SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

I honestly think that su will do just fine. They do have a good team. It appears the new hand checking memo wasn't read by su. They think that it was the difference even though the fouls were about even. Some su fans comfort themselves by saying the game doesn't matter to them but the number of upset su fans seem to tell the real story.

I also endorse the idea of a playing them twice a year between the two school. Instead of playing Presenation, lets play these guys again. We are mid-majors and in 1 big leagues, lets do something unique.

I'm down with this, but with a twist. Let's take this game to the people of North Dakota. One game on campus each each year, and the second out west.

So one year you are at NDSU and the Minot State Dome, and the next you are at the Betty and the Bismarck Civic Center. I would probably do the western games as doubleheaders and have the women play to and do it up with a fanfest type atmosphere - really let both schools promote themselves.

I'm not sure of the seating capacities, but there might be some other sites that would be doable - Jamestown Civic probably seats enough. I don't think Dickinson or Williston has a large enough facility as of now, but that could change.

Agree that it's much preferable to the games against the likes of Presentation College and Minnesota-Morris.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts:

-Yes the refs were bad, but that is the name of the game. Until the teams adjust, this will keep happening. The NCAA is not going to ditch the rule book mid-stream. The tech on Huff was a pure joke

-NDSU truly expected to roll into our house and just smack us around, well it didn't happen. They got really frustrated in the 2nd half and it showed. It was the Braun show and nothing else. I think if Huff didn't get that T, UND rolls a lot sooner in this game.

-Saul should be thankful for Tim Miles, he is the only reason why he does have an NCAA tournament appearance to his name. If this is his best team, and they play like that they will not win the Summit. I was shocked he got extended this past off season. I've never been impressed with Saul.

Now to the game itself

-Despite his lack of scoring, Webb was efficient in ball handling and everything else. 11 assists to 3 turnovers so far this year. If he can keep that up then get his scoring touch... look out

-Anderson was a rock for us tonight. Made the most of his minutes and wasn't afraid to be aggressive. Buried his shots from beyond the arc.

-Salmonson is limited due to foul trouble, but he did have a couple nice moments, made all of his free throws so that is all I can ask for. His post play was the weakest (but that was saying more of Traylor, Nash, and Calcaterra)

-Traylor was limited with foul trouble too, but made some key plays in the 2nd half with some buckets and his battling for the rebounds.

-Schuler was good tonight as well, took over the game when needed. His spark in the 1st half really got the team going again.

-Hooker played good for a frosh, his one big moment was the drive and finish. Watch this kid grow, im leaning on the redshirt lift being the right move

-Calcaterra stepped it the hell up tonight and I am proud of him. The question is can he do it consistently. If we can get that from him a night (maybe 1-3 more rebounds) we are golden

-Nash: Continues to prove that he is legit, he didn't hit from outside but he didn't need to. Used is athletic ability to get to the rack at will. I have to wonder what if he was granted eligibility last year what might have happened....

-I saved the best for last. Troy Huff played like a star and just made two awesome moves to score. Most important, 13 from 17 from the line. I say it in another forum, if he can get to 50/40/75 or better, he will be awesome. His notice from the nation will come.

Stats on crack:

-Last year I went on a rant on how NDSU KILLED US on the boards: This year NDSU 37, UND 36

-14 assists to 9 turnovers. I'll take it!

-51% from the field, 37.5 from 3, 80 from the line (that will win us a lot of games)

Final Thoughs:

This was a good gut-check test for us and we passed with flying colors. I think this team, after tonight, does have what it takes to win the Big Sky. The post players took a step forward tonight and Huff and Nash played awesome. The Oregon tourney is another test and we need to go out there thinking 3-0, because I think its do-able

I also endorse the idea of a playing them twice a year between the two school. Instead of playing Presenation, lets play these guys again. We are mid-majors and in 1 big leagues, lets do something unique.

Until next year in Fargo

Flipped over to KFGO to listen to their post game. When Miller shared Braun's stats with Saul, sort of a "look on the bright side" type of thing, Saul responded "yeah, and that got us beat by 20". I don't think Saul was all that impressed with Braun's play.

I honestly think that su will do just fine. They do have a good team. It appears the new hand checking memo wasn't read by su. They think that it was the difference even though the fouls were about even. Some su fans comfort themselves by saying the game doesn't matter to them but the number of upset su fans seem to tell the real story.

I am hearing the excuses by FU fans about the new rule but the fact is they took advantage of this new rule by having Braun drive the ball into double and triple coverage almost everytime to draw a foul and trip to the free throw line.

