SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The 53 yard FG attmept should have been worst case scenario in that game in those final moments...oops I guess I'm wrong there too 'cause that didn't happen!

Other than the audible on 3 and 1, which Hanson called at the line if I remember correctly, what am I missing?

Other than the audible on 3 and 1, which Hanson called at the line if I remember correctly, what am I missing?

Zeb hit from that distance the year before, on that same field. A kick to win: Exact. Same. Scenario. But no kick this time?

Here's the recap from the 2011 game (link below):

GREELEY, Colo. — It was a fourth quarter of peaks and valleys for North Dakota placekicker Zeb Miller (Ankeny, Iowa) that ended in elation for both himself and the Fighting Sioux football team on Saturday afternoon at Nottingham Field. The up-and-down sequence made it fitting that the sophomore’s career-long, 54-yard field goal with less than two minutes to play sailed through the uprights with the Rocky Mountains looming in the distance as it propelled the Sioux (5-3) past future Big Sky foe Northern Colorado (0-9) 27-25.

They liked winning that way the first time so much ... that they didn't do it again? :huh:

http://www.undsports...TCLID=205324605

Zeb hit from that distance the year before, on that same field, on the last play. Exact. Same. Scenario. But no kick this time?

They like winning that way the first time so much ... that they didn't do it again? :huh:

Wasn't that one tipped and scraped the crossbar? Maybe Muss didn't trust his defense with 47 seconds left this time around. :tinfoilhat:

From 54 you'll tend to hit it a little flat. To hit from 54 including being tipped is nothing but impressive. Why you wouldn't use that weapon again tells me Mussman really was not situationally aware.

As strong a leg as Zeb had he doesn't need to hit a lower trajectory to make it from 54. If he had a weaker leg I'd agree, it's usual for kickers to hit it lower from that distance but not if they have a huge leg. He's no Blair Walsh but he's also no Robbie Gould in terms of leg strength. Zeb needs to get his kicks up if he wants to get a pro look.

Don't forget that a few years ago they were calling for Bohl's head in Fargo......then came this current recruiting class......and the rest is history. It would appear to me that recruiting is what's falling behind in the past few years, and unfortunately it doesn't get any easier when you're losing!

Also, what has Idalski done?? He has had amazing talent and yet failed to ever advance with a championship. How many olympians does it take to win a title? He is better than what they had before by leaps and bounds, but in my opinion hasn't proven to be a top notch hire yet. People call for Hakstol's head when they don't win titles, why not Idalski? They recruit to the same facility and actually compete against far fewer high level teams throughout the year. Just find the double standard interesting.

Maybe it's because nobody cares about women's hockey?

Don't forget that a few years ago they were calling for Bohl's head in Fargo......then came this current recruiting class......and the rest is history. It would appear to me that recruiting is what's falling behind in the past few years, and unfortunately it doesn't get any easier when you're losing!

Also, what has Idalski done?? He has had amazing talent and yet failed to ever advance with a championship. How many olympians does it take to win a title? He is better than what they had before by leaps and bounds, but in my opinion hasn't proven to be a top notch hire yet. People call for Hakstol's head when they don't win titles, why not Idalski? They recruit to the same facility and actually compete against far fewer high level teams throughout the year. Just find the double standard interesting.

At least Idalski and Hak get their teams into the playoffs...I don't see Muss getting this team to .500

Don't forget the ball carries further at the altitude of UNC....even the announcers on the UND radio network (mike berg?) couldn't believe they were going for it instead of the field goal...and that was before the conversion was unsuccessful.

I was at the game in Greeley. I was surprised that they didn't try the FG, but a 53 yarder is hardly a gimmie. It wasn't "windy" per say, but there was a bit of cross breeze. I didn't pay attention, but maybe Zeb wasn't killing it warmups that day? I'll defer to the coaching staff on that one. If I recall, Braden Hanson made some pretty poor throws in that game, that led to UNC getting back into it. Of course, the defense couldn't make up for it.

Mussman's in-game decisions generally arent' bothersome to me. My biggest worry is how he preps the team each week for a given opponent. There appears to be something left to be desired in that department..................

lane kiffin just said ESPN he wants to go to a small college and coach....Faison get on your phone and cal his agent please.

Personally, I wouldn't want us to hire Kiffin. He isn't a players coach (which is one of the current issues with Mussman), doesn't have a good track record as a college head coach, and he would likely leave as soon as a bigger job offer presented itself. In my opinion, UND needs to get a regional guy with successful DI experience who will commit to UND's football program for long-term. Oh, and also a coach that is passionate and a leader.

Personally, I wouldn't want us to hire Kiffin. He isn't a players coach (which is one of the current issues with Mussman), doesn't have a good track record as a college head coach, and he would likely leave as soon as a bigger job offer presented itself. In my opinion, UND needs to get a regional guy with successful DI experience who will commit to UND's football program for long-term. Oh, and also a coach that is passionate and a leader.

Not many of those around.

Bubba Schweigart, Kalen DeBoer, Chris Klieman, and Tim Tibesar to name a few.

There are also a lot of wildcard options, like Reese Morgan, the defensive line coach at Iowa who recruits the Dakotas.

http://www.hawkeyesp...s/?media=334344

part of the reason i am making a big issue with finding out how much rea gives to und athletics is bc the next coach of und fb should be tim tibesar but its gonna take 250k plus to get him (if we can get him at all) and if rea can give a little more to get the fb team up to d1 standards lets get it done!!

part of the reason i am making a big issue with finding out how much rea gives to und athletics is bc the next coach of und fb should be tim tibesar but its gonna take 250k plus to get him (if we can get him at all) and if rea can give a little more to get the fb team up to d1 standards lets get it done!!

???

I can't stand Lane Kiffen, but I would poop myself if he became our coach. That would be one of the few ways that we would get elite FCS recruits right off the bat.

Percentage chances that he comes here: .0000000000025%

So you are saying there's a chance. :lol: