SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Gophers the 2014 Championship Edition

Vegas_Sioux

You're talking about BC beating Wisconsin in 2000. North Dakota was also at that regional. Let's compare the two...

Wisconsin losing in 2000:

1) Lost to Boston College (who would go on to play for the National Championship)

2) Lost 4-1 in a bit of a snoozer

3) Minnesota wasn't even playing at that regional (missed the NCAAs for the third straight year)

Minnesota losing in 2006:

1) Lost to Holy Cross...no #1 seed had ever lost to a #4 seed prior to that game. Probably the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament history at that time.

2) Lost 4-3 in overtime in a back and forth game

3) North Dakota was playing in the regional against Michigan immediately following the game

The two are apples and oranges.

As others have said, the loudest point was when North Dakota took the ice for the Michigan game. That was insane.

While Holy Cross came in as a #4 seed, that does not explain the entire story. The #4 seed was of the four teams in the regional. Holy Cross got the AHA autobid by winning their conference tournament. At the time, Holy Cross was ranked about #54 out of 59 schools in the Pairwise ranking. It was a much greater upset than a four seed beating a one seed. It was team literally ranked almost last out of all Division I hockey programs defeating a team that was ranked #1 or #2 in all of college hockey.

I remember one year WI was playing a regional at Mariucci and heavily favored but ended up losing. I enjoyed that game and there were plenty of MN fans around cheering against WI. But I would never call it the loudest game played. Plenty of big games involving the Gophers...

I was there in 2000 for every game in that tournament...Mariucci was at best, 2/3 full for all games at that regional.

Where are the quotes from Hakstol about wanting to eat baby Gophers for breakfast and treating this game like it's a war?

Yes, yes, yes, Slap Shot, we're all aware that Don Lucia is on the pope's short-list for immediate sainthood...

• Upvote 2

Yes, yes, yes, Slap Shot, we're all aware that Don Lucia is on the pope's short-list for immediate sainthood...

Of course not, I just want to read quotes from Hakstol treating this as the biggest fight since Thrilla in Manila as that's obviously what a real coach would do.

:hypocrite:

Come now Brian, everyone knows no one wears that badge of honor better than a Whioux.

I wish I hashtagged at the end of my posts. I'd hope to read more of his stuff, but I'm not sure when his shift at Jimmy John's ends.....

Haha he normally doesn't post like that. I'm guessing it was somewhat jokingly said, but either way, he's part of the US Military and has been serving over seas for awhile so you gotta cut the guy a break :D

The Gophers have reason to be "arrogant" coming into this game. They are a #1 seed playing the last team to get into the tourney. That said, anything can happen in the tourney...Gopher fans should realize that better than most after the HC debacle. I wouldn't be terribly shocked if UND's season were to end next Thurs, but at the same time, this UND team is surprising everyone. If they pull yet another upset and beat UMN, I would guess that #tArrogance would disappear pretty quickly. At least until next season starts. :)

Most Gophers fans I've talked to have basically said the same thing. This UND team could easily be one of the best 4 seeds ever in the NCAA tournament. The only reason they're a 4 is because of the conferences struggle in non-conference games. Minnesota is definitely the better team, but UND is still good and in a one and done format anyone can win on any given day. Look at Yale last year. UND winning this game wouldn't be as big of an upset as some people seem to think, IMO. We've seen Minnesota play some pretty awful games this year, all it takes is one of those and UND could blow them away.

Haha he normally doesn't post like that. I'm guessing it was somewhat jokingly said, but either way, he's part of the US Military and has been serving over seas for awhile so you gotta cut the guy a break :D

Most Gophers fans I've talked to have basically said the same thing. This UND team could easily be one of the best 4 seeds ever in the NCAA tournament. The only reason they're a 4 is because of the conferences struggle in non-conference games. Minnesota is definitely the better team, but UND is still good and in a one and done format anyone can win on any given day. Look at Yale last year. UND winning this game wouldn't be as big of an upset as some people seem to think, IMO. We've seen Minnesota play some pretty awful games this year, all it takes is one of those and UND could blow them away.

I think the gophers are a more consistent team....that's all. They find ways not to lose and that is a very good team characteristic. However, if both teams are playing well or bad for that matter it's a wash. The talent is very similar.