SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Yes, yes. We ALL know about Minnesota's innocence in the WCHA breakup. They didn't want to and blah blah blah. :silly:

Gopher fan arrogance about the impending suspension of regular season games between the two teams is downright amusing. Acting like it's nothing.

Ah, well. These two teams will play again there's no doubt about that. It's good for both teams to keep playing each other.

Gopher arrogance is so sickening

First the blame the nickname cuz they are scared of us

Now they blame different conferences cuz lucia is scared of the ralph

Not our fault they cant handle the enviornment

Und is a play anyone anywhere anytime

Um is u want to play at the john come on down well schedule u as long as ur rpi is over 30

Gopher arrogance is so sickening

First the blame the nickname cuz they are scared of us

Now they blame different conferences cuz lucia is scared of the ralph

Not our fault they cant handle the enviornment

Und is a play anyone anywhere anytime

Um is u want to play at the john come on down well schedule u as long as ur rpi is over 30

Hey now, this year they're going to Vermont to play!

Yes, yes. We ALL know about Minnesota's innocence in the WCHA breakup. They didn't want to and blah blah blah. :silly:

Gopher fan arrogance about the impending suspension of regular season games between the two teams is downright amusing. Acting like it's nothing.

Ah, well. These two teams will play again there's no doubt about that. It's good for both teams to keep playing each other.

Who's acting like it's nothing. We're as disappointed as you are. It sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

There was HUGE political pressure to schedule the in-state schools. Mankato and Bemidji specifically NEED to play Minnesota in order to stay viable. I would guess that tDon and all the Minnesota hockey powers that be would prefer to play UND. The coaches and the players love playing rivalry games like that. Obviously UND vs UMN generates huge ticket and concession revenues as well.

Who's acting like it's nothing. We're as disappointed as you are. It sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

I don't like to mention names because I don't like when people call me out by handle on a message board without saying something to me directly... but there are some Gopher fans who have been talking for months about how they don't care if we stop playing each other and would rather maintain the in-state rivalries. What's your take on that? You seem informed enough...

I don't like to mention names because I don't like when people call me out by handle on a message board without saying something to me directly... but there are some Gopher fans who have been talking for months about how they don't care if we stop playing each other and would rather maintain the in-state rivalries. What's your take on that? You seem informed enough...

I see. Well, I think they are in the minority. Personally, I'm bummed.

Links?

And again, your comment loses credibility with BC on our schedule.

gfhockey, That's inaccurate. When Lucia got sick a few years back and had to miss the trip, he said it was one of his favorite trips and was bummed to miss it.

Alex Kangas, on the other hand, was quoted on FSN as saying how much he hated coming to GF. But that makes sense. We were so mean to him. Poor guy... lol

gfhockey, That's inaccurate. When Lucia got sick a few years back and had to miss the trip, he said it was one of his favorite trips and was bummed to miss it.

Alex Kangas, on the other hand, was quoted on FSN as saying how much he hated coming to GF. But that makes sense. We were so mean to him. Poor guy... lol

Yeah, I can see why Kangas would have hated the trip :)

why would minnesota be afraid of scheduling with north dakota?? i dont understand the perception that north dakota has been a dominant force over minnesota in recent history and have successfully scared minnesota away. the sioux are 3-5 against the gophers the last two years.

you can easily counter that by noting that the sioux for several years before that kicked minnesotas butt.. but then you have to go back further and you get to minnesotas OT win in the final five.. and a couple years before that their back to back NC's.. then you can go back further to a couple NC's for north dakota. etc etc. over the course of a rivalry one team will find more success than the other. minnesota has had the edge over north dakota in their matchups the last couple years.. but that has nothing to do with future scheduling.. frankly- minnesotas strength of schedule likely just went up in scheduling BC and notre dame instead of UND and DU

the bottom line is none of this would have happened had minnesota not joined the big ten. when that happened- it then also could have been avoided by north dakota giving up their nickname (like everyone knew they would in the end) instead of dragging that on and on. both schools blew it. it is too bad.. the fans lose. the players lose.. but im sure the 2 teams will meet in the ncaas

why would minnesota be afraid of scheduling with north dakota?? i dont understand the perception that north dakota has been a dominant force over minnesota in recent history and have successfully scared minnesota away. the sioux are 3-5 against the gophers the last two years.

