SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Just curious... Does anyone know how long it took UMary to hire Kotelnicki with the same ND hiring rules

It's a private school, so I believe the process is completely different. I also believe their coach announced prior to the season that he was retiring, so I guess technically they had been looking for a new coach since July or August.

It's a private school, so I believe the process is completely different. I also believe their coach announced prior to the season that he was retiring, so I guess technically they had been looking for a new coach since July or August.

And Faison should have had this process in his mind in October.

For me, it appears that Faison didn't do one thing in an effort to expedite the process. It felt as if he went step by step...but didn't even look at step 2 until step 1 was completed ("OK, the deadline has passed for applicants...now what?"). I think it is also pretty evident that he didn't know or didn't have a game plan in place when it came to dealing with the football team post Mussman.

Personally, I think this "process" they had to follow is a scape goat for everything. Read an article today again in Herald pretty much blaming the entire length of time of this hiring on the process. Give me a break! Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't I read somewhere that this "process" also had a provision in there that candidates were given a point total and if Faison interviewed anyone if there was a candidate with a higher point total they too had to be interviewed? Bubba and DeBoer were the only 2 to interview from what we have been told correct? So, the national draw...NFL experience...NCAA HC experience...etc, etc. point system put Bubba and DeBoer as the Top 2?

I said it in an earlier post, the only way I would have played along with this delay would have been if Faison landed a super hero type hire at the 13th hour. Hiring someone that anyone on this board could have hired on Dec. 11th doesn't exactly cut it for me in terms of what I want our AD doing.

...maybe after the 54 point outburst last night by Philly Faison was calling Tibesar again this morning...

What's laughable is the thought that this dragging on so long has no effect on the UND Football program moving forward. Ever coached college football before? The proof is in the pudding. Kids have left already and damage has been done to the 2014 recruiting class. Those are facts. If the new coach was in place earlier, some of that could have been prevented. If they were taking this long because they were waiting for some potential candidate to finish their season, that would be one thing. But that wasn't the case because this whole process has been by the book. They have had it narrowed down to Deboer and Bubba for way too long. It should not take this long to decide between the 2. 10 days could have made a huge difference. The biggest joke of all is that Daniella Irle has so much say and input in hiring a football coach. Why? Just one reason why this whole process has been an absolute disaster, regardless of who they hire. There was no plan in place and it is painfully obvious that the world of division 1 football is alien to Brian Faison and his athletic department.

Ummm, care to elaborate? I'm certainly not defending UND's process. Frankly, it drives me crazy. But clearly public and private schools are not really comparable in terms of their procedures for hiring.

Sorry. I agree with you 100%. I accidently cut off the post you were quoting.

Personally, I think this "process" they had to follow is a scape goat for everything. Read an article today again in Herald pretty much blaming the entire length of time of this hiring on the process. Give me a break! Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't I read somewhere that this "process" also had a provision in there that candidates were given a point total and if Faison interviewed anyone if there was a candidate with a higher point total they too had to be interviewed? Bubba and DeBoer were the only 2 to interview from what we have been told correct? So, the national draw...NFL experience...NCAA HC experience...etc, etc. point system put Bubba and DeBoer as the Top 2?

As someone (siouxjoy) who was very familiar with the hiring process explained here, here and here, the process is what the Herald laid out, they aren't making it up as they go along. There were 9 candidates interviewed, not 2. Bubba and DeBoer were the two finalists after the initial 9 were interviewed.

As someone (siouxjoy) who was very familiar with the hiring process explained here, here and here, the process is what the Herald laid out, they aren't making it up as they go along. There were 9 candidates interviewed, not 2. Bubba and DeBoer were the two finalists after the initial 9 were interviewed.

I'm not blaming the Herald. I'm blaming Faison. So 9 were interviewed, 2 had face to face interviews. Why couldn't all of that happened sooner?

I'm not blaming the Herald. I'm blaming Faison. So 9 were interviewed, 2 had face to face interviews. Why couldn't all of that happened sooner?

