SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

5 hours ago, John W. said:

Love to read your statistics...as to % of  Native Americans who approve of  old. nick name....I'll wager most of you who still embrace the Si**x name are 'white' ....can't get beyond your own ignorance of cultures.....I have a son in law who's NA, one d'in law Latina and  one d'in law Philipino....most racism, some subtle-some not, goes completely over the heads of 'whites'....my kids' spouses have certainly enlightened me..

Your post reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld when George Costanza is desperately trying to prove he has a black friend.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

A fraction of the Dakota people oppose the Sioux nickname.  Any of the Bizon fans that still use it are beyond ignorant.

To think otherwise is having your head up your posterior.

Ok I said the chant wasnt directed at the Sioux. You said just a fraction opposed the nickname. Whats your point?

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bison fans have been saying that chant for decades so quit trying to pin it on our fans that have not ditched the Sioux name yet. 

Of course the chant has been going on for decades and I dont see it going away. Especially when you still have the pro sioux crowd.

14 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Of course the chant has been going on for decades and I dont see it going away. Especially when you still have the pro sioux crowd.

It's not going away but the above in bold has nothing to do with it.   pinning the continuation of the chant on the pro sioux crowd is disingenuous.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2019 at 1:58 PM, bison73 said:

I think I can say with certainty that the chant in no way was directed at the people of the Sioux Nation.  It was soley directed at UND and those that continue to embrace the Sioux nick name.

To think otherwise is nothing more than mental gymnastics.

In today's world, it's not what you say, it's how I interpret what I think you might have said. 

If just one person hears that word and interprets it as toward the D/L/Nakota Nations you're wrong. 

Welcome to America 2019. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/10/2019 at 3:12 PM, SiouxVolley said:

A fraction of the Dakota people oppose the Sioux nickname.  Any of the Bizon fans that still use it are beyond ignorant.

To think otherwise is having your head up your posterior.

In the world you inhabit, I'm pretty sure everyone other than yourself is "ignorant." #Jubilee #Shemitah. Yom Kippur is coming up, should I be expecting a major announcement on facilities somewhere?

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In today's world, it's not what you say, it's how I interpret what I think you might have said. 

If just one person hears that word and interprets it as toward the D/L/Nakota Nations you're wrong. 

Welcome to America 2019. 

Sad, but true. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna say it:

In light of what's going on outside US Bank Stadium tonight, it's a good day to not have the old nickname. We'd have been drug in and thrown in the barrel too. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=redskin+protest+minneapolis+thursday+night+football&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS819US819&oq=redskin+protest+minneapolis+thursday+night+football&aqs=chrome..69i57.11871j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Siouxperkick said:

As a DHS grad, I took pride in being a Midget and we never knew or meant it to be a derogatory term, instead believing it was a belief of power, strength, adversity, and tradition.

do you think that sjw's care how you feel about something?

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hello, New York Giants? Tall Clubs International on line 2 for you.;)

Literally thought the exact same thing while watching that the other night....

But for real... "Midget"... good lord there is a line and in my book Midget is the same area as "Red skins" ... its just a matter of when and how they are replaced, not "if".

49 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Does Midget have some alternative meaning?  Or why was it ever viewed as a good name for a sports team?

It wasn't really ever chosen from a list of names, but was adopted naturally over time. From what I recall, a radio announcer back in the day was working a DHS vs Minot HS football game. Minot's team was substantially bigger than DHS, who didn't have a nickname at the time. The announcer said something along the lines of "Minot's team makes Dickinson look like a team of midgets" and Dickinson upset them. They were known for a while as the Mighty Midgets, then became the Midgets. These were before the politically correct days, of course.