SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The Bison had their hands full shutting down the run......and they are D2! He definitely has something going up there.

I watched that game. Even though the Buffalo won handily on the scoreboard, Ferris State players never quit.

They didn't dance or snap towels on the sideline either...

Why make him take a hometown discount? Offer him something just shy of Bohl's salary with incentives for attendance and season tickets. If he's someone who could get us to the point where we're filling the Alerus it would absolutely be worth the investment. A guy with UND ties, BCS coordinating experience, and NFL defensive coaching experience. That's someone who could get the fan base excited. Anybody know what Bohl made when he first came to NDSU? I imagine Nebraska's DC at that time made a pretty healthy salary.

I usually believe you get what you pay for. If you are going bring some one in dont do it on the cheap. It wont make the new coach feel as if he is getting paid for what he is worth and doesnt lead to a great deal of loyalty and he will be ready to jump at the next best offer down the line.

I usually believe you get what you pay for. If you are going bring some one in dont do it on the cheap. It wont make the new coach feel as if he is getting paid for what he is worth and doesnt lead to a great deal of loyalty and he will be ready to jump at the next best offer down the line.

I agree.

The picture I have in my head from yesterday's game is a linebacker filling a hole unblocked and just get flat out run over by their running back. He's not the only guy who got run over either. I never thought I would see that from a Sioux defense.

I think that was their second TD. That was hard to believe that our bigger LB didn't light their RB up. He put his shoulder down and didn't wrap up and the RB barely slowed down. What I don't understand is why they didn't get someone else in.

Any LB that gets a clear shot like that and can't make a play needs to consider whether or not he should play college FB.

Of the guys mentioned my choice would be Brooks Bollinger. He should be able to find a capable staff. Bubba isn't the guy Lennon might be if he was available and if he is it would be because S Ill isn't doing well. The next coach doesn't need UND roots he needs to be able to coach and recruit. Faison needs to pick the best guy available and if he has UND connections or roots all the better but we need someone who can coach more than someone to hang out with. We need to pay the head coach and assistants good salaries commensurate with the quality of our University and our facilities and Big Sky membership.

• Upvote 1

I am going throw out an the off the wall candidate. Not sure how well he would be received and comes with some baggage. Mike Kramer at Idaho St.

He turned around Eastern Washington and he turned around Montana St. He left MSU under fire because he had some questionable players (criminals). He is currently stuck at at a dead end job at ISU, a place that receives zero community or institutional support. I only mention him because he has the reputation of a program builder, he has been a head coach for years, he has been around the Big Sky his entire life, and I bet he'd entertain coming here if he were approached about it. As bad as things are here right now, I have to believe it is more attractive place to coach football than in Pocatello.

Again, i have no idea if this would be a good fit at all, butjust the name was worth throwing out there.

Kramer is a good motivator but he has had quite a bit of dirty laundry in his past...I don't know if UND wants to go there.

The money for a good coach shouldn't be as much of an issue as it will appear to be...get a proven coach, start winning games, draw bigger crowds, sell more concessions and apparel...money is there.

Even drawing another 2000 people per game when the team starts being competitive should cover the increased coaching salary over the course of the season.

Of the guys mentioned my choice would be Brooks Bollinger. He should be able to find a capable staff. Bubba isn't the guy Lennon might be if he was available and if he is it would be because S Ill isn't doing well. The next coach doesn't need UND roots he needs to be able to coach and recruit. Faison needs to pick the best guy available and if he has UND connections or roots all the better but we need someone who can coach more than someone to hang out with. We need to pay the head coach and assistants good salaries commensurate with the quality of our University and our facilities and Big Sky membership.

Ira, just asking a honest question... Do you think Bollinger has enough experience to take over a program at this point of his coaching career? He's only in his 2nd yr as QB coach at Pitt & was only a high school coach at Hill-Murray before that. I get the name recognition, UND/family roots, Big Ten & NFL playing experience & connections, etc, etc, but the lack of substantial college coaching experience & his age would worry me a little (for a head coach). I see he was hired at Pitt in Feb '12, so he really has recruited for just 1 season as well. But, he could be a tremendous recruiter too, sometimes the younger coaches relate to the HS & College kids much better. He may be an outstanding candidate (I wouldn't be opposed to him. Lots of positives to him, but a few concerns as well)... Just asking, as I don't know a whole lot about Brooks. I realize you're pretty plugged in to the football program & history, so just wanted to hear more about Brooks from you. (Or anyone else that has some insight) Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I think that was their second TD. That was hard to believe that our bigger LB didn't light their RB up. He put his shoulder down and didn't wrap up and the RB barely slowed down. What I don't understand is why they didn't get someone else in.

Any LB that gets a clear shot like that and can't make a play needs to consider whether or not he should play college FB.

You're right, the line backer is supposed to be the baddest and meanest player on the team, I am being serious. Based on what I have seen this season, the LB's at UND are average at best, the secondary is worse. The team defense for UND this season is brutal.

