SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

Had to wait for a while but Bisonville finally figured it out that it was UND's superbowl and that is why we won. Happens every time. The su boys just have a tough time giving UND a whole lot of credit. Lose to UND and you suck. I guess I shouldn't expect it..

It's funny that they mistake a team playing with energy for it being their Super Bowl. If their fan base cared about any sport besides football they would expect it from their other teams. For now it's all excuses from their coach and fan base.

Heard you loved the UND PA guy, too? Kinda how I feel at the BSA; only it's a lot harder to understand what's being said through the garble of the 1973 sound system at the BSA.

Betty sound system is crap. If he doesn't yell you can't hear anything.

The bench was no doubt the difference tonight. NDSU has no bench and UND has a bench that gives the first team all they can handle every day in practice. In fact the 2nd team beat the first team everyday in practice the week leading up to the Wisconsin game and thats why the 2nd team got the start at Wisconsin. Other facts: its a shame we don't have a big crowd every home game with this team because they are exciting to watch ; its a shame we only have students come to these games when we play NDSU or hockey give a way tickets. Great game and great atmosphere.

The bench was no doubt the difference tonight. NDSU has no bench and UND has a bench that gives the first team all they can handle every day in practice. In fact the 2nd team beat the first team everyday in practice the week leading up to the Wisconsin game and thats why the 2nd team got the start at Wisconsin. Other facts: its a shame we don't have a big crowd every home game with this team because they are exciting to watch ; its a shame we only have students come to these games when we play NDSU or hockey give a way tickets. Great game and great atmosphere.

No, Johnboy said the sold-out atmosphere sucked. You are wrong. :silly:

• Upvote 1

You nailed it bin. I didn't agree when you wrote it but nice work.

Meh, I thought it would would have been over before halftime. Still the game was never in doubt, UND led from wire to wire I believe. Those pesky Bison did make it entertaining for the first 25-30 minutes.

Braun sure is a talented player, but wow what a ball hog. North Dakota fans gripe that Huff needs to dish it off more. He passes like Jason Kidd compared to Braun. I could not figure out why FU went away from Bjorklund in the 2nd half. Our guys held there own against him, but was quite obvious to me he could have had a much bigger night. Seems like they basically ignored him.

The reffing is tough to watch, but that is how they are going to be calling it this year. This isn't the first game that has been like this. They were consistent in the their calls on both sides of the ball anyways. The one that dumb-founded me was the T on Huff. Very unnecessary. He got excited, and gestured toward his own student section after he made a 3.

As expected, very fun team watch. Obviously already knew how great Huff and Anderson are, but Nash sure is fun to watch as well. That runner that Hooker made in the 2nd half was sick. I thought the post play was pretty good tonight, against one of the better post players in the Summit league by all accounts. Nothing flashy, but they held there own. Calcaterra especially had a nice game. Still need to work hard on boxing out for rebounds, which is such a fundamental thing.

I know we're just 3 games in, but I'm really pleased with the way this team has been taking care of the ball. Against the Badgers we only had 12 turnovers, and tonight just 9. That's really good for the type of ball this team plays.

It was a fun night. It's been a few years since the Sioux Center was packed like that. Hopefully this will show the students and other folks that aren't always there that there is a lot of fun to be had at the Betty, and this is an exciting product. With volleyball and men's basketball, it looks like the Betty is home to the best athletic programs on campus this season.............

Nice win by the team. That was truely team basketball. I can't remember who made the comments about Schuler earlier in the week but he made some key plays tonight. Just a good all around player. Also agree with Huff and Nash being as good of a 1-2 punch as we've had. Our bigs also aren't great, but with 15 fouls between Solmonson, Calcuterra and Traylor I think we'll be alright in league play. Each brings enough to the table. Looking forward to the rest of the season and might have to get some tickets for the Weber St. and Montana games.

