SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Gophers the 2014 Championship Edition

Vegas_Sioux

SiouxBomb and I were right behind the goal judge for that one. "That one looks like trouble!". Great memory.

I was on the complete opposite end. Like I said in the post, I had some idiot gopher fan jawing me and heard the weird collective groan go up and saw we scored. My buddies were all freaking out. I saw the replay, then I freaked out hahaha

My favorite Sioux-gophers game was Jan. 22, 1999. Sioux go down 3-0 before Goehring put back in the line-up. 3-1 UMN after 1. 5-3 UMN after 2... Sioux put 3 on the board in the third to win the game. I believe it was Blake who got the 6th Sioux goal. The Old Ralph was louder than I have ever heard the new Ralph. Adam Houser was MN goalie giving up 6.

I used to have the game on VHS but what good is that now? I'd love to see video of it again sometime.

A few dead rodents later - "Fans - please refrain from throwing items onto the ice. Failure to do so will result in a penalty for the home team."

In Frozen Four, A Rivalry Interrupted Is Rekindled

Interesting article from the New York Times about the rivalry and Thursday's game. Great quotes from current and former players, coaches, and some guy named Dave Berger.

Discuss. :)

Dave

This is a good article that gets skin deep on the rivalry. It is really awesome that this rivalry gets national coverage. I don't know about you but I woke up this morning and felt that level of anticipation ratchet up a notch. one little blurb in there does bug me a little. Grant Potulny is NOT from Grand Forks but East Grand Forks and as a North Dakotan, I don't claim him. Don't get me wrong there are a bunch of great Minnesotans, Parise, Oshie, Finley, Gleason, but he is not a great Minnesotan

My favorite Sioux-gophers game was Jan. 22, 1999. Sioux go down 3-0 before Goehring put back in the line-up. 3-1 UMN after 1. 5-3 UMN after 2... Sioux put 3 on the board in the third to win the game. I believe it was Blake who got the 6th Sioux goal. The Old Ralph was louder than I have ever heard the new Ralph. Adam Houser was MN goalie giving up 6.

I used to have the game on VHS but what good is that now? I'd love to see video of it again sometime.

A few dead rodents later - "Fans - please refrain from throwing items onto the ice. Failure to do so will result in a penalty for the home team."

Is that the one that they scores 3 times in the 3rd period in a short time frame? Can't remember, but I think Blais pulled the goalie and it was over for Minnesota.

This is a good article that gets skin deep on the rivalry. It is really awesome that this rivalry gets national coverage. I don't know about you but I woke up this morning and felt that level of anticipation ratchet up a notch. one little blurb in there does bug me a little. Grant Potulny is NOT from Grand Forks but East Grand Forks and as a North Dakotan, I don't claim him. Don't get me wrong there are a bunch of great Minnesotans, Parise, Oshie, Finley, Gleason, but he is not a great Minnesotan

Thats interesting. Everything Ive ever seen had him from GF. Guess I learned something new today.

The article also said "North Dakota was the only W.C.H.A. team anywhere close to Minneapolis." Poor Jan Brady...always forgotten :p

Potulny graduated from Red River??

That's why goof fans rub it in so much, he is from Grand Forks.

While Holy Cross came in as a #4 seed, that does not explain the entire story. The #4 seed was of the four teams in the regional. Holy Cross got the AHA autobid by winning their conference tournament. At the time, Holy Cross was ranked about #54 out of 59 schools in the Pairwise ranking. It was a much greater upset than a four seed beating a one seed. It was team literally ranked almost last out of all Division I hockey programs defeating a team that was ranked #1 or #2 in all of college hockey.

Umm sorry but you're waaaay off. Holy Cross was not 54th in the pairwise, they were 19th and a bubble team heading into the weekend of the conference tourneys.

Thats interesting. Everything Ive ever seen had him from GF. Guess I learned something new today.

The article also said "North Dakota was the only W.C.H.A. team anywhere close to Minneapolis." Poor Jan Brady...always forgotten :p

only thing that would make sense from that is BSU duluth JBSU and Mankato and wisconsin hadn't joined yet

Umm sorry but you're waaaay off. Holy Cross was not 54th in the pairwise, they were 19th and a bubble team heading into the weekend of the conference tourneys.

Um sorry but you're wrong...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_ice_hockey_rankings#USA_Today.2FUSA_Hockey_Magazine

Holy Cross was not ranked 19 until March 20th (6 days before they beat the gophs) this was after they had already won their conference tourney on March 18th. Before that Holy cross wasn't ranked in the top 20 all season.... Maybe you should do your research next time troll.... that took me like 10 mins to find

Yeah I've always seen him as from GF on everything, believe he played and graduated from Red River so it is logical to think he is from GF.

Um sorry but you're wrong...

http://en.wikipedia....Hockey_Magazine

Holy Cross was not ranked 19 until March 20th (6 days before they beat the gophs) this was after they had already won their conference tourney on March 18th. Before that Holy cross wasn't ranked in the top 20 all season.... Maybe you should do your research next time troll.... that took me like 10 mins to find

Dude you just proved my point. They were 19th in the pairwise JUST LIKE I SAID. How about telling your fellow UND fan he is wrong for stating Holy Cross was 54th. Quite a difference from 19th.

Dude..... you said they were 19th heading into the weekend of the conference tourneys.... FALSE. They were only ranked 19th because they won their conference tourney to get the auto-bid. They were not ranked in the top 20 any time before March 20th so they could have very well been ranked 54th in the pairwise though I don't know how you'd look that up. It was the first time a fifteen or sixteen seed beat a number one or two seed, since the field was expanded to sixteen teams. The point is that game is still considered by many to be the biggest upset in college hockey history. Arguing otherwise is just ignorance....

• Upvote 2