SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The only way Kiffen would go to "fly-over" North Dakota would be if his USC contract required USC to pay the difference between what he should've made at USC and what he's actually making. He could coach at UND and screw over USC for firing him.

But I'm not sure I'd want that guy.

We should easily be able to pay market value or more to a legitimate, big time coach. Look at Saturday's game. Just under 8,000 fans paid for a ticket when there's potential for 12,000. At $25 per ticket that's $50,000 more in revenue if we get to 10,000 fans, $75,000 if we get to 11,000 fans, and $100,000 if we can sell out. If we bring in a coach who can make us a consistent contender and can get the fan support at least back to where it was under Lennon then we can afford to nearly double Muss's salary based on the increased revenue from ONE GAME!!! The size of the Alerus and the history we have with attendance when the team is successful gives us a huge opportunity for revenue growth but you have to spend money to make money. Based on my very crude breakdown of the numbers we could afford to offer up to $300,000/year if that's what it takes to get the right guy. If we don't have enough cash on hand then offer him a percentage of ticket revenue and give him an incentive to build back the fan base.

With that said, Tim Tibesar is at the top of my list. He's an absolutely perfect candidate based on his connections to UND and his success as a defensive coach at several levels of football including the Big 12, Big 10, CFL, and NFL.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. UND could easily afford another $200,000. Midco contract gives them that money annually now that they never had before.

The Spirit Campaign raised millions for scholarship endowments that weren't there before. Meaning the athletic department will be saving that money that they had to pay before.

How much revenue does the womens hockey team create. My blind assumption is they are in the red. I saw something saying they make spend just over a million and make just over a million each season/year. Unless they are splitting merchandise sales with the mens hockey team I really can't see how they could possibly bring in close to a million a year. They certainly don't get much of a crowd to the games.

Revenue that could legitimately be attributed directly to the women's hockey team wouldn't even pay the head coach's salary, much less cover the assistant coaches' salaries, athletic scholarships, and travel. The University does a lot of accounting gimmicks to reduce the costs and increase the revenues associated with the program. I doubt they see any of the expenses for athletic department overhead, but they receive a large share of money from the student fees and other revenue sources (merchandise, concessions, donations, etc.). Also, outside the books of the university, the Ralph operates on a loss for the Women's hockey team, but makes up for it with revenue from the Men's games.

i know the womens team is needed for title 9 stuff but if the team was eliminated cold the 12-15 (or more?) schollies they have be spread out to the softbal, tennis, vball teams and then save the money of the high cost of running a hockey team?? just wondering

If I remember correctly, I believe the total coaches' salaries for women's sports have to be within a certain percentage of the total for the coaches of the men's sports. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind taking the women's hockey budget and throwing all of it towards volleyball (to keep it going on it's path upward) and women's basketball (to get it back to where it was in the mid/late 90s).

• Upvote 1

i know the womens team is needed for title 9 stuff but if the team was eliminated cold the 12-15 (or more?) schollies they have be spread out to the softbal, tennis, vball teams and then save the money of the high cost of running a hockey team?? just wondering

The short answer is that there were cheaper ways for UND to comply with Title IX other than starting a very expensive women's hockey program. But that ship has sailed. Now that's it here, UND isn't going to terminate womens hockey in the foreseeable future.

The short answer is that there were cheaper ways for UND to comply with Title IX other than starting a very expensive women's hockey program. But that ship has sailed. Now that's it here, UND isn't going to terminate womens hockey in the foreseeable future.

if and that's a big if 3 more big10 schools add womens hockey the wcha would be dead on the womens side and und would drop womens hockey....

Anyone know what Miami (OH) and Western Michigan do? They both have football, hockey, and no women's hockey. Feel they're somewhat comparable to us since they're low-level FBS schools, unlike the Michigans.

if and that's a big if 3 more big10 schools add womens hockey the wcha would be dead on the womens side and und would drop womens hockey....

Penn St actually added a Women's team too. So we just need the Michigans to get their acts together.

At risk of repeating myself, I'd drop baseball and softball long before womens hockey. I'd be persuaded to drop M/W golf, and tennis, also. You see, we have no hope for national success in those, but have a real shot at a title in womens hockey. But, some of those are required for Big Sky membership.

Penn St plays in the CHA in women's hockey. There talk that Michigan will add women's hockey (Supposedly Red Berenson had been adamantly opposed) and then Mich St will follow. Six team B10. Look to Maryland. The WCHA survives by adding Lindenwood from the CHA.

Women's hockey provides Olympians and Learfield Cup pts, which most women's sports would never do. The Englelstad 's $20 mill donation endows some women's scholarships among other things. It is here to stay.

Anyone know what Miami (OH) and Western Michigan do? They both have football, hockey, and no women's hockey. Feel they're somewhat comparable to us since they're low-level FBS schools, unlike the Michigans.

Penn St actually added a Women's team too. So we just need the Michigans to get their acts together.

Miami sponsors women's synchronized skating as a varsity sport with scholarships. W Mich sponsors it as a club sport.

Penn St plays in the CHA in women's hockey. There talk that Michigan will add women's hockey (Supposedly Red Berenson had been adamantly opposed) and then Mich St will follow. Six team B10. Look to Maryland. The WCHA survives by adding Lindenwood from the CHA.

Women's hockey provides Olympians and Learfield Cup pts, which most women's sports would never do. The Englelstad 's $20 mill donation endows some women's scholarships among other things. It is here to stay.

what are learfield cup pts and how do benefit und athletics?

Greg Schiano--believe me,if he was able to turn Rutgers around,he can do it anywhere :)

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS !!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

Foreshadowing??? ;)

'Cause he will be looking for work within the next couple months...

What about the Grambling coach that got fired? I think he won a bunch of league championships there before their funding got cut? Guessing it would be a no go because of the negative conotation from a connection with Grambling and because he's a Southern guy... just a thought though.

What about the Grambling coach that got fired? I think he won a bunch of league championships there before their funding got cut? Guessing it would be a no go because of the negative conotation from a connection with Grambling and because he's a Southern guy... just a thought though.

I just saw some pix on foxsports of their weightroom and stuff. disgusting. someone's head needs to roll for that. and after seeing that how inthe world would any kid want to go to grambling.