SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Why do you keep saying they played only one game, they played Friday and Sunday, I don't know how your math skills are, but mine say that is two games?

First off the game Friday doesn't count it's a exh and they won the game Sunday. No team will drop when winning the only game that counts for most cases. If UND sweeps they move up or stay put. These polls don't means thing anyhow.the Pairwise rankings mean everything and those will at out after the new year when things start shaping up. Meaningless right now and both UND and UM have frozen 4 talent

Why do you keep saying they played only one game, they played Friday and Sunday, I don't know how your math skills are, but mine say that is two games?

One was an exhibition. They could have lost 200-0, and maybe then the poll would have been different. Exhibition games aren't taken into consideration. Aka.....they played one game (that counted).

The Sioux moved on there exhibition games, either way it is still a game!

Yes it is a game but the exh games dont count and never will count when determining rankings. UND started the regular season later this year and others started a week ahead and a few teams 2 weeks prior. UND played USA u18 while most of the country had pmayed a regular season game or two so it's possible to move a bit with other teams surrounding UND winning or losing. Anyhow the only poll that matters at all in college hockey are the Pairwise rankings which determine the NCAA tourney seedlings.

Yes it is a game but the exh games dont count and never will count when determining rankings. UND started the regular season later this year and others started a week ahead and a few teams 2 weeks prior. UND played USA u18 while most of the country had pmayed a regular season game or two so it's possible to move a bit with other teams surrounding UND winning or losing. Anyhow the only poll that matters at all in college hockey are the Pairwise rankings which determine the NCAA tourney seedlings.

Ah, got it, thanks. I started my question by stating that I know they aren't important, but I just wanted to know how and why, now I do. Thanks again....

Ah, got it, thanks. I started my question by stating that I know they aren't important, but I just wanted to know how and why, now I do. Thanks again....

No problem at all! It can be little confusing because college hockey will throw in mid season Exh games which is odd because no other sport does that! Go Sioux!

According to Don Lucia, UND and Minnesota won't play a regular season series for at least four years once the teams move to new conferences.

He says it's due to a commitment to all the in state schools, but didn't Minnesota make non-conference scheduling agreements with the Boston schools, Notre Dame, CC and DU?

According to Don Lucia, UND and Minnesota won't play a regular season series for at least four years once the teams move to new conferences.

He says it's due to a commitment to all the in state schools, but didn't Minnesota make non-conference scheduling agreements with the Boston schools, Notre Dame, CC and DU?

Yup.

I heard first that it was because of the nickname thing, but I didn't buy that.

I stand by my comment about it being an avoidance tactic.

Can't really fault him. Two fewer loses might be the margin he needs to keep his job after they disappoint again this year.

Seriously though, it's a shame. It's one of the best rivalries in hockey between two quality programs. I'll miss those games and the trash talk that goes along with them. Look around--who you gonna hate like them?

Can't really fault him. Two fewer loses might be the margin he needs to keep his job after they disappoint again this year.

Seriously though, it's a shame. It's one of the best rivalries in hockey between two quality programs. I'll miss those games and the trash talk that goes along with them. Look around--who you gonna hate like them?

DUmbver.

they are scared of us

they like the weak comptitiong (see canceled games vs UNC) to scehdule NMSU

there program is laughable

Yeah, the Gophers are afraid of North Dakota, so they schedule Boston College instead. Makes perfect sense.

Truth is, in-state rivalries come first, and leave few road non-conference games available. Minnesota couldn't schedule with North Dakota while the nickname was active, and by the time it was dropped it already had scheduling arrangements.

The Gophers will likely schedule series with North Dakota again once the current NC scheduling agreements expire. But there will be gaps where these teams don't play because both schools want 1-for-1 agreements and both have limited NC road series available.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Gophers are afraid of North Dakota, so they schedule Boston College instead. Makes perfect sense.

Truth is, in-state rivalries come first, and leave few road non-conference games available. Minnesota couldn't schedule with North Dakota while the nickname was active, and by the time it was dropped it already had scheduling arrangements.

The Gophers will likely schedule series with North Dakota again once the current NC scheduling agreements expire. But there will be gaps where these teams don't play because both schools want 1-for-1 agreements and both have limited NC road series available.

Sorry, but that's not how this went down.

That might be what UM is spewing, and that's fine if you want to buy into that, but there is two sides here.

And the fact is that UM could have scheduled UND if they wanted to. But they don't. They did EVERYTHING they could to avoid it. I'm sorry, but one can only come to certain conclusions.

In-state rivalries should be a priority. But to suggest preserving one of the better rivalries in college hockey is not a priority is a bit off base. And if it's not, well that must be that infamous U of M education I've heard so much about.

It's disappointing for the fans, and it's disappointing for the players. I bet every kid that committed to one of these programs is disappointed they won't get the chance to play in a rivalry game like that.

Sorry, but that's not how this went down.

That might be what UM is spewing, and that's fine if you want to buy into that, but there is two sides here.

And the fact is that UM could have scheduled UND if they wanted to. But they don't. They did EVERYTHING they could to avoid it. I'm sorry, but one can only come to certain conclusions.

In-state rivalries should be a priority. But to suggest preserving one of the better rivalries in college hockey is not a priority is a bit off base. And if it's not, well that must be that infamous U of M education I've heard so much about.

It's disappointing for the fans, and it's disappointing for the players. I bet every kid that committed to one of these programs is disappointed they won't get the chance to play in a rivalry game like that.

It's exactly how things went down.

I heard otherwise.

I'm sure that's how it went down from the U's standpoint.

What? You heard the Gophers are "afraid" to schedule UND? Do you realize how seriously ridiculous and jaded that sounds? Especially considering they have BC on their upcoming schedule instead.

What I outlined is exactly what went down. Spin whatever other tales you like, but they won't be factual.

What? You heard the Gophers are "afraid" to schedule UND? Do you realize how seriously ridiculous and jaded that sounds? Especially considering they have BC on their upcoming schedule instead.

What I outlined is exactly what went down. Spin whatever other tales you like, but they won't be factual.

No, I didn't say "afraid".

That is just the natural conclusion a lot of people will reach here when you kill a rivalry to schedule non-conference game after non-conference game with everyone under the sun.

The U could have scheduled UND if they wanted to. They just chose differently. I just don't buy all of the reasoning you provided. I'm sure it's part of it, but there's a lot of other stuff out there too. Personally, I don't know why a big rivalry isn't a scheduling priority, but that's fine, it's not my decision.

And I've been aware this was going to be the case for a very long time. So this news wasn't a shock to me.

No, I didn't say "afraid".

That is just the natural conclusion a lot of people will reach here when you kill a rivalry to schedule non-conference game after non-conference game with everyone under the sun.

The U could have scheduled UND if they wanted to. They just chose differently. I just don't buy all of the reasoning you provided. I'm sure it's part of it, but there's a lot of other stuff out there too. Personally, I don't know why a big rivalry isn't a scheduling priority, but that's fine, it's not my decision.

And I've been aware this was going to be the case for a very long time. So this news wasn't a shock to me.

Gophers didn't even want to leave the WCHA. Read this piece on how AD Joel Maturi described his and UMN's feelings on matter:

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/2012/06/maturi-hoped-penn-state-would-join-ccha.html

Gophers will play UND again. They just don't have room for next 4 years because of other NC commitments.

At $55 a ticket for the upcoming goofer series at the John in January , It sure should help the athletic department to raise extra money so they can cancel other NC football games with the extra $'s and schedule creampuffs on their football schedule. We all know that the John will be filled with North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX fans in January. Why would the U of M be so stupid not to schedule the SIOUX!