SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. Western Michigan - Saturday

AZSIOUX

..."PISSED AWAY a golden opportunity to win the NCHC, on Senior Night, at home, against a team with nothing to play for but pride".

Played our big rival on the last night of the softball season a few years ago...we had already been eliminated from title contention but if they won, they would be league champs. You bet your a$$ we wanted to ruin their whole night...and we did. Playing for pride nothing - Western wanted to ruin North Dakota's whole weekend tonight - mission accomplished.

Lost quite a bit of respect for Andy Murray this weekend. He is constantly whining to the officials. After tonight's game he start pointing and yelling at one of the officials and then turned around and went to the locker room without shaking hands. What a complete putz.

He was a whining brat on the bench, but I saw him shake hands with Hak, so I know that happened. But, yes, I also lost some respect for him, especially when he was complaining about the shoulder-to-the-head call where Drake almost got injured.

Did one with Tim Hennessey. Where did you hear that?

I was leaving the CC game and talking with a friend of mine who said he didn't do a post game with Hennessy... I found that hard to believe and as it turns out, it sounds like he was incorrect.

He was a whining brat on the bench, but I saw him shake hands with Hak, so I know that happened. But, yes, I also lost some respect for him, especially when he was complaining about the shoulder-to-the-head call where Drake almost got injured.

. He didn't stay out and shake hands with the players.

Played our big rival on the last night of the softball season a few years ago...we had already been eliminated from title contention but if they won, they would be league champs. You bet your a$$ we wanted to ruin their whole night...and we did. Playing for pride nothing - Western wanted to ruin North Dakota's whole weekend tonight - mission accomplished.

All I can say is this was a huge opportunity lost. And, that I hope the young guys remember it, and take it out on WMU later. But, they probably won't, because the coaches don't like stressing that kind of thing today. In fact, the coaches seem to want to make every game just another game, which I think is a mistake. Sure, you may take the pressure off a bit, but it can backfire, like it did tonight. Let the players get UP for a game. Why not?

Lost quite a bit of respect for Andy Murray this weekend. He is constantly whining to the officials. After tonight's game he start pointing and yelling at one of the officials and then turned around and went to the locker room without shaking hands. What a complete putz.

He was equally as bad when they played in Western Michigan. Perhaps he thinks since he coached NHL teams he can intimidate refs. I would hope that isn't the case, but I would think that type of whining may backfire at some point. A lot of refs with egos like Todd Anderson may not like being called out so blatantly and their egos may cause them to be more confrontational with Murray.

i think UND and Grand Forks likes winners

when was the last time UND hockey won a natty?

just a simple ?

never seen the student section so empty this year since the ralph opend

are they getting tierd of getting smoked in the ncaa;s

Idk

up to to decide

I was leaving the CC game and talking with a friend of mine who said he didn't do a post game with Hennessy... I found that hard to believe and as it turns out, it sounds like he was incorrect.

Hakstol did all of the interviews.

Zane is 2-2 in his last 4 but has only given up 6 goals in that stretch. UND has 4 goals scored total in the last 3 games...and Pattyn has half of those.

Anyone see where this team needs to pick it up moving forward?

Inaugural NCHC title/Cup on the line & Sr. night last night to boot and that's the effort those 20 decided to put forth?

Schmaltz is an exceptional talent but he skated like he wanted to be anywhere else. Mattson for a Jr. is so erratic with his play. Mark Mac looked like he was channeling his inner Mitch Mac last night. With all that was on the line really surprised by the effort and play. Should get healthy though offensively next week with CC coming to town.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. LaDue has had a great year, but if you're going to take a penalty there take the man down and live to fight another day. Seemed like he wasn't trying to draw a penalty and did enough to draw one while at the same time letting the guy score. Worst possible thing to happen in that scenario.

We had a 5 minute major PP...haul him down immediately, play 4x4 for 2 minutes then have a minute left with a man advantage. Basically for LaDue it was not knowing the timing of the situation.

The shorthanded goal was actually a freakish good pass and a great play by the shooter. Our mistake was taking the penalty and letting him get to the net.

That freakish good pass was off the stick of Michael Cichy. Sadly. And yeah, LaDue should have hauled down the shooter. Zane would have stoned him on the penalty shot.

That freakish good pass was off the stick of Michael Cichy. Sadly. And yeah, LaDue should have hauled down the shooter. Zane would have stoned him on the penalty shot.

It was a defensive break-down, start to finish... Let's not forget that WMU could have easily had 2-3 more goals. Had Zane stoned the shooter, it would have still been a tie game, and UND was not showing much if any offensive prowess. You could feel that the outcome of this game was not going to be good in the first minute of the third. Sloppy puck handling the whole game and if the boys were out there giving it their all last night they sure fooled me. If they play like that in the NCAAs, they are in for a world of trouble.

WMU is playing tough. I remember when we did that.

That is the problem in a nutshell. In all the games I have watched over the past 40 years I don't remember a Sioux team getting outworked at home like that when hardware was on the line. It pains me to say it but this team looks more like a Gopher team, and I think it is all about the recruiting. This line up doesn't have enough team players and character, just too many talented individuals who are passengers when the going gets tough.

This team finished higher than i expected. Played great last 2 months and laid an egg tonight. CC is a better matchup anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami beat St.Cloud.

I have to agree with that. When UND was (4-7-2) who would have thought that they'd end up 20-11-3, since that time they have gone 16-4-1, and only lost three times during the second half.

• Upvote 1

This line up doesn't have enough team players and character, just too many talented individuals who are passengers when the going gets tough.

I could argue that it has too many team players. There are high end talent, difference makers that could be on this team right now, but are playing elsewhere...like the NHL. You can't just rely on the Gaarders to walk on and replace what guys like JT Miller would have provided. I think this team is playing well above it's talent level right now.

• Upvote 1