SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

whoa, what a great blog from the past and lot's of pipedreams.  Anyone know what happened to Norman's, seemed like a great place planned? This was all before my time in Grand Forks.

I am guessing Norman happened to Norman's?

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Fetch said:

It is amazing the old ponderosa in front of Kmart has been empty so long good location lots of parking easy access ???

Man, I agree.  Yah, S Washington ain't 32nd Ave S but it's still a highly traveled location right near 17th Ave S intersection with easy on/easy off access.   Would be a gold mine I think with right fill.

3 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

What/who the hell is Norman's?

Dave Norman put together a group of investors and purchased Whitey's several years ago. He was going to make it into a nice steak house. The restaurant did not last long. Norman has had other business ventures that also did not last real long. Before Norman's he had a restaurant in Detroit Lakes, and before that he owned KCNN and 2 other radio stations in Grand Forks. Norman's was turned back into Whitey's.

10 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Dave Norman put together a group of investors and purchased Whitey's several years ago. He was going to make it into a nice steak house. The restaurant did not last long. Norman has had other business ventures that also did not last real long. Before Norman's he had a restaurant in Detroit Lakes, and before that he owned KCNN and 2 other radio stations in Grand Forks. Norman's was turned back into Whitey's.

Ahh, that Norman.  Has some familiarity.  Thx.

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Pretty sure Ponderosa was open until 2006 or 2007 at least, but yeah it's been empty a long time.

When I was playing HS football we would have our pre-game meals at Ponderosa.  It was owned by the father of a classmate.  Back at that time, late '70's it was pretty well run and popular.  I believe the father retired in the "90's and he passed away in 2004.  I'm not sure if he passed along the business to his son or not, but the son (my classmate), passed away in 2007, which seems to coincide with when it closed.

9 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

When I was playing HS football we would have our pre-game meals at Ponderosa.  It was owned by the father of a classmate.  Back at that time, late '70's it was pretty well run and popular.  I believe the father retired in the "90's and he passed away in 2004.  I'm not sure if he passed along the business to his son or not, but the son (my classmate), passed away in 2007, which seems to coincide with when it closed.

I think it was Bonanza back in those days, and switched to Ponderosa in the mid-late 90's.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, VMeister said:

I think it was Bonanza back in those days, and switched to Ponderosa in the mid-late 90's.

Bonanza_title_screen.jpg

See the small font below Bonanza.  Might be too small for your old man eyes.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Bonanza_title_screen.jpg

See the small font below Bonanza.  Might be too small for your old man eyes.  

I can see the font.  Not sure if Bonanza and Ponderosa were related, but they were similar but different restaurants.

Ask your mom, young fella.  I bet she knows about all the all-you-can-eat places.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, VMeister said:

I can see the font.  Not sure if Bonanza and Ponderosa were related, but they were similar but different restaurants.

Ask your mom, young fella.  I bet she knows about all the all-you-can-eat places.

Well that was rude.  

On 12/9/2015 at 9:32 PM, Cratter said:

Hearing about Romos, I did so googling to try and check it out sometime.

I'm getting a Romos on Broadway and one on 13th. Seems they are connected. I assuming the 13th one is the one to check out?

20151015_164637.jpeg

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Roma's is so damn good. Medium burrito only if I'm ready to really eat. The portions are ridiculous.

Get the Pasole---mexican soup if they have it. Its great!!!!  Plus their tamales are the best Ive ever had.

The variety of spicey meats is astounding also.  One time I had them put so many different things in my burrito they actually had to use two of those big tortillas. 10.00 .      Love the place.

On 12/9/2015 at 9:32 PM, Cratter said:

Hearing about Romos, I did so googling to try and check it out sometime.

I'm getting a Romos on Broadway and one on 13th. Seems they are connected. I assuming the 13th one is the one to check out?

All the food from what Im told is Now made at the Broadway location and then delivered to the other locations. 13th st was the first and they used to make the food there. Ive eaten at the 13th st since the change and the food is still very good. But I do miss not seeing the owner when we stop in for lunch. Hes at the Broadway location all the time now.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Same here. Locally and independently-owned. Good food. Lots of TV screens. Prices were reasonable. Much better than most national chains (although BWW is pretty good).

Yah, remember it well.  Was very surprised when it closed, thought it did well.

• Upvote 1