SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats to NDSU

southpaw

They're as good a FCS team as any the last 20 years but let's keep this in perspective, they couldn't compete in any major FBS conference because of three things...size, speed, and most importantly depth...they would get worn down by good teams.

That doesn't take anything away from the product they are putting on the field now, it is impressive, but thinking they could play a full season in a major conference is asinine.

I saw the quote from the NDSU fan who thought it would be fun to have the two champions play at the end of the year, I bet Bohl doesn't share that thought. You think they kicked Notre Dames ass? This would be horrific.

This is precisely why I am reluctant to give NDSU kudos on anything. They give Gopher hockey fans a run for their money on being the most obnoxious and insufferable. Alabama would roll over most of the teams in the Big 12, so all this talk about how NDSU could match up with them is just insane. The SEC is a whole football universe by itself.

You listed elite programs. Plenty of "good" programs would probably rather not schedule top notch FCS schools.

I would tend to agree somewhat. Depending on the definition of "good" I don't think programs like Indiana or Purdue would schedule NDSU at this time. Maybe even some above that level.

Like I said before - oddly this helps programs like UND schedule FBS schools for the big payout. Like the one they will get with Washington. But, it probably hurts some teams, like the Ag School and Eastern Washington with scheduling "good" FBS programs.

Congratulations to NDSU and their football team - they have a darn good one. Not only are the players talented, but they are also extremely well coached, which I find to be the most impressive component of their team. As far as FCS football goes in the Dakotas, NDSU has set the bar very high. If UND football wants to make progress and start climbing the stairs so to speak, they could help out their fan base with a win against South Dakota State this weekend. No more moral victories along with stagnant seasons; time to produce! Since moving up to DI, UND football has yet to have a season or a signature victory that truthfully can make their supporters/alumni proud. I find that to be quite concerning, but I'm hopeful this is the season we break through.

• Upvote 4

I did not pick the Bison to win this one. A good game with great effort from Brock Jensen. EWU really made some FCS noise by beating Oregon State as well. It is always fun to see the big programs fall.

That being said, any talk of moving to FBS is just nuts given the current structure of NCAA FB. It sure seems to me that both NDSU and UND are where they belong. And, I would much rather play for a national title that some obscure no-name bowl game.

• Upvote 2

We watched the second half of the game at a bar in Hampden, ND and my buddy asks which number does Travis Beck wear, and they all answer 52! That was funny. I have never been in a Bar in North Dakota that was so pro Bison. I almost vomited. :)

This could be attributed to Hampden being fairly close to Munich, which is Beck's hometown.

I did not pick the Bison to win this one. A good game with great effort from Brock Jensen. EWU really made some FCS noise by beating Oregon State as well. It is always fun to see the big programs fall.

That being said, any talk of moving to FBS is just nuts given the current structure of NCAA FB. It sure seems to me that both NDSU and UND are where they belong. And, I would much rather play for a national title that some obscure no-name bowl game.

New Mexico Bowl? Obscure? :lol:

I still think we don't know much about K State as a team and the next few weeks will tell about the rest of the season for them. I really doubt they will have another game this year in which the run game is shut down like it was Friday night. I wasn't saying they are a lock to be a top 25 team at years end but I think it likely.

I think the Big 12 coaches poll has K-State pegged pretty accurately in picking them 6th. Don't think the 6th best team in Big 12 will crack the top 25.

They have La-Lafayette and Umass the next 2 weeks which should get them to 2-1. At Texas, at OSU, and Baylor at home will drop them to 2-4. A horrible West Virginia team and aweful Iowa State team are next and lifts them to 4-4. At Texas Tech is probably their make or break game as far as making a bowl. Give them a win and they are 5-4 before losses to TCU and OU which puts them at 5-6 heading into their rivalry game at Kansas which should lift them to 6-6 and get them into a crappy bowl game somewhere.

