SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats to NDSU

southpaw

EWU takes out #25 Oregon State. That doesn't negate NDSU's win (tip of cap to 'SU), but they may not be the story of the weekend anymore.

Seems the top of FCS, for a game, should be able to handle an FBS school. For a game. I don't believe an FCS school has the depth to play a full schedule of FBS teams, especially those from power conferences.

For UND? Get to the top of FCS.

For NDSU? They scheduled a month to recover. That's part of this run: smart scheduling.

Final thought: may the biggest of the big be talking about their own division and playing insular schedules to prevent these types of losses in the future?

EWU takes out #25 Oregon State. That doesn't negate NDSU's win (tip of cap to 'SU), but they may not be the story of the weekend anymore.

Seems the top of FCS, for a game, should be able to handle an FBS school. For a game. I don't believe an FCS school has the depth to play a full schedule of FBS teams, especially those from power conferences.

For NDSU? They scheduled a month to recover. That's part of this run: smart scheduling.

Final thought: may the biggest of the big be talking about their own division and playing insular schedules to prevent these types of losses in the future?

Well, the B1G has instituted what I like to call "The Minnesota Rule" because the Gophers couldn't beat teams like USD and NDSU at home. I wouldn't be surprised if other conferences did the same thing. Losing games to FCS schools is an embarrassment that most programs don't want to have to explain to deep-pocketed athletic boosters and potential blue chip recruits.

As for UND getting to the top of FCS, that will require beating good FCS teams. With seven home games this year, this is the perfect time to establish ourselves.

The EWU-OSU is a bigger upset than ndsu-kstate. Problem is, there is a ton of big names playing today so there's no way that game will be the lead story on sportscenter. ndsu hit the absolute jackpot when that game was moved to Friday and they win the game. I couldn't begin to calculate the value of the media hits they received yesterday.

The EWU-OSU is a bigger upset than ndsu-kstate. Problem is, there is a ton of big names playing today so there's no way that game will be the lead story on sportscenter. ndsu hit the absolute jackpot when that game was moved to Friday and they win the game. I couldn't begin to calculate the value of the media hits they received yesterday.

Correct. Plus it was a west coast game so ESPN will give the score and a quick mention while NDSU got a lot of hype last night and today(Gameday)

Correct. Plus it was a west coast game so ESPN will give the score and a quick mention while NDSU got a lot of hype last night and today(Gameday)

SU's win was the first big FCS win over FBS this season. Dont forget K State is the defending B12 champ. Then throw in SU has back to back FCS NCs in their pocket. That carries some weight. It adds up to the hype they got and deserved the last couple of days.

UND desperately needs a FBS win but a win Saturday vs a top 10 FCS team is a start. All the SU and EWU wins do is make this next 3 game stretch more important for Muss and his staff to show they can get this program turned around. Lose the next 3...all at home...and I'll put the "For Sale" sign in Muss's yard!

• Upvote 2

Last year's Sagarin rating had the Bison rated similar to a middle of the pack in the SEC as the #35 team in the country and ahead of every team in some FBS conferences.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2012/conference/

That is absolutely laughable!!! Please stop. Running through the gauntlet that is the SEC schedule would tear them apart from the very first minute. My gosh...please think with a realistic mind here. Your talking about the 'best' conference in the FBS absolutely stockpiled with 4/5 star recruits all the way down to the 3rd and 4th spots on their depth charts.

I was very proud of my home state for that hug win but please keep your sanity here. First see what kstate does the rest of the year, second it was prbobably one great game. From a look at the box score it appears NDSU did get quite lucky against an unranked squad. Big win though. NDSU could handle an SEC schedule....my god.

If K-State has a bad year their demoralizing defeat in game one could be a factor. Great win for the Bison regardless of what KSU does the next couple months. Can only help recruiting for not only NDSU but for other FCS teams in the region.

Oh, one other thing...I spewed coffee at the suggestion that USD go FBS along with the other Dakotas and Montanas.

• Upvote 1

If K-State has a bad year their demoralizing defeat in game one could be a factor. Great win for the Bison regardless of what KSU does the next couple months. Can only help recruiting for not only NDSU but for other FCS teams in the region.

Oh, one other thing...I spewed coffee at the suggestion that USD go FBS along with the other Dakotas and Montanas.

Why? They are a legitimate state flagship institution along with the other aforementioned schools and would add regional appeal. Idaho would also be another addition that would fit nicely.

That is absolutely laughable!!! Please stop. Running through the gauntlet that is the SEC schedule would tear them apart from the very first minute. My gosh...please think with a realistic mind here. Your talking about the 'best' conference in the FBS absolutely stockpiled with 4/5 star recruits all the way down to the 3rd and 4th spots on their depth charts.

I was very proud of my home state for that hug win but please keep your sanity here. First see what kstate does the rest of the year, second it was prbobably one great game. From a look at the box score it appears NDSU did get quite lucky against an unranked squad. Big win though. NDSU could handle an SEC schedule....my god.

I don't think NDSU would do well in the SEC but I don't think they would be in last place at the end of the year. The most impressive thing to me about the K State win is that they controlled the game and for the most part were the more physical team. It wasn't a fluke that they won that game, they deserved and earned that win. Preseason rankings really don't mean a lot but it wouldn't surprise me if K State ends up in the top 25 by the end of the season.

