SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Can someone tell me how you are going to pay a new football coach more that Craig Bohl is getting at NDSU...His base pay was recently moved to around $215k with a maximum of around $400-$425k with incentives...Seriously, we aren't going to be able to pay some new football coach more than Bohl and that's just the hard facts of a state sponsored institution with a maxed out budget as well.

Can someone tell me how you are going to pay a new football coach more that Craig Bohl is getting at NDSU...His base pay was recently moved to around $215k with a maximum of around $400-$425k with incentives...Seriously, we aren't going to be able to pay some new football coach more than Bohl and that's just the hard facts of a state sponsored institution with a maxed out budget as well.

That's true, but wins are all that matter. If we pay a coach $50,000 but consistently win 7 to 8 games a year with a Big Sky schedule, then pay is irrelevant. Hire a good FCS coordinator/FBS position coach at around $200,000 and there should be no issue.

i like incentive based contracts...give him 150K with some easy incentives

playoffs 10K

Big sky title 20K

home play off games 5K per game

National title 25k

grade incentive 5k

average attend over 10 thousdand----$15k

I like the % of ticket revenue idea that has been kicked around. Ticket prices can go up once the building sells out so there would still be incentive for improving performance. aloooooooooooooong way down the road from now, of course.

One advantage we have on firing Muss this year is our season ends 1 week earlier than most other schools. Now I know some people have said we should get a new guy in here in 2 weeks, but I doubt that will happen, unless God forbid, we hire internally.

It will take a week or two just to see who's available and probably longer to go through the app process. Once that's done, you have interviews, background checks, smooze the big money donors. This needs to be done right. I'd rather take a month and get a good guy then rush and get another Muss.

Recruiting is going to take a hit anyway this year, so don't rush out and hire the first guy who shows up. Then, give the guy 5 years to straighten this mess out. We didn't get here overnight, and it's not going away overnight.

Get a guy with serious HC experience and a proven record. I know, it takes money, but you get what you pay for, and did I mention, don't rush the process just to get a warm body?

Did you see what Bubba's recruits did the next few years?

those first couple years he played he had other coach's recruits...once he got his boys in thy performed well...

however...he isn't exactly shuting down the mvfc either

but I like his style...

bring bubba here

along with deboer as OC as I see he is a WR coach in carbondale

Did you see what Bubba's recruits did the next few years?

those first couple years he played he had other coach's recruits...once he got his boys in thy performed well...

however...he isn't exactly shuting down the mvfc either

but I like his style...

bring bubba here

along with deboer as OC as I see he is a WR coach in carbondale

How bubbas recruits did with a different head coach?! Aren't you proving my point?! Haha The new coach won two out of the next three championships.

He could get the recruits but come game time coached them to a .500 winning percent. Sorta like around here we hear how awesome our recruits are but come game time we aren't able to put together a team effort and win many games.

• Upvote 1

How bubbas recruits did with a different head coach?! Aren't you proving my point?! Haha The new coach won two out of the next three championships.

He could get the recruits but come game time coached them to a .500 winning percent. Sorta like around here we hear how awesome our recruits are but come game time we aren't able to put together a team effort and win many games.

How do you know Bubba wouldn't have achieved the same results if he hadn't left to join Lennon at SIU? It took him a couple of years to get the program built the way he wanted, but he left before they gelled and someone else took the reins and the credit. I think Bubba should be in the mix, along with DeBoer.

How do you know Bubba wouldn't have achieved the same results if he hadn't left to join Lennon at SIU? It took him a couple of years to get the program built the way he wanted, but he left before they gelled and someone else took the reins and the credit. I think Bubba should be in the mix, along with DeBoer.

Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda. None can predict the future. But you would guess in his four years as head coach there he would have been better than .500 if somehow hed suddently started winning championships....being a good recruiter and being a good head coach are different.

The next coach did and it took less time than bubba was there. The new guy "did it with bubbas recruits" but he also did it in less time than bubba. I'm not doubting bubbas recruiting skills. Bit how do we know he'd make a great head coach at UND either? We don't....but we have his track record of a regional school when he was head coach. And we will never know if Neilson would have won with his own recruites as he got "promoted" to western Illinois to help build that program.

Dale Lennon won a championship at UND in his first three years at UND. Bubba's third and fourth years he was a combined 10-10.

Now I will reverse the question. Out of all the coaches in the country that might consider UND, why do you think Bubba would be a great/good head coach at UND? (One of your top two choices)

PS. Mussman was a good Coordinator at UND also.

Dale Lennon won a championship at UND in his first three years at UND. Bubba's third and fourth years he was a combined 10-10.

But Lennon took over a program with more depth and talent. Roger Thomas did not exactly leave the cupboard bare in 1998. UMD was a weak program when Bubba took it over and it took him several years to build it up to UND standards.

Now I will reverse the question. Out of all the coaches in the country that might consider UND, why do you think Bubba would be a great head coach at UND?

PS. Mussman was a good Coordinator at UND also.

I don't know, I just think Bubba should be in the conversation. Although the prospect of going outside the box and bringing in new blood is also attractive.

But Lennon took over a program with more depth and talent. Roger Thomas did not exactly leave the cupboard bare in 1998. UMD was a weak program when Bubba took it over and it took him several years to build it up to UND standards.

Shows your lack of understanding of UMD. UMD was far from a "weak program" when bubba arrived.

Define bare cupboard, as Duluths two seasons before Bubba took over the teams were 11-1 and 8-3.

The same guy that led Duluth to those records was the same guy that hired bubba. That same guy also took them back to dominance after Bubba left winning 2 championships in a short period of time before moving on.

One could argue bubba regressed that program as head coach.

• Upvote 2