SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Not arguing your point on that, but Wisconsin has the same policy and they still made the scheduling agreement with us. So I think it's clear someone dropped the ball here. The nickname was going. I think everyone knew that. They could have made an agreement contingent upon... but didn't. Lots of things could have happened, but didn't.

I think it comes down to the fact that the rivalry with UND wasn't high up on the U's list of things worth preserving at the moment. Which is a shame.

Just my two cents.

My understanding is Minnesota didn't wait to see how it played out and went out and made other scheduling agreements. Maybe part of that has to do with the fact that Don's son Mario plays for Notre Dame now, I don't know. But I do know they have had a scheduling arrangement with BC and Northeastern for some time. They play BC in the Mariucci Classic already this season.

It is a shame that they won't be playing for 4 years. IMO it's the best rivalry in college hockey.

I'm pretty sure the Goofs would have scheduled the Sioux for a couple games as long as they play them at Merry-uchi...we'll see how many of the in-state rivalry games that UM plays at home vs away...the Sioux probably asked for a home and home series over 2 years which the Goofers decided was a bad idea when they could get more home non-conference games against BSU and Mankato...

It has already been determined. It will be a rotation. 3 of the 4 other in-state schools will play in the MN Holiday tournament with the Gophers. Minnesota has agreed to count the tournament at the X as 2 of their 20 required home games even though revenue will be split amongst the schools. They will rotate year-to-year who faces Minnesota in the first round. The team that doesn't play in the MN Holiday tournament that year will host Minnesota at their barn. Rotation will look something like this.

Year 1: Play in Holiday Tournament with chance of facing Gophers in second round

Year 2: Play Gophers in first round of Holiday Tournament

Year 3: Play in Holiday Tournament with chance of facing Gophers in second round

Year 4: Host Gophers at their barn

On top of this, the other MN schools will also likely schedule series against Minnesota at Mariucci, but the Gophers won't see all of the schools at Mariucci every year. Depends on the school and the scheduling arrangement they work out based on their other scheduling arrangements.

Just take a look at GPL. When it was first assumed that UND/UMTC wouldn't be playing again for a while many fans acted like it was nothing. Saying "good riddance" and used the "we don't need them as much as they need us" line.

With that said, GPLers are the more tolerable of the Gopher fan variety but comments posted over their can get to be just as asinine as ones made here.

I don't live in Minnesota anymore, but I was a long-time season ticket holder and my whole extended family still lives in the Twin Cities. I wouldn't put too much weight into what you read on message boards. The vast majority of Gopher fans I know are disappointed they won't be playing each other for 4 years.

Lucia desperately did not want to join the Big Ten and one of the reasons is because he was worried about how it would effect the other MN programs. He was determined to make sure the U plays those schools every year, it was his #1 priority. North Dakota doesn't have other D1 programs in their state so I understand why their fans don't fully understand Lucia's thinking on this. But to most Minnesota hockey fans it is imperative to play our in-state rivals yearly. Now it's also important to Minnesota hockey fans to play UND, myself included. But as the flagship program in our state the U has an obligation to help those programs by keeping a regular season series going. UND doesn't need the U like Bemidjii or Mankato does.

Lucia desperately did not want to join the Big Ten and one of the reasons is because he was worried about how it would effect the other MN programs. He was determined to make sure the U plays those schools every year, it was his #1 priority. North Dakota doesn't have other D1 programs in their state so I understand why their fans don't fully understand Lucia's thinking on this. But to most Minnesota hockey fans it is imperative to play our in-state rivals yearly. Now it's also important to Minnesota hockey fans to play UND, myself included. But as the flagship program in our state the U has an obligation to help those programs by keeping a regular season series going. UND doesn't need the U like Bemidjii or Mankato does.

I agree. A lot of UND fans like to tout the fact that we scheduled BSU and Mankato when they were fledgling DI programs to help give them a boost. Minnesota is now agreeing to do the same thing for these schools now that their conference is losing it's prestige. I don't think it has anything to do with "fearing" UND. In fact, I think a lot of fans here would agree that UND should also maintain some sort of series with BSU and probably Mankato, but nobody here would suggest it's because they were scared to play Minnesota.

Now... I think UMD and SCSU can be put into a different category since they're both members of the NCHC and are maintaining their rivalry with UND (in fact improving by playing 4 times a year every year) as well as a few of the other top current WCHA schools. Those two programs arguably need non-conference games with UM less than BSU or Mankato does. I suppose there could've been a scenario where UM scheduled UMD and SCSU less frequently in order to maintain some games with UND over the next four years, but the idea of a MN tourney at the X certainly wouldn't have worked without their participation.

