SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. Western Michigan - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I stood outside old REA for THREE HOURS in -20 weather to make sure I was among the first of only 3,000 students allowed inside the building for the Sioux/Gopher '88-'89 series. We stood up and cheered for the team before they even took the ice for warm-ups. The team feeds off of the fans, especially the students. Sounds like the team could have used some help tonight from them.

Before, three words got the whole rink going. Lets go Sioux. Now, its so uneasy in that place when that cheer starts that it dies down so quickly and its back to sitting on hands and waiting for something good to happen. Not pinning a loss on a crowd, ever.....But there were times when teams walked into the Ralph and were beaten before warmups.

I think this is a better road team. Let's face it; those of us who travel to watch these guys are more inspiring than the home crowd these days. More gets written in the papers about the road crowds than how tough our fans were on the opponents.

Anyway...

SCSU probably deserved the Penrose since they were 3-1 against us. Let's face it; in the old WCHA it would've come down to head to head. We were only in the drivers seat due to a new tie breaker scheme.

Regroup and start a new streak!

• Upvote 1

I think this is a better road team. Let's face it; those of us who travel to watch these guys are more inspiring than the home crowd these days. More gets written in the papers about the road crowds than how tough our fans were on the opponents.

Anyway...

SCSU probably deserved the Penrose since they were 3-1 against us. Let's face it; in the old WCHA it would've come down to head to head. We were only in the drivers seat due to a new tie breaker scheme.

Regroup and start a new streak!

Solid post. Exactly right. Move on and start a new one.

Go SIOUX!

I stood outside old REA for THREE HOURS in -20 weather to make sure I was among the first of only 3,000 students allowed inside the building for the Sioux/Gopher '88-'89 series. We stood up and cheered for the team before they even took the ice for warm-ups. The team feeds off of the fans, especially the students. Sounds like the team could have used some help tonight from them.

Gopher series sure. Students did the same last time the gophers were in town. No gophers on town for a few seasons. Mix that with Less national coverage, less high end prospects, more cold temps, higher ticket prices, a quiet home crowd that sits on their hands to begin with, and no Sioux name, and you have where und hockey is today.

Gopher series sure. Students did the same last time the gophers were in town. No gophers on town for a few seasons. Mix that with Less national coverage, less high end prospects, more cold temps, higher ticket prices, a quiet home crowd that sits on their hands to begin with, and no Sioux name, and you have where und hockey is today.

Exactly my point. UND hockey has the perception today of being in decline, and I can't stand it.

Before, three words got the whole rink going. Lets go Sioux. Now, its so uneasy in that place when that cheer starts that it dies down so quickly and its back to sitting on hands and waiting for something good to happen. Not pinning a loss on a crowd, ever.....But there were times when teams walked into the Ralph and were beaten before warmups.

No worries - it's only a matter of time before the chants of "let's go non-offensive vegetarian go-green glittery unicorns" rains down from the rafters of REA...

That's BS and excuses. "National Coverage" wasn't even on the radar when I was in school and our crowds rocked.

St. Cloud has started a legacy under Motzko lately and seems to be getting the most of their players. Hopefully the Sioux will add to their legacy from this point on in the season. It is nice to see the board so active again tonight, although that seems like it has become the norm --- if the Sioux lose.

St. Cloud has been better the last couple of years, but a legacy?

Exactly my point. UND hockey has the perception today of being in decline, and I can't stand it.

Ndsu basketball got 45 minutes post game on kvly in hd for senior night - pre empted the outdoor national NHL game. Und just got a 4 minute brief of their senior night in piss poor sd quality. Sure I know the hd truck was in South Dakota. Hd wasn't promised this year. Don't blame midco. Don't blame und. Just accept the mediocrity!

It was an hour wait for any other series. My point was that we went to CHEER on UND athletes - whether it was women's basketball or men's hockey. We didn't sit on our hands demanding to be entertained.

Too many fans in the new REA more concerned with their next beer...I've said that since the place opened.

• Upvote 1

Mix that with Less national coverage, less high end prospects, more cold temps, higher ticket prices, a quiet home crowd that sits on their hands to begin with, and no Sioux name, and you have where und hockey is today.

No Twitter, no Facebook, no SiouxSports.com...just the newspaper the next day telling you if the team won or lost at Northern Michigan or Michigan Tech.

Less national coverage?

No Twitter, no Facebook, no SiouxSports.com...just the newspaper the next day telling you if the team won or lost at Northern Michigan or Michigan Tech.

Less national coverage?

I can remember living in the SF bay area in the early 80s having to make phone calls the next day to find out if they won. Not the best years for a Sioux fan to be in a hockey dead zone.

Now, as to other things . . .

St. Cloud has been better the last couple of years, but a legacy?

I guess time will tell if legacy is the word, as I said "started". It may just be a run of good players, but at no point in the past have they had as much success, winning their first two league titles and a trip to the Frozen Four, along with having a lot of success against the Sioux.

This whole thing with the Ralph being too quit is a byproduct of not having a name. The lack of students is baffling but everywhere I read its not just a UND problem. From the State high school torny to the NHL. I think it has to do with too many options and not the only game in town.

This whole thing with the Ralph being too quit is a byproduct of not having a name. The lack of students is baffling but everywhere I read its not just a UND problem. From the State high school torny to the NHL. I think it has to do with too many options and not the only game in town.

What other options were there in Grand Forks tonight?

The name has nothing to do with the Ralph being too quiet. As far as 99% of the fans (or even higher than that) are concerned, they're still the Sioux until a new name is in town.

As far as the NHL is concerned, they're about on par with two years ago, and the season isn't over yet (less than 1% difference in attendance). They've also competed with a much harsher North American winter this year and the Olympics. I am not going to compare this NHL season to last year's shortened season since a shortened season creates an obvious boost in attendance.

They have no choice but to put this one behind them, and get ready for the playoffs. However, in my personal notes where I track each game, I had to say... "PISSED AWAY a golden opportunity to win the NCHC, on Senior Night, at home, against a team with nothing to play for but pride". I'll most certainly get bashed for this, but that's how I feel, so I guess I don't care.

Lost quite a bit of respect for Andy Murray this weekend. He is constantly whining to the officials. After tonight's game he start pointing and yelling at one of the officials and then turned around and went to the locker room without shaking hands. What a complete putz.