SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

You thought Muss was good too until a couple days ago. I blame Faison for not pushing Mussman harder before he gave him the extension.

I actually never said he was good. I just didn't want to fire a coach with the circumstances he had early on. He did a decent job in 2010 but other than that it's been grasping for straws to find positives.

oh how is the soccer team doing?

and tennis?

and softball?

and Womens Bball?

only good hire IMO was hardee

Tennis will probably never be good. It's ND. Not a place for tennis.

When was the last time softball was good?

Brewster seems like a good coach. That remains to be seen.

The soccer coach seems legit. That program had been terrible though.

Hardee and Idolski have been great.

http://sports.yahoo....-133157484.html USC could not wait, why are we?

Upon returning to LAX, Kiffin was pulled of the team bus and told of his firing in the parking lot, according to the Los Angeles Daily News. The bus was then sent back to campus.

The move allows the Trojans to focus on what – or who – is next. There's a philosophy in college administrating now, most often credited to Florida A.D. Jeremy Foley, that if the decision to change coaches has been made, don't wait until the end of the season to do it.

Kelley and Faisson haven't made a decision? Or the coach they have in mind is not available until the end of the season?

I too question what Faison and the athletic department are willing to pay the next head coach, that is if Faison does indeed do the obviously required thing and remove Mussman and his staff. I hope they get a 200k+ kinda guy but that depends on how much Faison is willing to commit to the football program. So far there has been no indication that Faison wants UND's football program to be a top 3 Big Sky program.

That is huge... In my mind & most football posters on this board, he is already gone... Tough to think about an scenario where he is back for 2014. All up to Faison I guess, hope he sees the writing on the wall...

So far there has been no indication that Faison wants UND's football program to be a top 3 Big Sky program.

Indoor Practice Facility.

New turf at Memorial Stadium.

New turf at the Alerus.

More football games on TV sine he has been here than ever before.

I think Faison does a good job. He hasnt been afraid to remove under-performong coaches in the past (volleyball, softball, womens hockey, swimming, soccer).

• Upvote 1

I would add these 2 guys to the list.

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=598&path=football

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=590&path=football

I don't want a coach who is going to continue molding us into a second rate "Big Sky" type team.....we need to return to physical pound the ball and have a nasty defense that teams hate to play against.....

Does anyone think our teams in the 2000's would have given up 55 and 63 points to these teams even as a D2 funded team? I am certainly not saying we would have won these games but I am saying that Montana and Montana State would have at least had to crack some icepacks for the trip home.

http://www.gobison.c...8&path=football

http://www.gobison.c...0&path=football

I don't want a coach who is going to continue molding us into a second rate "Big Sky" type team.....we need to return to physical pound the ball and have a nasty defense that teams hate to play against.....

Does anyone think our teams in the 2000's would have given up 55 and 63 points to these teams even as a D2 funded team? I am certainly not saying we would have won these games but I am saying that Montana and Montana State would have at least had to crack some icepacks for the trip home.

This is what I have been telling people. The 2001 defense would have performed better, even with the disparity in athleticism. They were mean, nasty, tough and snot-nosed. They didn't want to give up first downs, let alone touchdowns. They didn't just beat you down, they beat you up. That is what I want at the FCS level as well. And if we have to give up some athleticism to get it, that is a trade off I am willing to make.

I'd be a little hesitant about hiring a coordinator coming off a two or three year stretch with exceptional talent, unless there's a track record of great success even with lesser talent. Case in point--let's not forget that Muss seemed like a lot better offensive coordinator than he ever was before when he was coming off two years of Dressler and Chappell.

• Upvote 1

I'd be a little hesitant about hiring a coordinator coming off a two or three year stretch with exceptional talent, unless there's a track record of great success even with lesser talent. Case in point--let's not forget that Muss seemed like a lot better offensive coordinator than he ever was before when he was coming off two years of Dressler and Chappell.

Both these guys have pretty decent track records prior to NDSU

This is what I have been telling people. The 2001 defense would have performed better, even with the disparity in athleticism. They were mean, nasty, tough and snot-nosed. They didn't want to give up first downs, let alone touchdowns. They didn't just beat you down, they beat you up. That is what I want at the FCS level as well. And if we have to give up some athleticism to get it, that is a trade off I am willing to make.

The picture I have in my head from yesterday's game is a linebacker filling a hole unblocked and just get flat out run over by their running back. He's not the only guy who got run over either. I never thought I would see that from a Sioux defense.

Kelley and Faisson haven't made a decision? Or the coach they have in mind is not available until the end of the season?

99% of the candidates wouldn't be available until the end of the seasons regardless; however, that's still not the reason Faison hasn't done anything yet. You can't hire a new HC mid-season. That's essentially never happened because the coach needs time to hire his own staff and implement his own system.

Indoor Practice Facility.

New turf at Memorial Stadium.

New turf at the Alerus.

More football games on TV sine he has been here than ever before.

I think Faison does a good job. He hasnt been afraid to remove under-performong coaches in the past (volleyball, softball, womens hockey, swimming, soccer).

I think Faison has handled his responsibilities fine, and given the additions you mentioned, he has helped move this football program forward. With that said, the most important aspect of a football team is the coaching and recruiting. In my mind, if UND finishes with a losing record, it's up to Faison to do the right thing and hire a new coach who can instill confidence and recruit top FCS caliber student-athletes. Mussman does not cut it, in both the leadership and recruiting departments.

I think both those guys are good candidates.

It's amazing to me though, and I think it says a lot about the state of these two programs, that coaches from ndsu are being floated by UND fans as candidates for the UND head coach.

If the rivalry isn't dead, part of it certainly is for this to be happening.

I am going throw out an the off the wall candidate. Not sure how well he would be received and comes with some baggage. Mike Kramer at Idaho St.

He turned around Eastern Washington and he turned around Montana St. He left MSU under fire because he had some questionable players (criminals). He is currently stuck at at a dead end job at ISU, a place that receives zero community or institutional support. I only mention him because he has the reputation of a program builder, he has been a head coach for years, he has been around the Big Sky his entire life, and I bet he'd entertain coming here if he were approached about it. As bad as things are here right now, I have to believe it is more attractive place to coach football than in Pocatello.

Again, i have no idea if this would be a good fit at all, butjust the name was worth throwing out there.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing to me though, and I think it says a lot about the state of these two programs, that coaches from ndsu are being floated by UND fans as candidates for the UND head coach.

Now is no time for foolish pride.

I recall when Lennon's name was floated by some as a potential replacement for Babich.

I am going throw out an the off the wall candidate. Not sure how well he would be received and comes with some baggage. Mike Kramer at Idaho St.

He turned around Eastern Washington and he turned around Montana St. He left MSU under fire because he had some questionable players (criminals). He is currently stuck at at a dead end job at ISU, a place that receives zero community or institutional support. I only mention him because he has the reputation of a program builder, he has been a head coach for years, he has been around the Big Sky his entire life, and I bet he'd entertain coming here if he were approached about it. As bad as things are here right now, I have to believe it is more attractive place to coach football than in Pocatello.

Again, i have no idea if this would be a good fit at all, butjust the name was worth throwing out there.

Idaho State actually seems to have a decent team this year

On the other hand, Mussman has managed to keep his teams out of the 'other' news...

We need to start an endowment not for student scholarships but to ensure a football head coach is paid really well....and shoot real high.

UND is getting over $200,00 a year in "free money" from Midco that the program never had before!

I suggested this in another thread and nobody seemed interested. This could be a game-changer.