but that is what it sounded like.  And what attracts recruits to a particular school varies from one kid to the next, but all the stuff you mentioned probably isn't in the top 5.  There are two types of "student-athlete": those that want a good education and a chance to play college ball and those that are just auditioning for the NFL Draft.  There are some kids that are both, but they are rare in this era of instant gratification and get-rich-quick thinking.