SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats to NDSU

southpaw

kiper said on espn radio this morning that NDSU could play in any FBS conference including the SEC and not be a cellar team :ohmy: I don't know if I would go that far yet. but they are damn good. didn't their men's bb team knock off a top 15 wisconsin team a few years back. I would put that win as bigger beings kstate isn't going to be as good as they were last year. also their FB team's win at montana back about ten years ago could be considered a bigger win as at that time they were truly playing up a division and it was their fist win against an upper division team and started to pave the way for their D1 move.

The thing that impresses me the most about their team is how they don't beat themselves. They don't turn it over and they do not commit penalties. They also play with a lot of confidence. They will be tough to beat this year and are very much the front runners in FCS.

• Upvote 2

Great win for the Bison and FCS, always good to see a decent FBS school go down in flames to little brother.

Bison fans have been treated to a special group of kids these past few years, something you see once in a lifetime, pretty fortunate.

In football, it could be the biggest win in ND history. However, we will have to wait and see how KSU does this year...if they are a 2-9 team...maybe not. I figure they're probably a 7 or 8 win team this year. If that is the case, it would be the biggest football win in ND history.

It already is the biggest football win....by far. K state is a big 12 squad. The other wins are a terrible umn team and some other garbage teams. K state has been very good the past few years.

kiper said on espn radio this morning that NDSU could play in any FBS conference including the SEC and not be a cellar team :ohmy: I don't know if I would go that far yet. but they are damn good. didn't their men's bb team knock off a top 15 wisconsin team a few years back. I would put that win as bigger beings kstate isn't going to be as good as they were last year. also their FB team's win at montana back about ten years ago could be considered a bigger win as at that time they were truly playing up a division and it was their fist win against an upper division team and started to pave the way for their D1 move.

They would struggle very very bad in the SEC.

Big win for NDSU. They are without a doubt the best team in the FCS but those that think they should move to FBS are kidding themselves. And this SEC talk is a joke. They would absolutely get slapped around playing a full season in the big10 or big12 much less the SEC. Lets be real.

Big win for NDSU. They are without a doubt the best team in the FCS but those that think they should move to FBS are kidding themselves. And this SEC talk is a joke. They would absolutely get slapped around playing a full season in the big10 or big12 much less the SEC. Lets be real.

Game in and game out the injuries would take a toll.

I found Bohl's comments about the training staff were very classy. He gave a lot of credit to the trainers for keeping their team hydrated and ready to play in the oppressive heat. A big factor in keeping the starters in and avoiding too many substitutions. The Ag School starters are good, but their team, like all FCS teams, lacks the bench to compete in a major BCS conference.

This isn't taking anything away from what the Ag School did last night. It was impressive.

Until UND beats any FBS team or for that matter a top 10 FCS team we all better just shut up about SU FB in any critical or negative tone.

It is a long view up to the top without needing a neck adjustment!!!

Hey I am a college hockey fan (G*pher fan, sorry!)...sad reality is most Bison fans don't care about hockey because they didn't grow up with it as a sport in their area. Hard to "make" someone love a sport they don't understand. I didn't have wrestling at my school in High School and I couldn't tell you much about it, or soccer for that matter.

You guys have an unbelievable hockey program and are dang proud of it, which you should be. Top notch hockey and it's run like a professional organization top to bottom. Sad part most Bison or UND fans don't get is even though the sports are 2 different animals (and yes, different "level" within their sport)...is how similar the programs are because they were built in a way in which today they each have amazing tradition, fan bases, and success. Division 2 Championships in football can be laughed at by many fan bases, but it has helped build a fan base that is deep and proud (and obviously obnoxious at time but that comes in various forms in every fan base).

So...heck yes. You have something special in GF with your hockey team. And you have a football program that has done some great things in the past as well, and are dang proud of your school, which you should be. Best wishes in your next 3 games....it's like running a playoff gauntlet right in your dang back yard.

I'll enjoy this Bison win and now I'm moving on to being POd again that MSU backed on for the home opener....so your team can whip that tail for me if you don't mind too.

Represent ND with pride!

