SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. Western Michigan - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I think this is a better road team. Let's face it; those of us who travel to watch these guys are more inspiring than the home crowd these days. More gets written in the papers about the road crowds than how tough our fans were on the opponents.

I made that exact comment to my wife during the game last night. That roads games are better because the more passionate fans travel and those who go to games to visit are at home.

I could argue that it has too many team players. There are high end talent, difference makers that could be on this team right now, but are playing elsewhere...like the NHL. You can't just rely on the Gaarders to walk on and replace what guys like JT Miller would have provided. I think this team is playing well above it's talent level right now.

The one sentence you quoted by itself covers up the original members comment that the physical play that is Sioux hockey isn't there anymore. It also doesn't change the fact that they got worked over by a less talented team, in their building and with a trophy on the line.

All I can say is this was a huge opportunity lost. And, that I hope the young guys remember it, and take it out on WMU later. But, they probably won't, because the coaches don't like stressing that kind of thing today. In fact, the coaches seem to want to make every game just another game, which I think is a mistake. Sure, you may take the pressure off a bit, but it can backfire, like it did tonight. Let the players get UP for a game. Why not?

Playing in front of a sell out home crowd, last league game before heading into the playoffs, pairwise ranking, conference/national tournament seeding at stake, senior night and the opportunity to win out right the first ever Penrose Cup wasn't enough motivation?

They didn't lose because they weren't "up for the game" last night

Massive disappointment today over last night's game. This team just doesn't seem to have that extra spark needed for a run in the NCAA.... The ghost of Herb Brooks should have come into the locker room and reminded them that..if they lose...they'll remember it....for the rest of their #@$# lives.

Oh, well. At least the weather is nice today here in sunny Colorado.

A lot of criticism of the players' motivation last night, but it sounds like the fans were even worse. The place should have been rocking when they called the major.

There was no life in the Building last night. I was kind of surprised.

i think UND and Grand Forks likes winners

when was the last time UND hockey won a natty?

just a simple ?

never seen the student section so empty this year since the ralph opend

are they getting tierd of getting smoked in the ncaa;s

Idk

up to to decide

You post the same !@#$ every other day....get a lady. You seem bored.

I have to agree with that. When UND was (4-7-2) who would have thought that they'd end up 20-11-3, since that time they have gone 16-4-1, and only lost three times during the second half.

Everyone that fully believes in the second half runs. To be honest, I don't think it's accurate to look at it that way. There was one game last night that mattered....and the boys didn't play up to snuff. The good thing is there are two more important achievements this team can obtain, one being a lot harder than the other. To me, the boys didn't play that great last night and the troubling thing is that the game was a big one. There is a lot of season left, hopefully they bounce back strong.

Agreed that the student section is dead and the Ralph is too quiet. I am very concerned about this going forward. I think it is a combination of a lot of things. One of them (and by far not the only one) is that this team has no identity or team personality - it's neither fish nor fowl. Gone are the days when visitors were in for a world of pain and big hits would fire up the crowd. Also not here is a team that relentlesly buzzes the net and keeps coming at you (see Blais's teams). What we have is a team that is inconsistant and seems to lack any star power. You never know what you are going to get. Even after victorys, the things that fans often take away from the game is negative - usually frustration about our power play not gaining the zone or our relentless dump, chase, and cycle. This team has no hard-nosed edge and no signature method of dealing with opponents. Combined with many other factors - some previously mentioned here - and a quiet Ralph is what you get. I hope this doesn't continue or become the norm.

I have to agree with that. When UND was (4-7-2) who would have thought that they'd end up 20-11-3, since that time they have gone 16-4-1, and only lost three times during the second half.

Stop cluttering up the issue with facts, Goon. Yea, it sucks, but I would bet less than 10% of the regular posters in the hockey thread would have believed that the Sioux would have a shot at the Penrose Cup on the last night of the regular season if you told them that after the now infamous British Columbia vacation. FIDO theory...forget it, drive on.

