SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Gophers the 2014 Championship Edition

Vegas_Sioux

Anyone have video of the Sioux - gopher game a few years back in the frozen five tourney when the Sioux were down 3-0 and Hak called that time out and we scored 5 unanswered goals to win? If so post it please.

Sorry but it is the Final Five and it was SIX unanswered!

I was in grand forks visiting the weekend holy cross beat the gophers. We were drinking at some bar at a hotel watching the game. We weren't staying at the hotel but we knew the bar tender. Anyway a bunch of the holy cross parents were staying there and after the game a few players and their parents came into the bar to standing ovations (they were all decked out in HC gear). I tried buying one of the HC players a drink but he didn't take it, so i bought his parents drinks. The whole place was slapping all the parents and players on the back and buying them drinks, it was a riot.

That regional was one of my all-time best hockey experiences. I was in the bathroom after the first game and a Gopher fan comes up to me, and said, "hey we would have won." I said, "you're kidding right?" Skippy continued, "We would have won." I said Skippy, "your team is already on I29 headed home, you're done." For some reason Gopher fans like to confront you in the bathroom when your hands are tied up. :)

The building was so loud and then UND had to play Michigan. I sure Michigan was trilled to be in the arena after that.

If Minnesota advances, this will be the only bright spot: with conference realignment, we won't be expected to "close ranks" around the Gophers like we were supposed to in the old WCHA. That was always tough for me.

It has been nice to see the tweets this week from other NCHC schools. Miami has gone out of their way to express support for North Dakota. Here's an example from @MiamiOH_Hockey:

Congratulations to @UNDMHockey on advancing to the Frozen Four. Great effort this weekend #NCHC

Dave

I was in the bathroom after the first game and a Gopher fan comes up to me, and said, "hey we would have won." I said, "you're kidding right?" Skippy continued, "We would have won." I said Skippy, "your team is already on I29 headed home, you're done." For some reason Gopher fans like to confront you in the bathroom when your hands are tied up. :)

Goon...you were on the hoppah?

The hoppah!

Yea! The hoppah!

anyone listening to beyond the pond

total gopher rubes

I tried calling in got cut off

Total rubes...absolutely but they probably called 911 thinking you were having a stroke due to severe slurred and incoherent speech! ;)

Save a life..............

• Upvote 1

The Gophers have reason to be "arrogant" coming into this game.

They are a #1 seed playing the last team to get into the tourney.

That said, anything can happen in the tourney...Gopher fans should realize that better than most after the HC debacle.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if UND's season were to end next Thurs, but at the same time, this UND team is surprising everyone. If they pull yet another upset and beat UMN, I would guess that #tArrogance would disappear pretty quickly. At least until next season starts. :)

That said, anything can happen in the tourney...Gopher fans should realize that better than most after the HC debacle.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if UND's season were to end next Thurs, but at the same time, this UND team is surprising everyone. If they pull yet another upset and beat UMN, I would guess that #tArrogance would disappear pretty quickly. At least until next season starts. :)

Looking at the matchup on paper, Minnesota is the healthy choice. Good goaltending, good puck moving defenseman, and four lines deep with some gritty players like Serratore to add to the fold. They don't take a ton of penalties, but can match teams when they try to out hit them.

Its why I picked Minnesota to win the national championship and I'm sticking with my pick. I'm also picking continued arrogance, regardless of how they do.

I'm hoping the UND team that showed up fri at DU and the Miami series at the Ralph is the team that shows up on Thurs. I really like our chances if that happens.

Well, I can see I stirred up a few things, so I'll respond to a few of my favorites.

Also, Tiggsy, do you think that the fact that No. 1 lost to No. 16 had anything to do with it? Maybe that it was in OT? C'mon, dude. Get over your Minnesota "holier than thou" bullsnot.

Maybe that did have something to do with it but my point still stands. You guys brought it up that it was the loudest game played there, and that's sad to me if enough of you think that's true. I hope it's not. I remember one year WI was playing a regional at Mariucci and heavily favored but ended up losing. I enjoyed that game and there were plenty of MN fans around cheering against WI. But I would never call it the loudest game played. Plenty of big games involving the Gophers were much louder.

In your expert opinion on having pride for your own team first, where does trolling a rival message board rank?