If what siouxjoy said is correct, it taking a week or so to get through all the interviews and narrow down the finalists seemed more or less in line. The face to face interviews are the part that is a mystery to me. No clue why they waited until this weekend to do them. I'm assuming either this afternoon or tomorrow we will have our new coach. The application date for the assistant coaches closes next Monday. Hopefully he can get his staff in place quickly.

My point is in the grand scheme if things, does it really matter if we hire a coach it 28 days or 38 days? No. Just think if Faison hired a guy in 10 days. People would be complaining that he should have taken more time to evaluate his options.i trust in the process and that Faison will get the right guy. He has had a pretty good track record if hiring good coaches that have had a lot if success. Football should be no different. What exactly could he have done different? He has followed a pretty normal hiring process. Get a list if candidates, narrow the list down and so phone interviews, then come up with a final 2 for face to face meeting and make his decision. When you are talking about hiring a football coach that you are looking to turn the program around, you are gonna make for sure you get the right guy. And Faison is making sure he does that. If you don't like the process, maybe apply for an HR job in the UND athletic department and make some changes. In the mean time, relax and let the process play out.

I agree. Maybe UND should wait even a few more weeks, just to be super-duper sure it is making the right decision. I mean, how can you possibly know with just one interview whether you're getting the right guy? I think there should at least be second interviews, maybe third interviews. Better yet, maybe they could set up some mock games and put them through actual coaching situations. I mean, how can you really know you're making the right decision through just a standard interview? The football season doesn't start until August. There's no need to rush this through. I think if they wait until July, that will really ensure they are making the right decision. In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is getting the right guy. Time = better decision, so take more time and make a better decision. There is no reason UND should be like all the other DI universities out there making rash decisions and hiring quickly. They're all doing it wrong. UND is doing it right.

• Upvote 2

How this process has been handled is indefensible. Do you think the candidates aren't saying to themselves "wtf?" right now? They know this is ridiculous but they won't say it publicly. Faison had a chance to take the process and bull by the horns early on, but didn't. When he knew he was making a change back after the game on November 2nd, maybe he should have planned accordingly for the timing of the process to play out? That's the real timing of this. November 2nd until today, December 23rd. He has no clue about the Division 1 football realities of today. This disaster of a process has clearly illustrated that. Just hoping for the best for UND DESPITE the actions and lack of quality leadership by our AD.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Maybe UND should wait even a few more weeks, just to be super-duper sure it is making the right decision. I mean, how can you possibly know with just one interview whether you're getting the right guy? I think there should at least be second interviews, maybe third interviews. Better yet, maybe they could set up some mock games and put them through actual coaching situations. I mean, how can you really know you're making the right decision through just a standard interview? The football season doesn't start until August. There's no need to rush this through. I think if they wait until July, that will really ensure they are making the right decision. In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is getting the right guy. Time = better decision, so take more time and make a better decision. There is no reason UND should be like all the other DI universities out there making rash decisions and hiring quickly. They're all doing it wrong. UND is doing it right.

How about a Madden tournament? Must use "conventional" as play calling option.

Also, there was a quick update on the coaching search at http://footballscoop.com/the-scoops this morning. Seems that it has been taken down now. Just another note that Bubba and DeBoer were finalists and a new coach was to be named early this week. Maybe they took it down to ADD some new information. Has a decision been made...

How about a Madden tournament? Must use "conventional" as play calling option.

I was thinking a mock game with the HR department coming up with a point system to judge the coaches on their in-game decisions. Maybe mock recruiting living room visits with an HR point system for that as well.

I was thinking a mock game with the HR department coming up with a point system to judge the coaches on their in-game decisions. Maybe mock recruiting living room visits with an HR point system for that as well.

And a mock post-game press conference which will be scored on quality of answers as well as style and charisma. This is key.

If we had hired a new coach December first how many of the players that transferred out would have stayed? Do you really think that having a coach in place would have kept them here? Remember that we were 3-8 last year and are replacing their entire coaching staff. These players left because currently UND is not that good and their is uncertainty at coaching. Seriously people, these players probably decided they were going to transfer back in October. The fact that we are not good right now is the main reason players are transferring.