• Upvote 1

It was fun watching Brady - seems a little cranky but his bunch of average guys listened to him intently & it has to be smart to make your guys sit when they come to the bench, especially to have the little edge in the end of a hard fought game

In comparison our three seem to talk to each other (& drink water) more than they talk to the troops & our players show their ups & downs more not just getting reset for what's next

The one sentence you quoted by itself covers up the original members comment that the physical play that is Sioux hockey isn't there anymore. It also doesn't change the fact that they got worked over by a less talented team, in their building and with a trophy on the line.

I guess I just dont see it as being "worked over"

WMU played hard and got it done. The effort didn't seem to be what most hoped it would be, but they dominated play on friday night, then WMU made adjustments. You don't win them all.

As far as not being as physical as in the past, I would agree, but physical today seems to end in a lot of penalties. You dont hear about teams like BC are physical because they are too busy recruiting speed and winning titles.

Agreed that the student section is dead and the Ralph is too quiet. I am very concerned about this going forward. I think it is a combination of a lot of things. One of them (and by far not the only one) is that this team has no identity or team personality - it's neither fish nor fowl. Gone are the days when visitors were in for a world of pain and big hits would fire up the crowd. Also not here is a team that relentlesly buzzes the net and keeps coming at you (see Blais's teams). What we have is a team that is inconsistant and seems to lack any star power. You never know what you are going to get. Even after victorys, the things that fans often take away from the game is negative - usually frustration about our power play not gaining the zone or our relentless dump, chase, and cycle. This team has no hard-nosed edge and no signature method of dealing with opponents. Combined with many other factors - some previously mentioned here - and a quiet Ralph is what you get. I hope this doesn't continue or become the norm.

One problem is you cant seem to hit anymore without getting a penalty. Guys get nailed and lay on the ice until the ref calls a penalty cuz the refs are dumb enough to fall for that s@#t. Honestly if our guys were doing that and i noticed it i wouldnt like them to much but i never remember a Sioux player getting hit and laying on the ice unless he was legitimately hurt, idk maybe im wearing green glasses

Stop cluttering up the issue with facts, Goon. Yea, it sucks, but I would bet less than 10% of the regular posters in the hockey thread would have believed that the Sioux would have a shot at the Penrose Cup on the last night of the regular season if you told them that after the now infamous British Columbia vacation. FIDO theory...forget it, drive on.

I am surprised you here on the board when Paint Drying is on NBC right now. :)

Fire new Ralph save season. Seriously how are there still so many fans in there that sit on there hands and hardly follow the game?

Because they're old people that like to sit down and quietly watch a hockey game. There were 2 guys in the row in front of me that were standing and cheering towards the end of the game last night and an old guy in the row behind me yelled down in front cuz they were blocking his view. Damn old people!!!!!

One problem is you cant seem to hit anymore without getting a penalty. Guys get nailed and lay on the ice until the ref calls a penalty cuz the refs are dumb enough to fall for that s@#t. Honestly if our guys were doing that and i noticed it i wouldnt like them to much but i never remember a Sioux player getting hit and laying on the ice unless he was legitimately hurt, idk maybe im wearing green glasses

I agree with this assessment - I'm not saying we should be the smash you in the face teams of the past, I'm saying we don't have any other real identity either. We are not a huge offensive threat that keeps flying up and down the ice or buzzes the net relentlessly and we don't have any real stars. Quick - describe this team's style in a sentence or two - what do you come up with. We seem to be a team of worker bees that are forever working the corners on our dump chase and cycle. No particulair puck skills stand out. Add in our power play (I'm not saying we never score, I'm saying it is very frustrating to watch) and you get our team - not bad and we are always hopeful, but not one of our best. Add in the corporate and expensive atmosphere of the Ralph and this is what you get. Three or four more years of this and the Ralph will be truely quiet - especially if we continue to hover around the outer edges of pairwise.