In the grand scheme of things, UND and UM will play each other eventually on a regular basis during the regular season. It sucks that we will have to wait at least four years for it to happen. But...let's face it...if our teams are as great as we all think they are, there should be plenty of AWESOME playoff match-ups in store. Can you imagine the intensity of the regular season non-conference games four years from now if these two should meet in the NCAAs over the next few years? Fans will be salivating to get them in a home-ice environment.

I agree with you on this. However, it hurts me that great hockey (UND vs UM) is sacrificed so that mediocre hockey (BSU, MSU) can be preserved- sorta reminds me of some folks political philosophies as well...sorta that everyone gets a soccer trophy mentality, you know, the one that DIDN'T save the world in the 1940's.

I agree with you on this. However, it hurts me that great hockey (UND vs UM) is sacrificed so that mediocre hockey (BSU, MSU) can be preserved- sorta reminds me of some folks political philosophies as well...sorta that everyone gets a soccer trophy mentality, you know, the one that DIDN'T save the world in the 1940's.

It absolutely sucks that these two programs dont have any games scheduled after this season. Not only is it the best rivalry in college hockey but I honestly believe it's one of the most intense rivalries in ANY sport at ANY level.

Why do you keep saying they played only one game, they played Friday and Sunday, I don't know how your math skills are, but mine say that is two games?

He obviously means they played an exhibition game on Friday...which doesn't count.....which also isn't reflected in the national rankings.

So, when the rivalry does resume, does it become less intense among the players, or more intense. I know the fans will have that intensity because of the history, but if the players don't have guys to hate from the start, how does that play into the intensity?

So, when the rivalry does resume, does it become less intense among the players, or more intense. I know the fans will have that intensity because of the history, but if the players don't have guys to hate from the start, how does that play into the intensity?

That's a good question, but if they meet enough in the playoffs I don't think we'll have to worry.

If they don't meet in the NCAAs, I should think that as long as we're still involved in the same recruiting territories the players may be familiar enough with each other to keep some of the intensity.

Exactly! When they had the rather big window to make the scheduling agreement that Wisconsin did, they didn't. Then almost directly after the vote was required to get rid of the nickname Minnesota locked into their agreements.

are you sure you have your timeline right? i talked to joel maturi at a time when UND had still hoped to keep their nickname and during that time he said minnesota was in discussions with boston/notre dame about 4 year agreements.

There is one plain and simple truth, that this is all about the Don's desire to avoid GF. The Goofs media and fanbase has called for his head every time a sure bet season unravels against UND. Losses to BC will be more easily forgiven, for the next several years.

I for one will miss the big blast of air that used to come whistling out of their over-inflated fanbase following a weekend against the Sioux. The excuses always made for some of the most interesting hockey reading I have ever seen.

• Upvote 2

There is one plain and simple truth, that this is all about the Don's desire to avoid GF. The Goofs media and fanbase has called for his head every time a sure bet season unravels against UND. Losses to BC will be more easily forgiven, for the next several years.

I for one will miss the big blast of air that used to come whistling out of their over-inflated fanbase following a weekend against the Sioux. The excuses always made for some of the most interesting hockey reading I have ever seen.

You live in a delusional world my friend.

If anything, maybe I have lost my touch at trolling for trolls as I only managed to hook a couple of small fry that aren't even worth keeping. Oh well I guess I will have to go a little deeper to land some of the big old lunkers, if they are still lurking around. Perhaps all those years of peroxide and hairspray finally did some of them in.

• Upvote 1

Will miss this rivalry for the next 4 yeas to be sure. I like adding BC but would prefer to see UND rather than ND.

My favorite weekends at the Ralph are when the goofs are in town. Change happens in life but this time I don't like it. Hopefully they meet in the regionals this year and the Sioux get some revenge. :sneaky:

It absolutely sucks that these two programs dont have any games scheduled after this season. Not only is it the best rivalry in college hockey but I honestly believe it's one of the most intense rivalries in ANY sport at ANY level.

You have to credit the fan bases. It wouldn't be as fun or as intense if gopher fans weren't such mindless, hairless, dickless, slopeheaded, nose-picking, turd-eating, diaper-wearing, goat-banging, pansy-arsed, run-from-a-fight liars. Great playthings.

• Upvote 1