Edited by Goon

ratelle or norberg would have moved him backwards....problem is one is hurt and the other is redshirting?

The money for a good coach shouldn't be as much of an issue as it will appear to be...get a proven coach, start winning games, draw bigger crowds, sell more concessions and apparel...money is there.

Even drawing another 2000 people per game when the team starts being competitive should cover the increased coaching salary over the course of the season.

One thing is for certain. Straightening out the football program is the surest way of increasing revenue to the athletic department. I would say do what the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences did...offer an incentive for increased attendance to the new coach. Also, DO NOT give an extension based on barely making the playoffs...(Which is still better than a Great West championship...which was the lamest reason to give an extension in the history of UND football..)

Brooks was a great athlete at GFC and an excellent student. As QB at Wisconsin led them to Rose Bowl. Played for Jets, Vikings and Cowboys. Didn't have HS coaching experience but led Hill Murray to playoffs. He learned a lot holding a clipboard at the NFL level and he can recruit. He has the brains and personality. I would be willing to give him the job trusting he is smart enough to make up for his lack of experience. QB at Wisconsin and NFL functions as a leader and on filed coach. Don't know if he would be interested. I would take him over small college coach or D1 asst with no experience.

Brooks was a great athlete at GFC and an excellent student. As QB at Wisconsin led them to Rose Bowl. Played for Jets, Vikings and Cowboys. Didn't have HS coaching experience but led Hill Murray to playoffs. He learned a lot holding a clipboard at the NFL level and he can recruit. He has the brains and personality. I would be willing to give him the job trusting he is smart enough to make up for his lack of experience. QB at Wisconsin and NFL functions as a leader and on filed coach. Don't know if he would be interested. I would take him over small college coach or D1 asst with no experience.

I'd like him as an OC.

• Upvote 1

I did a little research and I really think making a push for Tibesar is the right move. I looked up his coaching history and it sold me. He's a former captain, was here for the national championship, ran a successful defense in an offense heavy league at KSU, ran a successful defense in the CFL, and is now getting experience at the NFL level. I wish he would've had more than one year at Purdue to see what he could do there but I think he'd be a fantastic hire.

A lot of great candidates being floated here. It will be interesting to find out who actually wants the job and what Faison will pay.

One thing is certain though: the way this is handled (will they keep muss/what they will pay/who they go after) will go a long way in showing everyone just how important the football program is/isn't in the overall scheme of things at UND.

• Upvote 1

No question Tibesar would be a great hire, but I'm not sold on the athletic department's willingness to pay him the $200,000+ that would probably be required to acquire him.

Agree.

I think Tibesar is a wet dream, but regardless of who gets hired, as UND92,96 has said, at some point attendance and fan interest has to play a role financially.

Attendance for SDSU was 10,000. Using rough numbers, at $20/ticket that's $200,000 gross revenue. We saw an 11% drop in attendance from SDSU to Montana St. That's a $22,000 hit to the athletic department. What will it be for EWU? 7,000 in the seats? That's a $60,000 drop from the season high. There is no reason that UND can't put 10,000 people in the Alerus every Saturday. They did it in 2001, 2002, 2008, etc................

An extra $15,000-20,000 gross revenue on gameday as a result of better attendance would go a long ways to paying a coaching salary..............

• Upvote 1

Agree.

I think Tibesar is a wet dream, but regardless of who gets hired, as UND92,96 has said, at some point attendance and fan interest has to play a role financially.

Attendance for SDSU was 10,000. Using rough numbers, at $20/ticket that's $200,000 gross revenue. We saw an 11% drop in attendance from SDSU to Montana St. That's a $22,000 hit to the athletic department. What will it be for EWU? 7,000 in the seats? That's a $60,000 drop from the season high. There is no reason that UND can't put 10,000 people in the Alerus every Saturday. They did it in 2001, 2002, 2008, etc................

An extra $15,000-20,000 gross revenue on gameday as a result of better attendance would go a long ways to paying a coaching salary..............

As much as I think this thread is not something I want to contribute to - can we not assume that just because a seat is empty doesn't mean it wasn't sold via season tickets - also do students pay for tickets - if not then there is no lost revenue from a student ticket that goes unclaimed. There are always empty seats at The Ralph but it's always a sell out. But I guess whatever you look for you can find - good or bad.

As much as I think this thread is not something I want to contribute to - can we not assume that just because a seat is empty doesn't mean it wasn't sold via season tickets - also do students pay for tickets - if not then there is no lost revenue from a student ticket that goes unclaimed. There are always empty seats at The Ralph but it's always a sell out. But I guess whatever you look for you can find - good or bad.

Not a real big fan of contributing either but while that seat may be sold for this year, what are the odds that it will be sold for next year? And I can't remember how attendance is counted at the Alerus - butts in seat or tickets sold so not sure how attendance reported is handled.