I think the Big 12 coaches poll has K-State pegged pretty accurately in picking them 6th. Don't think the 6th best team in Big 12 will crack the top 25.

They have La-Lafayette and Umass the next 2 weeks which should get them to 2-1. At Texas, at OSU, and Baylor at home will drop them to 2-4. A horrible West Virginia team and aweful Iowa State team are next and lifts them to 4-4. At Texas Tech is probably their make or break game as far as making a bowl. Give them a win and they are 5-4 before losses to TCU and OU which puts them at 5-6 heading into their rivalry game at Kansas which should lift them to 6-6 and get them into a crappy bowl game somewhere.

A more interesting question to me is not their overall record at the end of the season, but what other teams will be able to accomplish what ndsu did...go into that stadium and win. They don't lose at home often. Bohl lost there 3 out of 4 times while coaching at Nebraska.

A more interesting question to me is not their overall record at the end of the season, but what other teams will be able to accomplish what ndsu did...go into that stadium and win. They don't lose at home often. Bohl lost there 3 out of 4 times while coaching at Nebraska.

True. But do you see anyway that team wins more than 7 games....not taking anything away from NDSU at all. Beating any FBS team on the road is impressive. We will see how the Kansas State season plays out before we can say for sure if this win supplants the Central Michigan win as their most impressive FBS victory.

On Bohl losing 3 out of 4 their while at Nebraska.....considering K-State has beat Nebraska 15 times in 95 games that might have been a contributing factor in why Bohl was let go at Nebraska.

If Alabama only had 63 scholarships they would still drop 80 on NDSU. If you take away the turnovers (which you can't do) the bison lose. Kstate had like 8 returning starters and it was the first game of the year. That was obviously in NDSUs favor. Which lower schools are you talking about? They might have a close game with Kentucky but every other team crushes them quick. This sucks because I was pumped watching that win but all this crazy talk about them competing in the SEC is insane.

What game were you watching? There were a total of three turnovers in the game. The Bison picked off K-State in the 2nd Q. The resulting drive was the one with the dropped pass in the endzone and the missed field goal. Zero Bison points off the INT. The second turnover was when Brock was picked off near the beginning of the 2nd half. That lead to a K-State touchdown to put them up 14-7. The final turnover of the night was the last offensive K-State play of the game with less than 30 seconds on the clock and no time outs.

If you take away the turnovers, it's just as likely the Bison win by 10 instead of 3.

Oh, and no way the Bison compete in the SEC. Worst matchup with the Bison of all the FBS conferences. I will say this, with the exception of the elite teams like Oregon, Ohio State, and the top end of the SEC, these Bison could make a single game against any FBS team. As far as competing in conference play, of course the Bison wouldn't fair well. That scholarship differential of 22 would rear its ugly head long before the end of the season. But take the existing Bison program and give us the 22 scholarships to fill out our depth. No major changes to the coaching staff or starters(give us an extra position coach because I think FBS is allowed one more than FCS), but let us improve our second and third strings. I think that Bison team could compete* in all FBS conferences except the SEC and wouldn't be the worst team in that conference.

*by compete, I mean not bottom quarter; top third of non-BCS conferences, middle-pack to slightly below most BCS, right around the bottom third mark of B1G, maybe Big12.

What game were you watching? There were a total of three turnovers in the game. The Bison picked off K-State in the 2nd Q. The resulting drive was the one with the dropped pass in the endzone and the missed field goal. Zero Bison points off the INT. The second turnover was when Brock was picked off near the beginning of the 2nd half. That lead to a K-State touchdown to put them up 14-7. The final turnover of the night was the last offensive K-State play of the game with less than 30 seconds on the clock and no time outs.

If you take away the turnovers, it's just as likely the Bison win by 10 instead of 3.

