SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

it might be decades before you pass us in football. since some of our programs have played since 2010, NDSU leads the series 13-12-1. Thats without playing in football or softball. Just throwing out stats. Mens Basketball series is tied at 2-2. I will only give you a slight edge there because of the big win on Sunday but if NDSU makes the dance and UND doesnt well then it doesnt matter really. The series has been pretty even since we started playing again. Unlike what most UND fans would have you believe

It took Roger Thomas 8 years, less than a decade to overthrow the mighty Bison, I don't think decades is the correct term, after all you had a 5 year head start in all sports and one by one they are falling to UND.

it might be decades before you pass us in football. since some of our programs have played since 2010, NDSU leads the series 13-12-1. Thats without playing in football or softball. Just throwing out stats. Mens Basketball series is tied at 2-2. I will only give you a slight edge there because of the big win on Sunday but if NDSU makes the dance and UND doesnt well then it doesnt matter really. The series has been pretty even since we started playing again. Unlike what most UND fans would have you believe

NDSU is undeniably miles ahead in football at the moment but never say never... Winning 2 titles (possibly 3 now) in a row is quite the achievement but really was 2008, 2009 THAT long ago? Sustain that level of success for the better part of one decade and then claim it'll be decades before UND catches up. Although it looks like Bohl isn't planning on going anywhere, well, never say never.

All this aside, there's clearly still an interest in the rivalry and I'd love for the football teams to play, even if it means UND having to take its licks for a while.

As far as football,yea it might be decades(it won't be decades) but it might be in four or five years too. UND will get their act together. that said - su is very tough in football. enjoy while you can. living in Fargo I know how much support football has. Many of su fans are even pretty cool about it.

I am very happy UND won the bb game. It does matter to me. Judging on all the activity and comments from su fans it mattered to su as well. You can say it doesn't matter but you posting here shows it did bother you at least a little.

So, you need to go back to 2010. that seems a little convenient. gotta admit that UND has done very well these past few years. even if you are willing to admit only that we are even since 2010 that is still pretty impressive for UND with the good guys getting more and more of the upper hand. There is excitement in what is happening at UND with many of the programs. I guess I am one that doesn't think UND is better except for maybe volleyball, womens and men's basketball, and probably soccer :) . su is no longer looking for UND in the rear view mirror - more like drivers window and front windshield

That is a very short-sighted, homer-type statement. Why would NDSU's 3-year title run be any different than Appalachian State's title run from 2005 to 2007. In fact, the similarities are quite astounding.

Appalachian State won the FCS title in 2005, 2006, and 2007, and their third consecutive championship season included a big win to start the year against Michigan. Sound familiar (NDSU vs. Kansas State to start this season)? I think historic trends in sports, particularly college football, are important to follow, because we all know it is cyclical. After this season, NDSU will arguably graduate it's most important senior class ever. After that, what's in store? After Appalachian State's run, they continued to have success, but it slowly declined (2008: 11-3; 2009: 11-3; 2010: 10-3; 2011: 8-4; 2012: 8-4; this season: 4-8).

When I look at that recent trend, I honestly feel NDSU will still be good after this season, but they won't be nearly as good as they have been. We can over-emphasize coaching, atmosphere, facilities, location, etc. all we want, but when it comes down to it, its all about the players. NDSU has a great class of senior players right now, and after this season, they will be gone and NDSU will miss them.

Also after this season, the door will certainly be open for UND to catch up to NDSU within a 3 to 5 year window. I'm confident UND will obtain a great asset in the new head coach and will steadily improve. On the other hand, NDSU has no where else to go but down. UND will be in "NDSU's league" within the next few years. And when that happens, the bandwagon fans can stay over in Fargo with the cows.

• Upvote 4

That is a very short-sighted, homer-type statement. Why would NDSU's 3-year title run be any different than Appalachian State's title run from 2005 to 2007. In fact, the similarities are quite astounding.

Appalachian State won the FCS title in 2005, 2006, and 2007, and their third consecutive championship season included a big win to start the year against Michigan. Sound familiar (NDSU vs. Kansas State to start this season)? I think historic trends in sports, particularly college football, are important to follow, because we all know it is cyclical. After this season, NDSU will arguably graduate it's most important senior class ever. After that, what's in store? After Appalachian State's run, they continued to have success, but it slowly declined (2008: 11-3; 2009: 11-3; 2010: 10-3; 2011: 8-4; 2012: 8-4; this season: 4-8).

When I look at that recent trend, I honestly feel NDSU will still be good after this season, but they won't be nearly as good as they have been. We can over-emphasize coaching, atmosphere, facilities, location, etc. all we want, but when it comes down to it, its all about the players. NDSU has a great class of senior players right now, and after this season, they will be gone and NDSU will miss them.

