SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

There is a wee-bit of difference between D1 basketball and ND high school ball where a semi-quick 6'2" "post" was guarding AJ and then fouling him on the way to the hoop. I personally never thought he was a great recruit and his lack of offers backed me up. He will play for them but sure as hell isn't the next Braun.

If you look at Saul's recruiting in the past few years, combined with this years signees, there appears to be alot of low-hanging fruit there. Dexter Werner is not a D1 basketball player, sorry. The guys on his bench look like role players that don't score. There is no Braun in this group. Even their current guards (LA, Brown) that were supposed to be so good got their asses handed to them by Anderson, Webb and Hooker. They are going to be pretty average next year. This year they will be fine cause of Braun and Wright.

I guess we will just have to wait to find out. I have heard from others that same type of opinion about how Jacobson will do. He is a hard worker and has a lot of pride. What you said could be said about most 1st year players. I think you are underestimating him but we'll see how things play out. Go Sioux

I think it's funny on BV with Bison fans saying they lost to a horrible UND team, this was our Super Bowl, well we beat a horrible NDSU team and if they played every game like it was their Super Bowl they wouldn't be 1-3 vs DI competition.

Summit is looking bad right now. SDSU at 0-4. Denver at 0-2, granted they've played some decent teams. Omaha at 3-3 is really the only bright spot and they're not tourney eligible.

As far as saying if ndsu played harder they wouldn't be 1-3, I disagree. They just aren't as good as the 3 teams they lost to. They beat a decent WMU team though.

Listening to the various media reporters out of Fargo all you hear about is the officiating and the off night defensively for the Bison basketball team. Nobody seems to recognize that UND has a pretty darn good basketball team. Maybe the play of the Bison had more to do with the quality of play by UND. Go figure.

Should we expect anything less coming from the opponent's media market?

Summit is looking bad right now. SDSU at 0-4. Denver at 0-2, granted they've played some decent teams. Omaha at 3-3 is really the only bright spot and they're not tourney eligible.

As far as saying if ndsu played harder they wouldn't be 1-3, I disagree. They just aren't as good as the 3 teams they lost to. They beat a decent WMU team though.

Maybe the hype over them being preseason favorites are going to their heads. They seem to put all their eggs on Braun instead of making it a team game, I am sure it worked with Wolters at SDSU last year and Woodside at NDSU in 09 but if the other players don't step up one player is NOT going to get it done. UND has more weapons than just Huff and they saw it the hard way.

A trifecta should be easily had this year:

Volleyball, Men's basketball, Women's basketball.

Thought that NDSU would be so far ahead of UND that we wouldn't be competitive in anything?

Every sport we beat them in just kicks the football game can a little further down the road - yes they would have probably destoyed us this year but they can't take the change of losing the mystic - the irony is that by the time we do get them back on the schedule it will be much more balanced. How tough would it be to have only one sport you can beat your in-state rival in?

Every sport we beat them in just kicks the football game can a little further down the road - yes they would have probably destoyed us this year but they can't take the change of losing the mystic - the irony is that by the time we do get them back on the schedule it will be much more balanced. How tough would it be to have only one sport you can beat your in-state rival in?

I think its safe to say their 5 year head start is now behind them. Volleyball, women's basketball, and now men's basketball belongs to UND, they have football and.....I guess that's it.

I think its safe to say their 5 year head start is now behind them. Volleyball, women's basketball, and now men's basketball belongs to UND, they have football and.....I guess that's it.

And they have that only because of the turmoil in the athletic department in December 2007 that led us to promoting Mussman to head coach after Lennon left for SIU instead of conducting a proper, national search. And we are working on rectifying that now.

If the media continues to cover the basketball team I see larger crowds being the norm at the Betty. There is a lot of excitement of this team right now. If we were to get a victory over a Oregon or Butler it would take the excitement to another level.

• Upvote 1

Has UND ever beat a ranked team?

I know last year was a lil different but Jones teams seem to struggle on the road. Seems to be getting better though.

According to Lakes we haven't, of course when we do he won't have anything to compare to make his school superior.

Going to be a fun season, the most pumped I've been for UND hoops since Vonesh/Gulseth/Jacobsen/Burkett et al.

I remember the attitude I had when I walked into Hyslop when watching those teams play. You could just feel it in the air that there was no way they were going to lose. Well coached, great players, great leaders, great team play.

It would be nice to get back to that feeling again at the Betty.

I think it's funny on BV with Bison fans saying they lost to a horrible UND team, this was our Super Bowl, well we beat a horrible NDSU team and if they played every game like it was their Super Bowl they wouldn't be 1-3 vs DI competition.

Hey, where is BV's !@#$ talking Anchorman? Uh...WHAMMY!

• Upvote 1

Has UND ever beat a ranked team?

I know last year was a lil different but Jones teams seem to struggle on the road. Seems to be getting better though.

I'm pretty certain UND defeated Chicago Loyola (ranked, I believe something like No. 8 in the country) many years ago at Hyslop before Hyslop became known as Hyslop.

Hyslop...what a distant memory...even though it wasn't that long ago.

Thank Gosh for the Betty (Engelstad gift) otherwise we'd be playing there and tryin to raise money to upgrade like the Bizons.

Speaking of doesn't even the swim team have a video board?!

Speaking of Hyslop, I believe UND (probably under Dave Gunther) once won 106 out of 110 home games at Hyslop.