you can easily counter that by noting that the sioux for several years before that kicked minnesotas butt.. but then you have to go back further and you get to minnesotas OT win in the final five.. and a couple years before that their back to back NC's.. then you can go back further to a couple NC's for north dakota. etc etc. over the course of a rivalry one team will find more success than the other. minnesota has had the edge over north dakota in their matchups the last couple years.. but that has nothing to do with future scheduling.. frankly- minnesotas strength of schedule likely just went up in scheduling BC and notre dame instead of UND and DU

the bottom line is none of this would have happened had minnesota not joined the big ten. when that happened- it then also could have been avoided by north dakota giving up their nickname (like everyone knew they would in the end) instead of dragging that on and on. both schools blew it. it is too bad.. the fans lose. the players lose.. but im sure the 2 teams will meet in the ncaas

The name thing is a crutch, not a real reason.

Not arguing about anything else in this discusion but the name issue is a joke. Minnesota has had this so called policy in place even before the NCAA got involved, while scheduling Florida State and Central Michigan in basketball and even our cross country and swimming teams have competed in events hosted by Minnesota. They use the name excuse when it is convenient.

frankly- minnesotas strength of schedule likely just went up in scheduling BC and notre dame instead of UND and DU

I'll give you BC since they have been on a ridiculous run the last few years, but I don't believe Notre Dame is a tougher matchup than UND and DU.

ETA: I imagine one of Lucia's biggest reasons for wanting to schedule Notre Dame is that his son is on the team.

BC will help SOS, not Notre Dame...Notre Dame has been solid the past couple seasons, but not UND/DU strong.

I agree with the statement that nobody is "afraid" and that "ownership" of the rivalry rotates, however your 3-5 over the past two years is a bit misleading. That can be broken into last year where UND was 2-4 vs Minnesota, and Minnesota knocked UND out of the Regional and the prior year where it was a 1-1 split head to head, but UND went to the Frozen Four.

The name thing is a crutch, not a real reason.

Not arguing about anything else in this discusion but the name issue is a joke. Minnesota has had this so called policy in place even before the NCAA got involved, while scheduling Florida State and Central Michigan in basketball and even our cross country and swimming teams have competed in events hosted by Minnesota. They use the name excuse when it is convenient.

UND was a fellow conference member before. Minnesota had no choice.

UND was a fellow conference member before. Minnesota had no choice.

Not arguing your point on that, but Wisconsin has the same policy and they still made the scheduling agreement with us. So I think it's clear someone dropped the ball here. The nickname was going. I think everyone knew that. They could have made an agreement contingent upon... but didn't. Lots of things could have happened, but didn't.

I think it comes down to the fact that the rivalry with UND wasn't high up on the U's list of things worth preserving at the moment. Which is a shame.

Just my two cents.

Just take a look at GPL. When it was first assumed that UND/UMTC wouldn't be playing again for a while many fans acted like it was nothing. Saying "good riddance" and used the "we don't need them as much as they need us" line.

With that said, GPLers are the more tolerable of the Gopher fan variety but comments posted over their can get to be just as asinine as ones made here.

Just take a look at GPL. When it was first assumed that UND/UMTC wouldn't be playing again for a while many fans acted like it was nothing. Saying "good riddance" and used the "we don't need them as much as they need us" line.

With that said, GPLers are the more tolerable of the Gopher fan variety but comments posted over their can get to be just as asinine as ones made here.

I guess we will agree to disagree on this.

Though maybe they are different in person as opposed to when they are hiding behind a handle on a message board... I think we all probably are.

Not arguing your point on that, but Wisconsin has the same policy and they still made the scheduling agreement with us. So I think it's clear someone dropped the ball here. The nickname was going. I think everyone knew that. They could have made an agreement contingent upon... but didn't. Lots of things could have happened, but didn't.

I think it comes down to the fact that the rivalry with UND wasn't high up on the U's list of things worth preserving at the moment. Which is a shame.

Just my two cents.

Exactly! When they had the rather big window to make the scheduling agreement that Wisconsin did, they didn't. Then almost directly after the vote was required to get rid of the nickname Minnesota locked into their agreements.

I'm pretty sure the Goofs would have scheduled the Sioux for a couple games as long as they play them at Merry-uchi...we'll see how many of the in-state rivalry games that UM plays at home vs away...the Sioux probably asked for a home and home series over 2 years which the Goofers decided was a bad idea when they could get more home non-conference games against BSU and Mankato...