SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

If you're able to access the Herald online, some of you may enjoy this trip down memory lane.  Frenchy's is the only establishment named in the article, that I never made it to as it closed before I came up for school.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/restaurants-and-bars/6858397-Long-gone-popular-Grand-Forks-bars-remembered

I made it to Frenchy's once or twice when I first arrived here in 1993. It was a cool establishment. 

2 minutes ago, St Patrick said:

Temporarily closed according to their website:

https://www.huhot.com/location/grand-forks-nd/

I was telling my wife about Hu Hot being closed and she said, it's not really pandemic friendly concept, everyone gathers around a big wok and waits for their food. 

It's also a buffet. It makes sense. 

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

If you're able to access the Herald online, some of you may enjoy this trip down memory lane.  Frenchy's is the only establishment named in the article, that I never made it to as it closed before I came up for school.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/restaurants-and-bars/6858397-Long-gone-popular-Grand-Forks-bars-remembered

Players is a notable absence from the list.  That place was always hopping.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Players is a notable absence from the list.  That place was always hopping.

Yup, I remember going there to do the trivia.  Another notable absence, in my eyes, is the John Barleycorn.  I'm not sure how long that was open though?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Yup, I remember going there to do the trivia.  Another notable absence, in my eyes, is the John Barleycorn.  I'm not sure how long that was open though?

Their Long Island Teas were some of the best in the business, and lavosh special on Friday night.  Ah, what great memories.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

I made it to Frenchy's once or twice when I first arrived here in 1993. It was a cool establishment. 

Went to Frenchy's my first night in Grand Forks. Ordered and paid for a Mug. Didn't make it back there until I was of legal age 3 1/2 years later. :hypocrite:

They never could find my mug and I couldn't find my card after several moves(dorm to fraternity to apartment)

I would love to have a Mug if anyone knows of any thrift stores that may have some.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I was telling my wife about Hu Hot being closed and she said, it's not really pandemic friendly concept, everyone gathers around a big wok and waits for their food. 

It's also a buffet. It makes sense. 

They've been open-and-shut for the past several months, sometimes seemingly for weeks at a time.  Staffing has suffered, and not all of their grillers are created equally.  Would hate to lose them, as it's a concept that generally works and has no equal nearby.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, krustyklown said:

How about The Spud?

Buck pitchers anyone?  Was early Friday afternoon start for those, if I remember correctly.

Oh Lordy!

Fridays when UND hockey was out of town could be a little rough.

Buck Pitchers at the Spud 11 a.m.-6 p.m.

Buck Pitchers at the Bridge 3 p.m.-7 p.m.

2 for 1's at the Bridge 7 p.m.-9 p.m.

Head over to the Antique and Whitey's until closing time and back to campus to rest since

We were probably hosting an All Campus party on Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Eide dealership seemed to close up and move out almost overnight after 60 years in GF.

The owner in Bismarck kept declining comment and said he would give a reason why "at a later date."

I went to Lewis & Clark Elementary School for K-6 and you could see that dealership from classrooms with a west-facing window.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Eide dealership seemed to close up and move out almost overnight after 60 years in GF.

The owner in Bismarck kept declining comment and said he would give a reason why "at a later date."

i hope a place like el gordita buys it up and moves in there...a taco bell, mexican village, and them right near each other

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

I don't think it was a big secret to begin with and it was in the news a week or two before they closed. Guessing having Hyundai as a single flagged dealership was tough. 

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think it was a big secret to begin with and it was in the news a week or two before they closed. Guessing having Hyundai as a single flagged dealership was tough. 

I just noticed that the other day when I was driving on South Washington. Leaves a big hole on South Wash.