SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

It seems odd that you say that you cannot claim you know why they left unless you know the players, yet you know that less players would have left if there was a coach in place by December 10th. You then use boosters talk to change your opinion of Brian Faison. Depending on which booster you talk to, Dave Hakstol doesn't deserve to be head hockey coach either.

Those boosters are friends of mine, and I myself am a booster I guess since I support the university and athletic department the best I can each and every year. A part of their displeasure with Mr. Faison is due to the success of NDSU and Gene Taylor. Gene Taylor has made Faison look quite incapable, relative to NDSU of course.

When you're from North Dakota and have been associated with UND for a while, you can't escape the NDSU comparisons, and to think otherwise is ignorant.

I don't necessarily agree. I'm normally a University apologist, but I too am quite frustrated with how long this process has taken. I'm really having a hard time with coming up with a plausible explanation as to why a coach wasn't named by December 13. It certainly should have gone no later than this past Friday IMO.

Having said that, I think Faison has been an excellent A.D., possibly the best this University has ever had, for many reasons that I've outlined in the past.

• Despite what happened this past month, the initial hiring of Ashlee Hardee was a home run. Totally turned that program around. When things went bad, he acted quite swiftly in a way that tells me his standards are high
  • As the end of the transition to DI came to a close, he basically had two conferences fighting for us.
  • When The Summit League's commissioner had egg all over his face after the Big Sky came in stole UND out from under them, I loved how he handled the outlandish allegations that Douple started throwing around involving the nickname issue. Faison called a press conference and basically announced that Tom Douple is a lying sack of you know what. He made no bones about it. The guy has great resolve.
  • When the WCHA imploded, Faison took the lead in establishing a new league that would insure that UND wouldn't be stuck with the "have-nots" of the college hockey world. Ala "Douple-Gate", I liked how he was never bashful that he questioned the leadership of the WCHA.
  • He fired Mussman. The fact that he probably had to go to the President and say, "We need to make a change at the top of the football program, I need money to buy out the contract that I extended a year ago", tells me he cares more about the direction of the program than he does his own job security.

I'd take Faison every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Gene Taylor.

Couldn't agree more! Not particularly impressed with how this hiring situation was handled, but I'm sure that there is more to the process than we know, and I trust Faison to make a good decision because I believe that he has done a great job overall!

• Upvote 2

I don't necessarily agree. I'm normally a University apologist, but I too am quite frustrated with how long this process has taken. I'm really having a hard time with coming up with a plausible explanation as to why a coach wasn't named by December 13. It certainly should have gone no later than this past Friday IMO.

Having said that, I think Faison has been an excellent A.D., possibly the best this University has ever had, for many reasons that I've outlined in the past.

• Despite what happened this past month, the initial hiring of Ashlee Hardee was a home run. Totally turned that program around. When things went bad, he acted quite swiftly in a way that tells me his standards are high
  • As the end of the transition to DI came to a close, he basically had two conferences fighting for us.
  • When The Summit League's commissioner had egg all over his face after the Big Sky came in stole UND out from under them, I loved how he handled the outlandish allegations that Douple started throwing around involving the nickname issue. Faison called a press conference and basically announced that Tom Douple is a lying sack of you know what. He made no bones about it. The guy has great resolve.
  • When the WCHA imploded, Faison took the lead in establishing a new league that would insure that UND wouldn't be stuck with the "have-nots" of the college hockey world. Ala "Douple-Gate", I liked how he was never bashful that he questioned the leadership of the WCHA.
  • He fired Mussman. The fact that he probably had to go to the President and say, "We need to make a change at the top of the football program, I need money to buy out the contract that I extended a year ago", tells me he cares more about the direction of the program than he does his own job security.

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

• Upvote 1

Agreed Faison has had success in the conference area (especially if you overlook the disasterous hockey media contract). However, we have some serious work to do in all programs from a competative standpoint. We are approaching the longest title drought in hockey history, our favored vollyeball team melted down in more ways than one, our men's basketball team has not even come close to fulfilling the promise that it had 4 years ago - we have not progressed in our play one iota, women's basketball has work to do - football - what can you say. Many see the football hiring process as a joke. We need to show that we are serious contenders in the DI era. They were bold down south and are reaping the rewards.

so...i been sit at denny bar all nite....just no answer. just none

our ad is idk

he need to learn hot to make a choice.

still been hearin deboer

my sources are legit

My wife had an OBGYN that knew we wanted a girl, so he told us it was a boy. That way, if it was a boy, we weren't disappointed and when it was a girl we were surprised and happy. Are you doing the same thing for Bubba supporters? If its DeBoer, you have softened the blow by saying what they did not want to hear, but if it is Bubba, everyone will be happy and not get mad at you for telling them it was the other guy?

• Upvote 1