Also after this season, the door will certainly be open for UND to catch up to NDSU within a 3 to 5 year window. I'm confident UND will obtain a great asset in the new head coach and will steadily improve. On the other hand, NDSU has no where else to go but down. UND will be in "NDSU's league" within the next few years. And when that happens, the bandwagon fans can stay over in Fargo with the cows.

Agreed. And let's also not overlook how critical it is to hire the right person after a successful coach moves on or retires. Many once-great programs have experienced down periods because of one questionable hire. If it can happen at Alabama and USC and Michigan and Florida and Nebraska, anybody is potentially vulnerable.

I think Bison fans feel once they reach the top they will ALWAYS be there, well they were on top in the 80's and fell in the 90's, then up during transition, then down in 2008, and 2009, now the top of the roller coaster is today.....watch out, the downfall is on the horizon, will it be next year, next few years?

• Upvote 1

Obviously UND has a better men's basketball team than NDSU this year, but there is a negative side to it though. NDSU will probably make the NCAA tourney because the Summit appears to be not very good this year. The Big Sky looks very strong and UND will have a much tougher time to make the tourney. UND will have a much harder time than NDSU to make the tourney. Hopefully UND is hot at the end of the year which is when it matters.

• Upvote 1

NDSU isn't necessarily a lock to win the Summit tourney. Look at the trouble they had when their starters got into foul trouble. With these new foul rules, teams that have depth on the bench and guys that can penetrate to the basket will have success. I believe UND has both, so they will do very will IMO tis year with the new rules. NDSU has Braun who can get to the basket and to the foul line. They have Bkorkland too, but other than maybe Wright, they don't have many guys that can drive to the basket consistently. They also don't have a very deep bench. When you have to play your 5 foot nothing walk on Freddy Newell because guys are in foul trouble, you have problems. The Bison have 7 maybe 8 guys they would be comfortable sending out there. That is gonna hurt when their starters get into foul trouble, as we found out on Sunday. While I agree the Bison path to the Big Dance may be easier, that doesn't mean that is is a lock.

Obviously UND has a better men's basketball team than NDSU this year, but there is a negative side to it though. NDSU will probably make the NCAA tourney because the Summit appears to be not very good this year. The Big Sky looks very strong and UND will have a much tougher time to make the tourney. UND will have a much harder time than NDSU to make the tourney. Hopefully UND is hot at the end of the year which is when it matters.

summit has had a higher rpi and one seed higher in dance the last several seasons. this year remains to be seen

• Upvote 1

NDSU isn't necessarily a lock to win the Summit tourney. Look at the trouble they had when their starters got into foul trouble. With these new foul rules, teams that have depth on the bench and guys that can penetrate to the basket will have success. I believe UND has both, so they will do very will IMO tis year with the new rules. NDSU has Braun who can get to the basket and to the foul line. They have Bkorkland too, but other than maybe Wright, they don't have many guys that can drive to the basket consistently. They also don't have a very deep bench. When you have to play your 5 foot nothing walk on Freddy Newell because guys are in foul trouble, you have problems. The Bison have 7 maybe 8 guys they would be comfortable sending out there. That is gonna hurt when their starters get into foul trouble, as we found out on Sunday. While I agree the Bison path to the Big Dance may be easier, that doesn't mean that is is a lock.

newell only plays in blowouts. he was in for the last play of the 1st half to prevent some of our players from picking up another foul. it was a smart move.

if ndac makes the big dance its because they only had to get past the powerhouses called iupui and uupifw unlike und which will probably have to beat weber state and montana...big difference

• Upvote 1

summit has had a higher rpi and one seed higher in dance the last several seasons. this year remains to be seen

Not to let facts get in the way, but here' are the last 5 years tournament seedings (since NDSU has been eligible).

2013 - SDSU - 13 and Montana - 13

2012 - SDSU - 14 and Montana - 13

2011 - Oakland - 13 and UNC - 15

2010 - Oakland - 14 and Montana - 14

2009 - NDSU - 14 and Portland State - 13

The Big Sky has been higher twice, the Summit once and the same twice. And Oakland isn't in the league anymore.

• Upvote 3

Not to let facts get in the way, but here' are the last 5 years tournament seedings (since NDSU has been eligible).

The Big Sky has been higher twice, the Summit once and the same twice. And Oakland isn't in the league anymore.

Bison fans don't like facts.

• Upvote 1

if ndac makes the big dance its because they only had to get past the powerhouses called iupui and uupifw unlike und which will probably have to beat weber state and montana...big difference

huh? summit has had higher rpi than big sky past several seasons. thanks for cherry picking middle of the pack to lower summit teams with the top big sky teams

i stand corrected. for some reason was thinking the big sky teams had some more 15 seeds in there