Great observations. Schuler has never got a lot of credit in his 4 years but he is so solid every single game and does all the right things. With as few touches he gets every night he still has an outside shot at 1000 career points. He is like the quarterback out there cause if you notice he is directing players over and over where they need to be. Wish when he sets a screen for Anderson that Anderson would dish it back to him cause he is so wide open and the pass is never made. Schuler should get more looks but the passes dont come. Calcaterra had a great game considering how he played the first several games and gives me hope for the post position. Huff was great again tonight and Nash brings so much athletic ability to this team. Webb offensively was off again tonight for the third straight game, hope he comes around and we will be that much more lethal. Go Sioux

Huff right now getting a little love as he turned in the 3rd best performance in the nation according to ESPN. The only reason the other 2 are ahead was because their game went to triple overtime

Was this on TV or on the website? Also on Schuler he just hits big shots. I remember when he hit that game winning three I believe against USD to win the coveted Great West Conference title.

I thought when Traylor came in for his few minute stretches before foul trouble that he was a force offensively.

This team has the guys that can slash but they do need to get better at using the screens and looking to pass it to the screener.

Thoughts:

-Yes the refs were bad, but that is the name of the game. Until the teams adjust, this will keep happening. The NCAA is not going to ditch the rule book mid-stream. The tech on Huff was a pure joke

-NDSU truly expected to roll into our house and just smack us around, well it didn't happen. They got really frustrated in the 2nd half and it showed. It was the Braun show and nothing else. I think if Huff didn't get that T, UND rolls a lot sooner in this game.

-Saul should be thankful for Tim Miles, he is the only reason why he does have an NCAA tournament appearance to his name. If this is his best team, and they play like that they will not win the Summit. I was shocked he got extended this past off season. I've never been impressed with Saul.

Now to the game itself

-Despite his lack of scoring, Webb was efficient in ball handling and everything else. 11 assists to 3 turnovers so far this year. If he can keep that up then get his scoring touch... look out

-Anderson was a rock for us tonight. Made the most of his minutes and wasn't afraid to be aggressive. Buried his shots from beyond the arc.

-Salmonson is limited due to foul trouble, but he did have a couple nice moments, made all of his free throws so that is all I can ask for. His post play was the weakest (but that was saying more of Traylor, Nash, and Calcaterra)

-Traylor was limited with foul trouble too, but made some key plays in the 2nd half with some buckets and his battling for the rebounds.

-Schuler was good tonight as well, took over the game when needed. His spark in the 1st half really got the team going again.

-Hooker played good for a frosh, his one big moment was the drive and finish. Watch this kid grow, im leaning on the redshirt lift being the right move

-Calcaterra stepped it the hell up tonight and I am proud of him. The question is can he do it consistently. If we can get that from him a night (maybe 1-3 more rebounds) we are golden

-Nash: Continues to prove that he is legit, he didn't hit from outside but he didn't need to. Used is athletic ability to get to the rack at will. I have to wonder what if he was granted eligibility last year what might have happened....

-I saved the best for last. Troy Huff played like a star and just made two awesome moves to score. Most important, 13 from 17 from the line. I say it in another forum, if he can get to 50/40/75 or better, he will be awesome. His notice from the nation will come.

Stats on crack:

-Last year I went on a rant on how NDSU KILLED US on the boards: This year NDSU 37, UND 36

-14 assists to 9 turnovers. I'll take it!

-51% from the field, 37.5 from 3, 80 from the line (that will win us a lot of games)

Final Thoughs:

This was a good gut-check test for us and we passed with flying colors. I think this team, after tonight, does have what it takes to win the Big Sky. The post players took a step forward tonight and Huff and Nash played awesome. The Oregon tourney is another test and we need to go out there thinking 3-0, because I think its do-able

I also endorse the idea of a playing them twice a year between the two school. Instead of playing Presenation, lets play these guys again. We are mid-majors and in 1 big leagues, lets do something unique.

Until next year in Fargo