I don't think NDSU would do well in the SEC but I don't think they would be in last place at the end of the year. The most impressive thing to me about the K State win is that they controlled the game and for the most part were the more physical team. It wasn't a fluke that they won that game, they deserved and earned that win. Preseason rankings really don't mean a lot but it wouldn't surprise me if K State ends up in the top 25 by the end of the season.

K-State will be nowhere near the top 25 at end of season. The will be 6-6, maybe 7-5, finish 6th or 7th in the conference...go to a lower level bowl game. A very average FBS team this season....NDSU beat them because they controlled the pace and NDSU's starters are as good or better than Kansas State's starters.

Bigger in that OSU was ranked one spot higher than K-State and EWU isn't as good as NDSU sure. Hard thing early in the year to figure out how good some of these teams are.

A.) Sagarin stats are for one game scenarios I believe. Of course NDSU couldn't handle an SEC schedule. Even Alabama couldn't if you only gave them 63 scholarships. Could NDSU play with the lower SEC schools? Probably a few of them. Mel Kiper seems to think so anyway.

There was no flukey luck in beating K-State. NDSU shut down their running game...NDSU ran the ball effectively. That is how football games are won.

I think this quote from this Bison fan is about as laughable as that.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30923-Future-FBS-opponents

Good FBS programs will be scared to play us. Good FCS OOC schools are scared to play us. It leaves NDSU with only two options. Either advocate a 9 game conference schedule to bring OOC games down to 2 most years or move up

I am sure Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Stanford, etc..is shaking cause they are scared to play NDSU. :lol:

I think this quote from this Bison fan is about as laughable as that.

http://www.bisonvill...e-FBS-opponents

I am sure Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Stanford, etc..is shaking cause they are scared to play NDSU. :lol:

You listed elite programs. Plenty of "good" programs would probably rather not schedule top notch FCS schools.

K-State will be nowhere near the top 25 at end of season. The will be 6-6, maybe 7-5, finish 6th or 7th in the conference...go to a lower level bowl game. A very average FBS team this season....NDSU beat them because they controlled the pace and NDSU's starters are as good or better than Kansas State's starters.

I still think we don't know much about K State as a team and the next few weeks will tell about the rest of the season for them. I really doubt they will have another game this year in which the run game is shut down like it was Friday night. I wasn't saying they are a lock to be a top 25 team at years end but I think it likely.

I still think we don't know much about K State as a team and the next few weeks will tell about the rest of the season for them. I really doubt they will have another game this year in which the run game is shut down like it was Friday night. I wasn't saying they are a lock to be a top 25 team at years end but I think it likely.

They have a ways to go to be a top 25 team. They were not a top 25 team before losing to ndsu(who is not a top 25 team). I think it very unlikely.

Dead last...or second to last with maybe one conference win if they got lucky and beat Kentucky....it would also have to be the first or second game if the season.

Why? They are a legitimate state flagship institution along with the other aforementioned schools and would add regional appeal. Idaho would also be another addition that would fit nicely.

USD went 1-10 last year. Even when they had respectable seasons under Meierkort they did poorly on the road. Their W-L record in their last ten matchups against UND, NDSU, an SDSU is something like 4-26. Vermillion is a nice town (I live there) but it is never going to be a draw to talent needed to succeed consistently in FCS, let alone FBS.

Bigger in that OSU was ranked one spot higher than K-State and EWU isn't as good as NDSU sure. Hard thing early in the year to figure out how good some of these teams are.

A.) Sagarin stats are for one game scenarios I believe. Of course NDSU couldn't handle an SEC schedule. Even Alabama couldn't if you only gave them 63 scholarships. Could NDSU play with the lower SEC schools? Probably a few of them. Mel Kiper seems to think so anyway.

There was no flukey luck in beating K-State. NDSU shut down their running game...NDSU ran the ball effectively. That is how football games are won.

If Alabama only had 63 scholarships they would still drop 80 on NDSU. If you take away the turnovers (which you can't do) the bison lose. Kstate had like 8 returning starters and it was the first game of the year. That was obviously in NDSUs favor. Which lower schools are you talking about? They might have a close game with Kentucky but every other team crushes them quick. This sucks because I was pumped watching that win but all this crazy talk about them competing in the SEC is insane.

• Upvote 1

And you're basing that assessment on what?

past history says that if ndac beats a fbs team that said school will be a very very bad team...its like death and taxes

2006 Ball State (5-7)

2007 Western Michigan (8-6)

2007 Minnesota (1-11)

2010 Kansas (3-9)

2011 Minnesota (3-9)

2012 Colorado State (4-8)

2013 Kansas State (4-8 or 3-9)???

• Upvote 1

They're as good a FCS team as any the last 20 years but let's keep this in perspective, they couldn't compete in any major FBS conference because of three things...size, speed, and most importantly depth...they would get worn down by good teams.

That doesn't take anything away from the product they are putting on the field now, it is impressive, but thinking they could play a full season in a major conference is asinine.

I saw the quote from the NDSU fan who thought it would be fun to have the two champions play at the end of the year, I bet Bohl doesn't share that thought. You think they kicked Notre Dames ass? This would be horrific.

We watched the second half of the game at a bar in Hampden, ND and my buddy asks which number does Travis Beck wear, and they all answer 52! That was funny. I have never been in a Bar in North Dakota that was so pro Bison. I almost vomited. :)

Edited by Goon