SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Lane Kiffin is available.

In all seriousness, Faison should give Pat Hayden a call. It's a very similar situation, on a smaller scale obviously. Find out what got him to pull the trigger mid season. USC was defeated 62-41 last night by Arizona State to put their record at 3-2. And they fired their coach. Mid season.

• Upvote 1

I don't think mussman is particularly good at evaluating talent. Remember that really good backup QB last year that someone sat on the bench the prior two years of mediocre at best?

That backup QB was not a very good QB outside of a couple of games. Lot's of talent but he was all over the place.

I don't think the math works there financially with Tibesar, even if he was interested.

Yeah, I read that Tibesar had a base salary of $250,000 plus bonuses/incentives as DC at Purdue. I'm assuming he is making more than that as LB coach of the Bears. ($350 - $375k is avg. salary of a position coach in the NFL)

The only way Tibesar comes back to UND is if he takes a "hometown discount" & comes back for his love of the program. Like to see it but very doubtful...

Yeah, I read that Tibesar had a base salary of $250,000 plus bonuses/incentives as DC at Purdue. I'm assuming he is making more than that as LB coach of the Bears. ($350 - $375k is avg. salary of a position coach in the NFL)

The only way Tibesar comes back to UND is if he takes a "hometown discount" & comes back for his love of the program. Like to see it but very doubtful...

On the other hand, the life of an NFL coach is not easy, and the job security is non-existent. Plus, never underestimate the fact that his wife is a GF native. I'm not sure this is necessarily as far-fetched as some may believe.

• Upvote 1

On the other hand, the life of an NFL coach is not easy, and the job security is non-existent. Plus, never underestimate the fact that his wife is a GF native. I'm not sure this is necessarily as far-fetched as some may believe.

Great points. I did not know his wife was from GF. So, you're telling me there's a chance...

Tibesar would be #1 on my list.

Why make him take a hometown discount? Offer him something just shy of Bohl's salary with incentives for attendance and season tickets. If he's someone who could get us to the point where we're filling the Alerus it would absolutely be worth the investment. A guy with UND ties, BCS coordinating experience, and NFL defensive coaching experience. That's someone who could get the fan base excited. Anybody know what Bohl made when he first came to NDSU? I imagine Nebraska's DC at that time made a pretty healthy salary.

• Upvote 1

Tibesar made 250K as Purdue D coordinator last year...not sure of his salary as Bears assistant but guessing pretty similar ...I say we offer him the 250k...worst he can say is no... chance to be a head coach at the D1 level with more job security and at his alma mater and wife's hometown could be a good fit for him and his family

takes money to make money

I would start donating again if we got tibesar

If the Bears make the playoffs, how would that hire work? How would recruiting be affected?

The money thing would be a good wake up to the UND athletic department. Yeah, Hak deserves his salary. But, if you want to play with the bigger boys, you better pay up. No bucks, no Buck Rogers..

Seriously....stop bringing up ex-UND coaches! If they coached at the DII level we don't want them! We need DI experience....end of story!

Lennon has D1 experience, and is certainly a better coach than Muss, I wouldn't want Muss if we were still a D2 program. In his time here we have yet to win a big game. Beating Montana in a down year is probably the best he has done. Fresno State, SanDSU could have both been wins. Then back to back blowout losses to Montana and Montana State; with likely another one coming against E.Washington. Losing all faith in this team, not because of the losses, but how they are losing. There is just no defense on this team.

Anybody know what Bohl made when he first came to NDSU? I imagine Nebraska's DC at that time made a pretty healthy salary.

If I recall correctly, he was paid $120K/year initially at NDSU. At the same time, he was making the $350k Nebraska owed him for the first three years he was at NDSU.

The NDSU amount doesn't include the incentives, which include the normal perks, but also included if I recall approximately $1500/mo clothing allowance at a particular store in Fargo. Bohl loves his tailored silk shirts.

I hated hearing people talk about firing Muss the past few years; however, over the past week I saw many players down and felt a quite mentality within. I talked to one of them on campus today and he said that at this point there isn't much there motivating the team. I think a drastic change needs to come or we could see even worse results in the coming week and not just against E. Washington. I told the player that many students still believe in them and have not given up on them. Hearing it seemed to make him prouder and brightened his day. I requested that he remind teammates that many of us care more about their effort then about if they win or loss. He said he would be sure to kick it up a notch for the fans who still believe.

Why make him take a hometown discount? Offer him something just shy of Bohl's salary with incentives for attendance and season tickets. If he's someone who could get us to the point where we're filling the Alerus it would absolutely be worth the investment. A guy with UND ties, BCS coordinating experience, and NFL defensive coaching experience. That's someone who could get the fan base excited. Anybody know what Bohl made when he first came to NDSU? I imagine Nebraska's DC at that time made a pretty healthy salary.

Ideally, I wouldn't want him to have to take a "hometown discount". His resume & experience show that he would deserve to make at least $250k + incentives & up, possibly more. I wish UND would be able to pay a top candidate that kind of money. Realistically, I can't see UND going from a coach making a $115k salary + incentives to someone who is going to command an upper $200's salary + incentives. (Even though that's what is needed to get this program back on track)

I agree w/ all the points you listed, I just can't see UND & Faison opening up the ol' checkbook that much. Hopefully I'm wrong....

Ideally, I wouldn't want him to have to take a "hometown discount". His resume & experience show that he would deserve to make at least $250k + incentives & up, possibly more. I wish UND would be able to pay a top candidate that kind of money. Realistically, I can't see UND going from a coach making a $115k salary + incentives to someone who is going to command an upper $200's salary + incentives. (Even though that's what is needed to get this program back on track)

I agree w/ all the points you listed, I just can't see UND & Faison opening up the ol' checkbook that much. Hopefully I'm wrong....

I too question what Faison and the athletic department are willing to pay the next head coach, that is if Faison does indeed do the obviously required thing and remove Mussman and his staff. I hope they get a 200k+ kinda guy but that depends on how much Faison is willing to commit to the football program. So far there has been no indication that Faison wants UND's football program to be a top 3 Big Sky program.

I too question what Faison and the athletic department are willing to pay the next head coach, that is if Faison does indeed do the obviously requires thing and remove Mussman and his staff. I hope they get a 200k+ kinda guy but that depends how much Faison is willing to commit to the football program. So far there has been no indication that Faison wants UNDs football program to be a top 3 half Big Sky program.

FIFY