SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. Western Michigan - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I agree with this assessment - I'm not saying we should be the smash you in the face teams of the past, I'm saying we don't have any other real identity either. We are not a huge offensive threat that keeps flying up and down the ice or buzzes the net relentlessly and we don't have any real stars. Quick - describe this team's style in a sentence or two - what do you come up with. We seem to be a team of worker bees that are forever working the corners on our dump chase and cycle. No particulair puck skills stand out. Add in our power play (I'm not saying we never score, I'm saying it is very frustrating to watch) and you get our team - not bad and we are always hopeful, but not one of our best. Add in the corporate and expensive atmosphere of the Ralph and this is what you get. Three or four more years of this and the Ralph will be truely quiet - especially if we continue to hover around the outer edges of pairwise.

C'mon, don't be so negative. Better home series next year should help and on the brightside we'll be getting a new incoming freshman recruiting class. We'll have a strong goalie tandem next year with a great d-core. The offensive upfront can't get any worse, it can only get better.

Give less student tickets away, if they're not going to use them and get the rink full.

I'd rather have a complete team than a few superstars on the team. It's only going to help this year and the next two. Look how awesome the squad did last year when they relied on Kristo and Kight come NCAA tournament time? Got beat!

Yes, our recruiting classes haven't been great and this year team has too much commonality, but it has to get better. If it doesn't I don't exepct a few coaches to still be coacing when their contracts are up.

C'mon, don't be so negative. Better home series next year should help and on the brightside we'll be getting a new incoming freshman recruiting class. We'll have a strong goalie tandem next year with a great d-core. The offensive upfront can't get any worse, it can only get better.

Give less student tickets away, if they're not going to use them and get the rink full.

I'd rather have a complete team than a few superstars on the team. It's only going to help this year and the next two. Look how awesome the squad did last year when they relied on Kristo and Kight come NCAA tournament time? Got beat!

Yes, our recruiting classes haven't been great and this year team has too much commonality, but it has to get better. If it doesn't I don't exepct a few coaches to still be coacing when their contracts are up.

I'm not saying this IS our future, just saying that if it is I think the atmosphere will suck. Hopefully our new class can bring a little firepower and get things on track.

Agreed that the student section is dead and the Ralph is too quiet. I am very concerned about this going forward. I think it is a combination of a lot of things. One of them (and by far not the only one) is that this team has no identity or team personality - it's neither fish nor fowl. Gone are the days when visitors were in for a world of pain and big hits would fire up the crowd. Also not here is a team that relentlesly buzzes the net and keeps coming at you (see Blais's teams). What we have is a team that is inconsistant and seems to lack any star power. You never know what you are going to get. Even after victorys, the things that fans often take away from the game is negative - usually frustration about our power play not gaining the zone or our relentless dump, chase, and cycle. This team has no hard-nosed edge and no signature method of dealing with opponents. Combined with many other factors - some previously mentioned here - and a quiet Ralph is what you get. I hope this doesn't continue or become the norm.

in

Isn't it the role of the fans and cheerleaders to fire up the team? It isn't the purpose of the team to fire up the crowd. I thought the self proclaimed " best fans in hockey" have been a bigger disappointment than the team even early in the season. We have not demonstrated we are the best fans in hockey. When we play road games we have demonstrated we have some of the best Alumni in the country who like to get together with their friends from college, and do a much better job of cheering on our teams than our pathetic student section and home fans. These alumni are the same ones who followed our FB, WBB, MBB and hockey teams for years. They show up for hockey but many also show up for basketball and football. When they were students, They could electrify a venue and athletes sensed it and appreciated it. The student section never had to show a lack of class or ignorance by yelling "who's he, he sucks sh-- " when the other team was introduced. That is embarrassing. Our student section can't hold a candle to Wisconsin or Gopher student sections anymore and that didn't used to be the case. The student section has seldom been full all year. The fraternities and sororities used to attend athletic events together. Those are the same alumni who make the effort to attend the road games. We have had a great pep band for years but even they were lackluster last night. We the fans lacked the effort and did nothing to help this team energize. I know they should have had the energy with what was on the line but to win, these guys have to be at their best every shift every period, every game. Frankly, this is not our most talented team in quite some time. They played hard last night they just didn't play well. Students as usual started crude and ignorant with their opening salvo then spent the rest of the game twittering or texting about whatever else holds their limited attention span these days. They don't attend basketball or football either. I'm sure if this team finishes strong in the post season, they will jump back on the band wagon but they do nothing to help.

in

Isn't it the role of the fans and cheerleaders to fire up the team? It isn't the purpose of the team to fire up the crowd. I thought the self proclaimed " best fans in hockey" have been a bigger disappointment than the team even early in the season. We have not demonstrated we are the best fans in hockey. When we play road games we have demonstrated we have some of the best Alumni in the country who like to get together with their friends from college, and do a much better job of cheering on our teams than our pathetic student section and home fans. These alumni are the same ones who followed our FB, WBB, MBB and hockey teams for years. They show up for hockey but many also show up for basketball and football. When they were students, They could electrify a venue and athletes sensed it and appreciated it. The student section never had to show a lack of class or ignorance by yelling "who's he, he sucks sh-- " when the other team was introduced. That is embarrassing. Our student section can't hold a candle to Wisconsin or Gopher student sections anymore and that didn't used to be the case. The student section has seldom been full all year. The fraternities and sororities used to attend athletic events together. Those are the same alumni who make the effort to attend the road games. We have had a great pep band for years but even they were lackluster last night. We the fans lacked the effort and did nothing to help this team energize. I know they should have had the energy with what was on the line but to win, these guys have to be at their best every shift every period, every game. Frankly, this is not our most talented team in quite some time. They played hard last night they just didn't play well. Students as usual started crude and ignorant with their opening salvo then spent the rest of the game twittering or texting about whatever else holds their limited attention span these days. They don't attend basketball or football either. I'm sure if this team finishes strong in the post season, they will jump back on the band wagon but they do nothing to help.

To be fair, half the band was in Bemidji for the women's game. But everything else, as a student, I agree 1000%. I was going to make my points, but its spelled out perfectly in this

I agree with the comments about the student sections. The other teams being introduced to that chatter is embarrassing.

As far as this whole road game fans are better and louder than home fans bs! Are you saying that the road fans dont go to home games? If they did why arent they loud at home?

We go to the Final Five every year because we plan way ahead for that one, but that is the extent of our away game travel. That is not by choice either!

I would love to claim I go to all away games, but with teenagers that are in sports I can hardly make every home game these days!

Especially with the Eastside pride being on fire this year! #Greenwave

in

I don't disagree with this assessment of the current student section - no energy at all. I come from an era where (as others have mentioned) we stood outside and froze just to get in to see a team that wasn't that good. Let's face it though. The Ralph has botched the student section going back to the opening where the big emphasis for students was getting them to sit down so corperate could see the games better from their boxes. Rather than trying to enhance the student experience it monitored them into their seats. Let's face it - the Ralph caters to money, corporations, and the rich. Who sits at ice level? Certainly not the most rabid fans, but the ones that can afford the asking price. It drives me nuts to see the parade of people by where I sit who are there socially because someone offered them tickets to enhance their business. Well, now that the games aren't real exciting, things are too quiet. This is a problem on many levels and other than this discussion board I'm not too sure that anyone is concerned as long as the profits from $9 beer still comes in. I wish I had more solutions.

I come from an era where (as others have mentioned) we stood outside and froze just to get in to see a team that wasn't that good. Let's face it though. Let's face it - the Ralph caters to money, corporations, and the rich. Who sits at ice level? It drives me nuts to see the parade of people by where I sit who are there socially because someone offered them tickets to enhance their business. This is a problem on many levels and other than this discussion board I'm not too sure that anyone is concerned as long as the profits from $9 beer still comes in.

Couldn't agree more, Irish.

He was equally as bad when they played in Western Michigan. Perhaps he thinks since he coached NHL teams he can intimidate refs. I would hope that isn't the case, but I would think that type of whining may backfire at some point. A lot of refs with egos like Todd Anderson may not like being called out so blatantly and their egos may cause them to be more confrontational with Murray.

It's true, but it surprises me. When Murray first started at WMU, I remember hearing a quote he had given about how he thought refs in college hockey spent to much time explaining things to the bench (in comparison to the NHL), and that they should just make the call and move on. Fast forward a few years, and he's a huge whiner.

It's true, but it surprises me. When Murray first started at WMU, I remember hearing a quote he had given about how he thought refs in college hockey spent to much time explaining things to the bench (in comparison to the NHL), and that they should just make the call and move on. Fast forward a few years, and he's a huge whiner.

Sad but true. He must have discovered it works.

This is not the most talented team we've had by any stretch. If we are to do any damage it will be due to an amazing team effort. Dave needs to channel his inner Herbie for the playoff run.

Western Michigan is not a "junk" team- they have an NHL coach and have been to the dance- they've done well in the second half, and to split isn't the end of the world- in fact, it might be a great wake-up call.

This isn't a world beater Sioux team with oodles of talent like the Parise team or the DOT team or the Pony Express team. We had 3, maybe 4 teams in those years that were elite talent- top 2 in the country on talent alone- but didn't get it done.

• Upvote 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3qqoBGoVI

Around 6:35 timeframe

Western Michigan is not a "junk" team- they have an NHL coach and have been to the dance...

This isn't a world beater Sioux team with oodles of talent like the Parise team...

I seem to recall that Parise team getting smoked twice in a sweep at Mankato...it happens.

I remember reading that article with that quote as well.

Quite the turnaround for him.

Holy smokes, I was there too and got plenty ragged on by Mankato fans around me. Good memories! ;-)

The fans were quiet all weekend. This was my one weekend a year up in GF with my buddies and we commented on it both nights. Each night tried to get "Let's go Sioux!" going and had no takers. NONE.