• Upvote 1

Flipped over to KFGO to listen to their post game. When Miller shared Braun's stats with Saul, sort of a "look on the bright side" type of thing, Saul responded "yeah, and that got us beat by 20". I don't think Saul was all that impressed with Braun's play.

I was surprised they didn't go to Bjorklund more. It seems like he only has one move (couple fakes followed be rolling to the middle of the lane) but he's efficient and UND wasn't doing that great stopping him. In the second half, Braun had no intention of passing the ball. Was surprised to see Huff didn't guard him all that much, he seemed to shut him down pretty well two years ago. Possibly an adjustment to keep Huff from picking up quick fouls?

I am hearing the excuses by FU fans about the new rule but the fact is they took advantage of this new rule by having Braun drive the ball into double and triple coverage almost everytime to draw a foul and trip to the free throw line.

Was pretty evident considering Braun was well into double digit points before he made his first shot from the field.

I would argue that Braun's selfish play in the second half is what took FU out of the game.

• Upvote 1

I was surprised they didn't go to Bjorklund more. It seems like he only has one move (couple fakes followed be rolling to the middle of the lane) but he's efficient and UND wasn't doing that great stopping him. In the second half, Braun had no intention of passing the ball. Was surprised to see Huff didn't guard him all that much, he seemed to shut him down pretty well two years ago. Possibly an adjustment to keep Huff from picking up quick fouls?

Was pretty evident considering Braun was well into double digit points before he made his first shot from the field.

From everything I've seen/read, it's hard to tell if either team was able to stick with a gameplan with the lack of flow and foul situations.

I would argue that Braun's selfish play in the second half is what took FU out of the game.

...that, and Bjorklund had 3 boards. 3 in 26 minutes of play. That's awful. Rebounding is about hard work and want to, and he obviously didn't have it last night. Their fans have reason to worry this year if he can simply not show up for a game like that.

From everything I've seen/read, it's hard to tell if either team was able to stick with a gameplan with the lack of flow and foul situations.

Good point. With UND's depth in the frontcourt and athleticism in the backcourt, Jones has built a solid team that should benefit from the new rules.

I think UND's game plan was to attack the rim and get into FU's bench and it worked. Coach Jones seems to have our guys schooled up on the new reffing style. Saul seems lost in how the game is being called but I think that is because he has no one that can get to the rim and attack. This new style does not favor the type of kids he recruits.

That's the impression I got.

If that's the way the refs are gonna call it all year we are going to be in good shape. Huff, Nash, and Anderson can all get to the rim consistently and it looks like those three guys are going to spend a lot of time at the free throw line. Also, having three guys to rotate at the center spot gives us 15 fouls to give so we just need those guys not to be liabilities on the defensive end.

I was very impressed with our bench last night. Most of them won't be putting up gaudy offensive numbers, but they did their jobs and played about as quality of defense as they could given the fouls being called. Our bench appears very deep and that will help us a lot with how fouls are being called now.

One thing that was a concern was how easy Braun was able to get to the basket when it was obvious that was all they were going to do for a stretch. The coaches were calling for a certain defense to prevent it and it worked a couple times, but seems that he got there more often than not. He's one of the better individual players we'll see this year but there are a handful in the Big Sky that measure up.

I concur on Shay being an active coach, thought he was going to have an aneurysm a few times. Disagree on Jones being stoic though. He's intense, just not as loud as Shay is.

One thing that was a concern was how easy Braun was able to get to the basket when it was obvious that was all they were going to do for a stretch. The coaches were calling for a certain defense to prevent it and it worked a couple times, but seems that he got there more often than not. He's one of the better individual players we'll see this year but there are a handful in the Big Sky that measure up.

I concur on Shay being an active coach, thought he was going to have an aneurysm a few times. Disagree on Jones being stoic though. He's intense, just not as loud as Shay is.

Good point regarding Braun, but I think the defense was overall pretty solid. 77 points isn't all that bad, although I would like it down in the mid-60's if possible. We'll need to be firing on all cylinders come conference tournament time if we want to get past Weber St. in March.

I was really impressed with the students in the second half last night. They were into the game, creative, and were really active while NDSU was at the line. I know we can't expect two full bleachers of students for every game but if we can fill the side by the opponents bench consistently that'll be a huge improvement over previous years. Unfortunately the next game is against Presentation and the SDSU game is over winter break but let's hope the students come out in force once the conference season gets rolling.