One more thing...the REA was quite loud for two other games not involving the Sioux that I can recall - WJC Christmas Day USA/Russia and the gold medal game full of crazy Canadians.

I'll give you the WJC games as pretty good exceptions. Country does trump school in almost every situation.

I'm not sure how me being here does anything but show pride in my team. I'm defending my team and making points about them. Besides I'm sure enough of you out there are enjoying taking shots at me because I'm here. See the next quote as an example.

You said as much in you previous post. So then you are claiming to be grammatically challenged? It must require a wealth of school pride to troll this website. Or more likely, another gopher troll too stupid to actually have graduated from the University of Minnesota. Go back home and stroke your National American University diploma.

University of Minnesota alum, '96

There's not much of a point responding to this but I still will just for fun. And I will refrain from resorting to a cheap personal shot like that. Rip my team all you want, fine. No need to take it to that level. How is my posting here before a big game not showing my Gopher pride? Why does it matter where I graduated from? I'm a fan and that is all that matters And just for the record, even though me saying this is completely pointless in this conversation...

University of Minnesota alum, 2000

• Upvote 2

Well, I can see I stirred up a few things, so I'll respond to a few of my favorites.

Maybe that did have something to do with it but my point still stands. You guys brought it up that it was the loudest game played there, and that's sad to me if enough of you think that's true. I hope it's not. I remember one year WI was playing a regional at Mariucci and heavily favored but ended up losing. I enjoyed that game and there were plenty of MN fans around cheering against WI. But I would never call it the loudest game played. Plenty of big games involving the Gophers were much louder.

I'll give you the WJC games as pretty good exceptions. Country does trump school in almost every situation.

I'm not sure how me being here does anything but show pride in my team. I'm defending my team and making points about them. Besides I'm sure enough of you out there are enjoying taking shots at me because I'm here. See the next quote as an example.

There's not much of a point responding to this but I still will just for fun. And I will refrain from resorting to a cheap personal shot like that. Rip my team all you want, fine. No need to take it to that level. How is my posting here before a big game not showing my Gopher pride? Why does it matter where I graduated from? I'm a fan and that is all that matters And just for the record, even though me saying this is completely pointless in this conversation...

I was at that regional and I will say the loudest I have ever heard The Ralph was when the Sioux hit the ice before the Michigan game....without a doubt it was loud when Holy Cross won but not even close to 30 minutes later when UND came out of the tunnel.

I was at that regional and I will say the loudest I have ever heard The Ralph was when the Sioux hit the ice before the Michigan game....without a doubt it was loud when Holy Cross won but not even close to 30 minutes later when UND came out of the tunnel.

I was there too and I would definitely agree. There were comments from TH and the players in post game interviews that night and they said the same thing.

It compared to the Russia versus Canada game.... Very loud, I think the arena shook that night.

I was there, the HC game was very loud, the Sioux fans willed that victory, the very next game was louder, no doubt!

The Canadian WJ game was very loud, a tad louder then the Sioux/Mich game!

I was in a suite in 05-06?? Against the gophers and you could NOT hear the guy next to you! I still think that was the loudest I remember, the time Lord Farqwad walked on the ice ranked pretty high also!

Good times!

Go Sioux!

Again... this was the BIGGEST upset in college hockey history in the building of the No. 1 seed's biggest rival. THAT is the reason it was such a loud moment.

• Upvote 1

I remember one year WI was playing a regional at Mariucci and heavily favored but ended up losing. I enjoyed that game and there were plenty of MN fans around cheering against WI. But I would never call it the loudest game played. Plenty of big games involving the Gophers were much louder.

You're talking about BC beating Wisconsin in 2000. North Dakota was also at that regional. Let's compare the two...

Wisconsin losing in 2000:

1) Lost to Boston College (who would go on to play for the National Championship)

2) Lost 4-1 in a bit of a snoozer

3) Minnesota wasn't even playing at that regional (missed the NCAAs for the third straight year)

Minnesota losing in 2006:

1) Lost to Holy Cross...no #1 seed had ever lost to a #4 seed prior to that game. Probably the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament history at that time.

2) Lost 4-3 in overtime in a back and forth game

3) North Dakota was playing in the regional against Michigan immediately following the game

The two are apples and oranges.

As others have said, the loudest point was when North Dakota took the ice for the Michigan game. That was insane.