Good post Johnny. First Bison fan that I have seen say anything good about UND hockey (or UND anything, for that matter).

Congrats to the Bison on another very impressive win!

It is now time for my fellow UND fans to discontinue any debates with Bison fans about football - at least until we arrive at their level. I am proud of our successful run against them prior to their moving up but that is "old news"!

We need to provide the support ($ and attendance) for our program to continue to improve. We have a long ways to go!

I agree with you, but the problem is that a lot of our fans don't think our football program has "a long ways to go!". They are happy with being close to a winning season last year. I am on the fence about Mussman and his staff and I think they can still build a winner. But this season is huge for the current regime and will help determine whether they are ultimately successful or not.

Last year's Sagarin rating had the Bison rated similar to a middle of the pack in the SEC as the #35 team in the country and ahead of every team in some FBS conferences.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2012/conference/

Is it so hard for you to believe NDSU could be a reasonably successful FBS team?

Is it so hard for you to believe NDSU could be a reasonably successful FBS team?

I actually believe NDSU would be fairly successful at the next level, possibly even a Boise State type program. However, I'm not sure what conference would take you that you would want to be associated with. The worst case scenario would be joining the Sun Belt, the best case is the MAC. And with the BCS ending this year, i'm not sure how or why you would justify the added expense. I know it's not a popular idea, but I think if UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, and a few other like institutions banded together and created a new FBS conference it would have a strong appeal and tradition with the regions it represent. Just a thought.

I actually believe NDSU would be fairly successful at the next level, possibly even a Boise State type program. However, I'm not sure what conference would take you that you would want to be associated with. The worst case scenario would be joining the Sun Belt, the best case is the MAC. And with the BCS ending this year, i'm not sure how or why you would justify the added expense. I know it's not a popular idea, but I think if UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, and a few other like institutions banded together and created a new FBS conference it would have a strong appeal and tradition with the regions it represent. Just a thought.

Resurrection of WAC football? Just a thought...

Not a bad idea, but the WAC has added a lot of crap schools that I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Kind of sad, in a way. They started adding crap schools and then eight schools broke away and formed the MWC. Then, the refugees that were worth a damn joined the MWC.

D-I is so volatile right now, perhaps if the big five conferences break away, the base of the NCC should re-form as a D-1 FBS conference.

All speculation. UND needs to get good at FCS first... both on the field and with attendance.

Kind of sad, in a way. They started adding crap schools and then eight schools broke away and formed the MWC. Then, the refugees that were worth a damn joined the MWC.

D-I is so volatile right now, perhaps if the big five conferences break away, the base of the NCC should re-form as a D-1 FBS conference.

All speculation. UND needs to get good at FCS first... both on the field and with attendance.

I agree. I think UND will definitely continue to put a good product on the field, especially once the IPF is completed, recruitment should be ridiculous after that happens. As for the fans, they will show once UND starts winning. I think another major obstacle in terms of attendance is the Alerus. We a re lucky to have a nice indoor facility (especially during the winter months). However, the Alerus just doesn't feel like the home of UND football, a place where legends and traditions are born and celebrated. I know that UND isn't likely to raise $100-$300 million to build a new stadium anytime soon, and the current attendance figures sure doesn't justify the expense. But it sure would be sweet!

Until UND beats any FBS team or for that matter a top 10 FCS team we all better just shut up about SU FB in any critical or negative tone.

It is a long view up to the top without needing a neck adjustment!!!

I agree fully. I've always felt that no one would take us seriously until we have an FBS win and a playoff run. What frustrates me is playing Valpo this year rather than taking on an FBS. We don't need an easy win, we need to knock off a big one and stop playing garbage year in and year out like Valpo, Mines, SF, ect. Even when they count, like Valpo does, it still doesn't do the program any good. This is why Fargo is kicking our asses in the FB program.

I agree fully. I've always felt that no one would take us seriously until we have an FBS win and a playoff run. What frustrates me is playing Valpo this year rather than taking on an FBS. We don't need an easy win, we need to knock off a big one and stop playing garbage year in and year out like Valpo, Mines, SF, ect. Even when they count, like Valpo does, it still doesn't do the program any good. This is why Fargo is kicking our asses in the FB program.

