SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Both the goofs and Sioux are high caliber teams. But there is one difference, and the UMTC faithful keep acting like it isn't an issue! Goaltending!!!

Sioux will out do them with that one key position!

How do you possibly know who will have better goaltending this season when it's only October?

If I have to explain it, than never mind!

Two of the four are seasoned and have proven themselves, and two haven't?

That can prove to be completely wrong, but by reading the stats, I doubt it!

Two of the four? So you're saying that Gothberg is more seasoned and has proven himself more than Wilcox even though both are freshman with exactly no NCAA experience coming into the season? Ok, got it. :silly: You can only make that argument for one of the four and that's Saunders. Bottom line is we really dont know yet which team will have the better goaltending.

Two of the four? So you're saying that Gothberg is more seasoned and has proven himself more than Wilcox even though both are freshman with exactly no NCAA experience coming into the season? Ok, got it. :silly: You can only make that argument for one of the four and that's Saunders. Bottom line is we really dont know yet which team will have the better goaltending.

Gothberg was with the Fargo force just south of us and he holds records there and received awards while there, but ok, your goalies are just as good..............:)

http://www.wday.com/event/tag/tag/zane%20gothberg/

I actually agree with Mariucci here- way too early to talk about goaltending. I agree that on paper, Gothberg should be an excellent goaltender for us, but the WCHA is not the USHL. He still has a lot to prove. It could be that he is the starting goalie on a team that wins the NCAA or the backup on a team that doesn't even qualify for the tourney- it is October.

I actually agree with Mariucci here- way too early to talk about goaltending. I agree that on paper, Gothberg should be an excellent goaltender for us, but the WCHA is not the USHL. He still has a lot to prove. It could be that he is the starting goalie on a team that wins the NCAA or the backup on a team that doesn't even qualify for the tourney- it is October.

And for as highly touted is Gothberg is, I really think he will be hard pressed for playing time, Saunders has looked very good, and should look even better when we have our full lineup in front of him. "The best defense is a good offense", if UND has the puck the whole time, the other team can't score.

The book is still out for both teams, but I think in the long run Wilcox will be the guy for Goldy.

No clue about UND yet.....Saunders has been great, but Gothberg hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself. Probably see Zane in the net this weekend, unless Hak keeps rolling with whats working.

Probably see Zane in the net this weekend, unless Hak keeps rolling with whats working.

I think its very likely this weekend. Unless he has some kind of injury. Hakstol likes to reward guys for hard work, and spread around the game action early in the season.

Also, the BU games are VITAL for our PWR (the UAA games not nearly as important), so next weekend is probably not when you put a rookie goaltender in.

The book is still out for both teams, but I think in the long run Wilcox will be the guy for Goldy.

No clue about UND yet.....Saunders has been great, but Gothberg hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself. Probably see Zane in the net this weekend, unless Hak keeps rolling with whats working.

hopefully we see Zane in this weekend either night. It will be a month or two before we know who is shining for either team but like it was mentioned above Zane hasn't had a chance yet. Sweep Uaa while Danny and Rocco light that lamp!

#8 in the Steel City!

That's why they play the games. It's one loss, keep it in perspective. I don't think anybody expected them to go undefeated all year long. Even the 1986-87 Sioux team lost 8 games. The Gophers are still the best team in college hockey in spite of what happened last night.

A 2-2 tie against the kids. Really! Whatever you say Skippy.

• Upvote 1

That's why they play the games. It's one loss, keep it in perspective. I don't think anybody expected them to go undefeated all year long. Even the 1986-87 Sioux team lost 8 games. The Gophers are still the best team in college hockey in spite of what happened last night.

I dont think so Tim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJzK3QQl4k

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to say the gophers are the best team in the country, but I don't want to underscore that USA team either. That might be one of the better U-18 teams that they've ever had. A couple bounces, they beat UND, one more save, they beat Minnesota.

Yeah, some of these teams go in slow motion when they play the high schoolers, but at the same time they used to go in slow motion and beat these kids 6-0.

I'm not going to say the gophers are the best team in the country, but I don't want to underscore that USA team either. That might be one of the better U-18 teams that they've ever had. A couple bounces, they beat UND, one more save, they beat Minnesota.

Yeah, some of these teams go in slow motion when they play the high schoolers, but at the same time they used to go in slow motion and beat these kids 6-0.

I was just slightly amused because I saw some chirping from Gopher fans when we only beat the U-18s 6-4 and then the Gophers go and tie them. I'm thinking their fans should have probably kept quiet before they knew what they were getting. The U-18s have a lot of talent, and are going to put up a fight. They are a good majority of the top players in their age group in the country. They're not going to lay over for you, no matter what team.

Some of Minnesota top players didn't play friday, Bjugsted did, Rau didn't. The rest for Rau seemed to work though, as he scored 12 seconds into their game today, which I attended with my brother. Wilcox will be a strong tender for years to come.

So Rau went back into the lineup, which enabled your team to down mighty Canisius 1-0. Wow, how impressive.