Oh, and no way the Bison compete in the SEC. Worst matchup with the Bison of all the FBS conferences. I will say this, with the exception of the elite teams like Oregon, Ohio State, and the top end of the SEC, these Bison could make a single game against any FBS team. As far as competing in conference play, of course the Bison wouldn't fair well. That scholarship differential of 22 would rear its ugly head long before the end of the season. But take the existing Bison program and give us the 22 scholarships to fill out our depth. No major changes to the coaching staff or starters(give us an extra position coach because I think FBS is allowed one more than FCS), but let us improve our second and third strings. I think that Bison team could compete* in all FBS conferences except the SEC and wouldn't be the worst team in that conference.

*by compete, I mean not bottom quarter; top third of non-BCS conferences, middle-pack to slightly below most BCS, right around the bottom third mark of B1G, maybe Big12.

holy crap...if if and buts were candy and nuts it would be christmas all the time!!!! get real

They had a great win and that final drive was incredible. Tip of the hat to NDSU.

In terms of the FBS talk, the biggest determining factor to move-ups is the media market the team brings and what it is worth. Unfortunately the upper midwest doesn't provide anything close to what they are looking for. I am not saying that it is impossible but the odds are stacked heavily against it. If there is a separation from the top conferences then all bets are off. This is just my theory of course.

• Upvote 1

yeah, I will take your word for it. the Hampden Bar is like nine short miles from the hunting shack on the back roads.

You must be after Canada's already?

Just saw a limit of 15? Good grief, I thought cleaning 8 of those monsters in Canada was a big job (worse than 20 snows), but 15 is crazy. And I just saw the snow goose limit is 50. Last time I hunted 50 would have been easy, would have been fun to try. Maybe we'll get another chance out west.

• Upvote 1

You must be after Canada's already?

Just saw a limit of 15? Good grief, I thought cleaning 8 of those monsters in Canada was a big job (worse than 20 snows), but 15 is crazy. And I just saw the snow goose limit is 50. Last time I hunted 50 would have been easy, would have been fun to try. Maybe we'll get another chance out west.

No, we have had to mow grass at the hunting shack by hand this summer and have busted our butts... Our riding lawn mower has been broken. I mowed like 2 acres this past weekend. There's no grain down yet either... We didn't even see any geese this weekend, a few here and there, but I think they're hiding out back in the fields behind unharvested crops.

Haven't even looked out here yet, way too hot for waterfowl hunting. Would guess whatever is around is finding harvested peas as usual. At any rate should be done mowing when any hunting season starts :)

There should be a lot of ducks this season for Ducktober.

This board does not understand B12 Football. It is a league of speed and athleticism, and KSU has done very well competing. KSU OL is the best in that league, and they will get traction as the season goes along. KSU was accustomed to having success on the ground, but that played right into NDSU strength, so they were forced to be very one dimensional. This game was a tough matchup for KSU,, then add in a little lack of focus on conditioning for a 100 deg day and you see the result.

KSU got their wakeup call, and I expect a 3 td win vs. Louisiana Lay. That will be a pissed off team next week. If they are not a 8+ win team and top 3 in the B12, I will be shocked. They were also picked 6th in 2012 before winning the championship.

This board does not understand B12 Football. It is a league of speed and athleticism, and KSU has done very well competing. KSU OL is the best in that league, and they will get traction as the season goes along. KSU was accustomed to having success on the ground, but that played right into NDSU strength, so they were forced to be very one dimensional. This game was a tough matchup for KSU,, then add in a little lack of focus on conditioning for a 100 deg day and you see the result.

KSU got their wakeup call, and I expect a 3 td win vs. Louisiana Lay. That will be a pissed off team next week. If they are not a 8+ win team and top 3 in the B12, I will be shocked. They were also picked 6th in 2012 before winning the championship.

You realize they lost 14 starters off last years team, right? NDSU won the game and it was a great win, no doubt, but it is apparently going to take time for KSU to get it together.

Also, some of us understand the Big 12 too. UND played Texas Tech a few years back and I personally saw how fast and athletic those teams can be.