I know it's a chicken and egg question......should the team get the fans going or the fans get the team going? I don't know the answer but I think if the team isn't giving the fans much to cheer, for, and as a fan you're hoping for better, why not try to ramp up the energy a bit and see what happens? Nothing doing this weekend. So for me, the fans can take a share of the blame.

But the team just didn't have "it" on Saturday. Maybe it was a pressure thing. Maybe it was just the way things go for a team that lacks a ton of high end talent throughout the lineup. Or maybe it was senior night, and too many gripped-too-tightly sticks. I read recently (Herald?) an article where it sounded like some coaches don't particularly look forward to Senior night because the emotions can have a negative effect on the team.

And for those of us who thought that after Friday's game that Western would have nothing to play for and roll over Saturday, boy were we wrong. Thinking about it, only a character-less team would do that. A good team, a well coached team like Western Michigan is going to come back and try to spoil senior night and the Penrose cup for the other team. And that's the way it worked out.

Dagies - I hope you wrong on the "Maybe it was a pressure thing", because the pressure begins ramping up big time starting next Friday and will only continue to grow each weekend thereafter that the Sioux are still able to be playing. You could argue that if they are safely in the national tournament by winning the best 2 out of 3 this weekend, then the pressure is off for the Frozen faceoff. But the following weekend the pressure increases 10 fold. If the team/coaches can't handle the pressure of Senior night/penrose cup then we are in a world of hurt if/when the national tournament begins.

I agree with Yerman19, in that this isn't a tremendously talented team as compared to some other Sioux teams. As such in order to win on any given night, i think this team must 1) be emotionally ready to play every night 2) must outwork their opponent every night 3) must execute at a very high level every night, 4) must play with a greater desire than their opponent every night, and 5) must get some bounces to go their way.

I thought that the Sioux did pretty well with #'s 1, 2, but fell short on #3 (short handed goal was obviously a killer) and more importantly on #4. For whatever reason, I thought WM seemed to play with significantly more grit/desire than the Sioux for most of the night. Had #5 gone the SIoux' way they may still have won, but I don't think they got a lot of favorable bounces either.

Hopefully we start an eight game run of great puck luck on Friday!!!

This is not the most talented team we've had by any stretch. If we are to do any damage it will be due to an amazing team effort. Dave needs to channel his inner Herbie for the playoff run.

Western Michigan is not a "junk" team- they have an NHL coach and have been to the dance- they've done well in the second half, and to split isn't the end of the world- in fact, it might be a great wake-up call.

This isn't a world beater Sioux team with oodles of talent like the Parise team or the DOT team or the Pony Express team. We had 3, maybe 4 teams in those years that were elite talent- top 2 in the country on talent alone- but didn't get it done.

I guess there could be a first for everything.

I was trying to think of a team that was thought to be dead without a ton of talent and then came on to make the championship game. The one that came to mind was the 2004-2005 team: http://collegehockeystats.net/0405/rosters/ndkm But when I look at the roster I think holy smokes there was some good players on this team including four current NHL players and a number of players that played pros. But that team needed guys like Fabian, Massen and Canady to show the young guys how it's done. This was the team that took a lot of penalties including 186 minutes by Matt Greene that year but learned late in the season how to be more disciplined. When they sent us East to play BU and BC we literally beat the crap out of those two teams and to this day that BC game is a fond memory.

This year's team needs the defensemen to contribute in scoring and not just play D. When that happens we win. Time for Schmaltz and Simpson to start scoring again.

I was trying to think of a team that was thought to be dead without a ton of talent and then came on to make the championship game. The one that came to mind was the 2004-2005 team: http://collegehockey...05/rosters/ndkm But when I look at the roster I think holy smokes there was some good players on this team including four current NHL players and a number of players that played pros. But that team needed guys like Fabian, Massen and Canady to show the young guys how it's done. This was the team that took a lot of penalties including 186 minutes by Matt Greene that year but learned late in the season how to be more disciplined. When they sent us East to play BU and BC we literally beat the crap out of those two teams and to this day that BC game is a fond memory.

This year's team needs the defensemen to contribute in scoring and not just play D. When that happens we win. Time for Schmaltz and Simpson to start scoring again.

The 11-12 team (they did have talent) is a great example of a team that was suppose to be dead in the water but came back and made the regional championship game, only to lose in a heart breaker. That roster was banged up and players that normally didn't play had to step up and show what Sioux hockey was all about. That team had AWESOME leadership, starting with Mario. I think this years team lacks that intense leader.

Similar story out of Mankato on Saturday...all the Mavericks had to do to earn a share of their first-ever MacNaughton Cup was defeat Michigan Tech. Alas, the best they could do was tie, 1-1, so Ferris State won the cup outright.

Purple Cows are #17 in Pairwise...gonna need to win the WCHA tourney to get into the NCAA's.