NDSU is playing Ferris St. (Due to MSU backing out) and Delaware St. which are cupcakes. They have historically played a cupcake or two most seasons they have been FCS. If we didn't have Montana and SDSU as out of conference games, I would agree and want to play an FBS this year, but our schedule is already very difficult, even more difficult than Ndsu's. The reason NDSU's program is doing so well is they devote more resources to football than we do, including bringing in a high calibre coach. Their Assistant coaches are making as much, if not more than, our head coach. Seven to eight wins is the key and again, most, if not all, FCS elite teams play a cupcake or two out of conference.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I think UND will definitely continue to put a good product on the field, especially once the IPF is completed, recruitment should be ridiculous after that happens. As for the fans, they will show once UND starts winning. I think another major obstacle in terms of attendance is the Alerus. We a re lucky to have a nice indoor facility (especially during the winter months). However, the Alerus just doesn't feel like the home of UND football, a place where legends and traditions are born and celebrated. I know that UND isn't likely to raise $100-$300 million to build a new stadium anytime soon, and the current attendance figures sure doesn't justify the expense. But it sure would be sweet!

I'd like to see them build that stadium model with a retractable roof over old Memorial Stadium. Yeah...expensive. But, if you want to play with the big dogs..

As far as FBS opponents, oddly we are in a better position to schedule them than the Ag School. Let's face it, they have success against them and this KSU win is gonna scare away a lot of potential FBS contracts. It's really a credit to their program.

Hey I am a college hockey fan (G*pher fan, sorry!)...sad reality is most Bison fans don't care about hockey because they didn't grow up with it as a sport in their area. Hard to "make" someone love a sport they don't understand. I didn't have wrestling at my school in High School and I couldn't tell you much about it, or soccer for that matter.

You guys have an unbelievable hockey program and are dang proud of it, which you should be. Top notch hockey and it's run like a professional organization top to bottom. Sad part most Bison or UND fans don't get is even though the sports are 2 different animals (and yes, different "level" within their sport)...is how similar the programs are because they were built in a way in which today they each have amazing tradition, fan bases, and success. Division 2 Championships in football can be laughed at by many fan bases, but it has helped build a fan base that is deep and proud (and obviously obnoxious at time but that comes in various forms in every fan base).

So...heck yes. You have something special in GF with your hockey team. And you have a football program that has done some great things in the past as well, and are dang proud of your school, which you should be. Best wishes in your next 3 games....it's like running a playoff gauntlet right in your dang back yard.

I'll enjoy this Bison win and now I'm moving on to being POd again that MSU backed on for the home opener....so your team can whip that tail for me if you don't mind too.

Represent ND with pride!

Great post JF. Great post my friend.

Well that depends on your perspective as to what a reasonably successful FBS team is. Do I think they could consistently compete in conferences such as the American Atlantic, Conference USA, Mid American or Sun Belt, probably. If they played in the Big10, Big 12, Pac 12 or SEC, not a chance. They would be maybe a 2-3 win team in the Big10 or Big 12 as it currently stands or a 1-2 win team in the Pac12. The SEC, they would get absolutely manhandled outside of maybe Vanderbilt or Kentucky and even those are long shots to be able to consistently beat.

Don't get me wrong, Kansas State is a HUGE win and is something to be proud of if your an NDSU guy. However, if you are objective in your observations you have to look at Kansas State's team. Yes, they won the Big 12 last year, but this years team is no where near the level of last years team. They had 13 new starters and lost their Heisman candidate. NDSU is a 2 time defending FCS champion that return 18 starters. They had a pretty god chance of winning from the get go. Kansas State to me looked like a 3-5 win team this year, nowhere near a top third level team in the FBS this season.

If they would play SEC teams week in and week out they would get smashed. Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Where are their wins going to be? Certainly not any of the first 12.

NDSU has a chance to be a big fish in a medium sized pond or a small fish in the open waters. Now, the best possible scenario NDSU could hope for would be for DI football to go to a three tier system. They could absolutely compete in what would be the second highest tier.

• Upvote 2