SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

We definitely need to add a video screen under one of the scoreboards. Also, I am not a fan of the new Big Sky team fatheads. They are nice but seem so distant from the action. The GWC pennants or banners or whatever were much better.

I personally like what they did with the Big Sky logos on the wall. I feel a video board under the scoreboards would be nice, but a video screen attached to the front of the scorers table would also be modern. Would it ever be possible to have a score board/video boards hang over center court like in the Ralph? I'd imagine that would be an expensive investment.

At UND there are 5 sports that fans actually go to --- Men's basketball, Women's basketball, Volleyball , Hockey and Football. The other sports have very low attendance. Actually there were quite a few people at the UND/Bison soccer game this year. Oh yea, UND won that too. NDSU only has 4 of those sports that we have (no hockey). They have wrestling and we have swimming. I agree with the previous poster that it is sort of funny that we are better than NDSU in 3 of the 4 main sports already, considering they had a 5 year head start. It is very exciting. I don't think NDSU fans want to talk about that subject to much. As they say though, they have their football.

• Upvote 2

At UND there are 5 sports that fans actually go to --- Men's basketball, Women's basketball, Volleyball , Hockey and Football. The other sports have very low attendance. Actually there were quite a few people at the UND/Bison soccer game this year. Oh yea, UND won that too. NDSU only has 4 of those sports that we have (no hockey). They have wrestling and we have swimming. I agree with the previous poster that it is sort of funny that we are better than NDSU in 3 of the 4 main sports already, considering they had a 5 year head start. It is very exciting. I don't think NDSU fans want to talk about that subject to much. As they say though, they have their football.

They officially do not care about Mens Basketball, Womens Basketball, Volleyball, or Soccer. Those sports are, meh. They are really into Football and softball now.

What are you talking about? Bison Dan is here continuously lecturing on these things. Though now that you mention it, he has been pretty quiet about it lately...

correction. it was your final four ;)

unds offense got all of the attention but i thought your defense was pretty good against us. you rarely gave us good looks. although braun put on a show in the 2nd half a lot of those shots were tough with hands in his face and off balance. down low we didnt get a lot of looks. early in the game we missed a lot of layups and close shots and i think a lot of that had to do with your defense.

• Upvote 2

Good post NDSUbison1

NDSU has a real nice team. Taylor Braun is a first rate player. I won't saying anything negative about the Bison team.

I think NDSU will have a big year. They have too much talent to not do real well in the Summit.

UND is just better, deeper. A lot of people in Fargo (and Grand Forks) are surprised by that. There are people in both towns who still don't realize it yet but it's true nonetheless.

It's the bottom line. It's not a slam on NDSU. It's praise of UND. Grand Forks basketball has been waiting for this. It's here!

Good post NDSUbison1

NDSU has a real nice team. Taylor Braun is a first rate player. I won't saying anything negative about the Bison team.

I think NDSU will have a big year. They have too much talent to not do real well in the Summit.

UND is just better, deeper. A lot of people in Fargo (and Grand Forks) are surprised by that. There are people in both towns who still don't realize it yet but it's true nonetheless.

It's the bottom line. It's not a slam on NDSU. It's praise of UND. Grand Forks basketball has been waiting for this. It's here!

I like Saul Phillips, he is a great guy in person (he was my son's baseball coach the past couple years), its to bad Bison fans are ready to dump him like a bad habit. I guess if you don't have success every year they want to dump you quickly (Bohl during the 2009 season). It was one game, still a lot of season left, plus you are already in the SL tourney (since every team besides Omaha gets in), but Bison fans hate to admit that UND has caught up to them after going through transition and has beaten NDSU now 2 out of the last 3 years. Its okay Bison fans we understand. Just enjoy your football run because when UND passes you in that, then I guess you have wrestling to fall back on since UND has passed you in at least 3 sports (well 4 with soccer).

Until we win a regular season conference championship or go to the Big Dance, NDSU will still be ahead if us in basketball in the D1 era. NDSU has done both. We have done neither. Sure bearing them says a lot, but we still have some ground to make up before we have passed them.

Um, yeah, that was several years ago. Having one really good team does not make you better than another school several years later, especially since FU has a five year head start on us as a Division I program. The fact is that Saul Phillips went to the Big Dance with Tim Miles' players. He has yet matched that level of success with his own guys. And until he does that, FU will remain stuck in the mud while we catch up to them.

Until we win a regular season conference championship or go to the Big Dance, NDSU will still be ahead if us in basketball in the D1 era. NDSU has done both. We have done neither. Sure bearing them says a lot, but we still have some ground to make up before we have passed them.

Sure if you look at it from a decade view. This year UND is ahead and I'll take it.

Next year, it'll be tough for UND. 7 very good seniors graduate. Also, you have to consider the possibility that Coach Jones may get a good offer to coach elsewhere.

I like Saul Phillips, he is a great guy in person (he was my son's baseball coach the past couple years), its to bad Bison fans are ready to dump him like a bad habit. I guess if you don't have success every year they want to dump you quickly (Bohl during the 2009 season). It was one game, still a lot of season left, plus you are already in the SL tourney (since every team besides Omaha gets in), but Bison fans hate to admit that UND has caught up to them after going through transition and has beaten NDSU now 2 out of the last 3 years. Its okay Bison fans we understand. Just enjoy your football run because when UND passes you in that, then I guess you have wrestling to fall back on since UND has passed you in at least 3 sports (well 4 with soccer).

it might be decades before you pass us in football. since some of our programs have played since 2010, NDSU leads the series 13-12-1. Thats without playing in football or softball. Just throwing out stats. Mens Basketball series is tied at 2-2. I will only give you a slight edge there because of the big win on Sunday but if NDSU makes the dance and UND doesnt well then it doesnt matter really. The series has been pretty even since we started playing again. Unlike what most UND fans would have you believe

it might be decades before you pass us in football. since some of our programs have played since 2010, NDSU leads the series 13-12-1. Thats without playing in football or softball. Just throwing out stats. Mens Basketball series is tied at 2-2. I will only give you a slight edge there because of the big win on Sunday but if NDSU makes the dance and UND doesnt well then it doesnt matter really. The series has been pretty even since we started playing again. Unlike what most UND fans would have you believe

You're right. It could be many, many decades before UND could maybe even possibly catch the FCS standard-bearer in football. If ever.

Caught part of the game on Midco. UND looked good.

Some have commented in this thread about NDSU expected to win the Summit League. That was/is the pre-season conventional wisdom but not in Brookings. SDSU fans know we have to go through a transition, figuring out some things without Wolters. The guard who will run things is injured so that's causing the transition to slow. But, we are confident that when the conference season comes around, SDSU will put a good team on the floor, one that will improve throughout the season and we hope NDSU has been buying all the pre-season predictions about winning the Summit League ('cuz it ain't gonna happen for our friends in Fargo).

SDSU put some nice minutes in last night in a win over Howard -- now, Howard is going to have some struggles because they're very young (something like 10 new guys on the team). As I write this, we're starting to dismantle a decent Lehigh team. SDSU's Cody Larson, the transfer from Florida dominated last night (24pts) and is starting to do that again tonight.

SDSU comes to Grand Forks 12/21. We had a rough time up there two years ago, struggled at home against UND last year and from what I saw the other night, it probably won't be a pleasant trip this year.