SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Gophers the 2014 Championship Edition

Vegas_Sioux

My favorite Sioux-gophers game was Jan. 22, 1999. Sioux go down 3-0 before Goehring put back in the line-up. 3-1 UMN after 1. 5-3 UMN after 2... Sioux put 3 on the board in the third to win the game. I believe it was Blake who got the 6th Sioux goal. The Old Ralph was louder than I have ever heard the new Ralph. Adam Houser was MN goalie giving up 6.

I used to have the game on VHS but what good is that now? I'd love to see video of it again sometime.

A few dead rodents later - "Fans - please refrain from throwing items onto the ice. Failure to do so will result in a penalty for the home team."

Houser.... My all time least favorite Gopher

• Upvote 1

Some interesting tidbits I took out of this article:

FF Capsule Preview: North Dakota

- UND's 20th Frozen Four appearance, Hakstol's 6th Frozen Four appearance in 10 years, and in 3 of those 6 appearances they've advanced with an OT win in the Regional final.

- Simpson leads UND in PP goals with 6, however he didn't have a shot on goal in either game at the Regional. He did, however, block 9 shots and he leads the nation in blocked shots with 107.

- Since November 30th, Gothberg is 18-5 and during that time has a nation-leading GAA of 1.71 and save percentage of .934.

- Grimaldi's hat trick against Wisconsin was the first multi-goal game of his career.

- Pattyn has 7 goals on the season - 4 of them have come in the last 9 games, and 3 of those 4 were on the PP.

So after all of those years of making such a big deal about recruiting only in state (and being "Minnesota's Pride On Ice"), now the Gophers are "America's Team"? I don't think it works that way. You're not the Cowboys. Come to think of it, can North Dakota be #NorthAmerica'sTeam since Thomas Vanek played at Minnesota? Dave
If we don't count Spirko ;)

Ha ha, good call! :)

Dave

Sorry but they were 19th. Its a fact. That chart above is not accurate. Google is your friend, learn how to use it correctly and you'll see they were 19th. In fact one of your UND buddies already posted they were 19th. Unbelievable.

Mariucci + Mateo..

MN hockey players on the MN roster represent 3.875 X 10-6 % of the population and ND hockey players on the UND roster represent 4.149 X 10-6 % of the population. Therefore UND has a higher percentage of its state population on the roster than MN has on its roster.

End of discussion?

Ain't math great! :p

The University of Minnesota has 21 Minnesotans on their current roster. The other four are from Colorado (Tom Serratore), Florida (Gabe Guertler), Missouri (Sam Warning), and Wisconsin (captain Nate Condon).

The University of North Dakota has 3 North Dakotans on their current roster. Luke Johnson and Paul LaDue are from Grand Forks, and Keaton Thompson is from Devils Lake.

UND has only four Minnesotans, the lowest total in recent memory. Two are Twin Cities kids: Conner Gaarder (Edina) and Nick Mattson (Chanhassen). Zane Gothberg hails from Thief River Falls, and Gage Ausmus is from right across the river in East Grand Forks.

Minnesota population (2013 estimate): 5,420,000

North Dakota population (2013 estimate): 723,000

Discuss. :)

Dave

Next year we will probably have 6 or 7 from Minnesota and 4 from North Dakota. I think we are seeing in recruiting that we are going back to recruiting Minnesota very hard based on commits and prospective recruits and I for one am very happy about it. It felt like Hak and staff might have got away from targeting Minnesota for a couple years and now have realized that they need to get back to making that a priority although it can be argued that maybe the cycle of Minnesota players wasn't as good for a couple years and now it is definitely coming back around. Being from Minnesota and playing high school hockey there I will take as many players from Minnesota on the roster as we can get and especially like when we can get someone from section 8.

So after all of those years of making such a big deal about recruiting only in state (and being "Minnesota's Pride On Ice"), now the Gophers are "America's Team"? I don't think it works that way. You're not the Cowboys.

Come to think of it, can North Dakota be #NorthAmerica'sTeam since Thomas Vanek played at Minnesota?

Dave

Spirko

Um sorry but you're wrong...

http://en.wikipedia....Hockey_Magazine

Holy Cross was not ranked 19 until March 20th (6 days before they beat the gophs) this was after they had already won their conference tourney on March 18th. Before that Holy cross wasn't ranked in the top 20 all season.... Maybe you should do your research next time troll.... that took me like 10 mins to find

Either way, with a record of 24-9-2, I find it absolutely impossible that Holy Cross was ranked 54th out of 59 teams in the PWR, like it was stated above.

Edit: I made it further into the thread and saw it was corrected. Carry on :D

If the timeout is #3. I can't imagine what #2 and #1 are going to be. Assuming they will follow suit with the other 8 and be pro UND, I would assume we aren't going to see the 1979 Championship game or the Wheeler OT winner in the Final 5. Any guesses on what they might be? I am probably guessing Porters wrap around OT game winner in the Regional Championship in Denver is going to make the top 2. But what will the other one be?

2005 National Semi-Final would be my #1.

Was at that game. UND basically made the Gophers tap out in that game. After a while we would dump the puck in and their D would just let our forwards come in and take it so they wouldn't get hit anymore.

If the timeout is #3. I can't imagine what #2 and #1 are going to be. Assuming they will follow suit with the other 8 and be pro UND, I would assume we aren't going to see the 1979 Championship game or the Wheeler OT winner in the Final 5. Any guesses on what they might be? I am probably guessing Porters wrap around OT game winner in the Regional Championship in Denver is going to make the top 2. But what will the other one be?

Without revealing the Top 2... I must note that these moments are all shaded UND green :) and that moments that aren't captured on video and aren't on YouTube aren't in my moments. So the '79 title game is OUT on both of those two points... I have teasers at the bottom of each article that briefly hint at the next day.

We've seen Malone's hit on Wehr's, so I'm thinking tomorrow will be the Frattin Express Train.