SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Maybe Koules saw the writing on the wall that he would probably not have a lot of playing time, either way I'm not gonna wish him a lot of luck when a kid backs out on his commitiment. Maybe UND told him to wait another year to come in or wasn't happy with his progress who knows, either way I don't think we're gonna miss a whole lot on not getting him.

Maybe Koules saw the writing on the wall that he would probably not have a lot of playing time, either way I'm not gonna wish him a lot of luck when a kid backs out on his commitiment. Maybe UND told him to wait another year to come in or wasn't happy with his progress who knows, either way I don't think we're gonna miss a whole lot on not getting him.

I agree. The Sioux team next year will be totally fine still with talent. More opportunity for Drake and Bryn to come in as freshie's and prove themselves. To their credit, they're both better players than Miles anyways.

O' Donnell- Knight- Kristo

Macmillian- Grimaldi- Parks

Chyzyk, Sanderson- Rowney-Rodwell

Gaarder-St. Clair- Caggiula

First 2 lines look good unless you want to switch Grimaldi and O' Donnell around but I think they want Grimaldi at center and I'm sure O'Donnell can replace Nelson, and I don't think you want to split up the chemistry between Parks and Macmillian. I think Rowney should center the 3rd line with Rodwell and not sure between the other 2. I think Gaarder played good enough last season to keep him on the 4th line. I cant remember what St.Clair is so I put him at center. Then I guess sitting will be Pattyn and Senkbeil, they should both see playing time sometime though. I think Sanderson was a forward, my bad if he's not.

MacWillian- Mattson

Forbort- Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

MacWilliam-C

Knight-A

Kristo-A

Gleason or Rowney-A

I don't see Pattyn (and maybe even Senkbeil) sitting more than some of the incoming Freshies. Hak always loves to form a grind line and those two are going to be big parts of it. We can't roll 4 pure offense lines, every team needs that line that shuts down the opponents.

First 2 lines look good unless you want to switch Grimaldi and O' Donnell around but I think they want Grimaldi at center and I'm sure O'Donnell can replace Nelson, and I don't think you want to split up the chemistry between Parks and Macmillian. I think Rowney should center the 3rd line with Rodwell and not sure between the other 2. I think Gaarder played good enough last season to keep him on the 4th line. I cant remember what St.Clair is so I put him at center. Then I guess sitting will be Pattyn and Senkbeil, they should both see playing time sometime though. I think Sanderson was a forward, my bad if he's not.

MacWillian- Mattson

Forbort- Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

MacWilliam-C

Knight-A

Kristo-A

Gleason or Rowney-A

I agree with most of your lines and logic...I also think that there will be 2 forward lines that jockey for that energy line role each night...maybe even a rotation with one line playing fridays and one line playing Saturdays. That would keep all the boys at game speed if they need to be inserted for an injury, etc. 5 lines in practice, top 3 play both games, bottom two rotate...might be a good way to go- at least at first.

As for letters...I think that Mac and Knight both wear Cs and you put As on Kristo and Rowney

Knight gets the "C"...you don't play 1/2 a season with a broken hand without gaining the total respect from your teammates. Mac is a decent leader, but he took a ton of penalties....many undisciplined. He gets an "A" again and so does Rowney. If they give a third "A"...Gleason over Kristo.

Knight gets the "C"...you don't play 1/2 a season with a broken hand without gaining the total respect from your teammates. Mac is a decent leader, but he took a ton of penalties....many undisciplined. He gets an "A" again and so does Rowney. If they give a third "A"...Gleason over Kristo.

Sounds a lot like last year's captain...

I'll have to disagree. I've been saying since the beginning of this past season. I think MacWilliam has Captain written all over him.

MacWillian- Mattson

Forbort- Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

MacWilliam-C

Knight-A

Kristo-A

Gleason or Rowney-A

For some reason I can't picture the lineup without Pattyn. He plays with too much grit to not be out there. Every time he was on the ice he made a physical impact on the opposing team and cycles really well along the boards.

• Upvote 1

For some reason I can't picture the lineup without Pattyn. He plays with too much grit to not be out there. Every time he was on the ice he made a physical impact on the opposing team and cycles really well along the boards.

I was thinking the same thing, Pattyn was a big part of the team down the stretch when they had nobody on the bench and needed somebody to provide a spark, it would be hard to imagine that Hak wasn't impressed enough with his play to find a spot for him.

obviously, those guys like Pattyn will be given the first opportunity from what they build off last year but i think everything will have to be earned. the competition in practice should make them even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking, maybe it's a good thing if jordan schmaltz doesn't go in the first round of the draft, because if you think about it we haven't had very much luck with defenseman that have gone in the first round of the draft in the past few years.

I'd say Derek Forbort has been pretty good.

But has he been 15th overall pick good? I really don't think so, even though he was drafted as a project.

I didn't wanna say that cuz I thought I'd get mugged but I suppose I shouldn't worry about that on an opinion blog. maybe this is the wrong thing to say but I would like forbort more if he was a more physical defenseman.

I didn't wanna say that cuz I thought I'd get mugged but I suppose I shouldn't worry about that on an opinion blog. maybe this is the wrong thing to say but I would like forbort more if he was a more physical defenseman.

Forbort for the most part has been a good defensemen. He does however need to add some bulk to his lanky frame. I hope he plans on hitting the gym this offseason.

Very much agreed. I think Pattyn plays a pivotal role as the fourth line center next season. After he figured out how to keep his emotions in check he was a key player in last years late run.

I don't see Jim getting much ice time. I know that he's a heart and soul guy, and improved a lot, but I think the incoming Freshman will earn spots over him.

But has he been 15th overall pick good? I really don't think so, even though he was drafted as a project.

I think he has performed quite well, especially the second half of each season. People said the same thing about James Patrick when he was drafted 9th overall. They expected more out of him which eventually came the second half of the season and beyond. I think the setback with mono his first year and the injury at the World Juniors this year set Forbort back a bit. I really think this year could tell a lot. With Blood gone Forbort needs to step up and be an impact player from the start of the season. I'm sure the coaches are going to expect him to pick up where he left off at the end of last season and hopefully he will put those expectations on himself. If Berry comes in like it looks like, maybe that will give him another tool to develop the potential a little more.

I think he has performed quite well, especially the second half of each season. People said the same thing about James Patrick when he was drafted 9th overall. They expected more out of him which eventually came the second half of the season and beyond. I think the setback with mono his first year and the injury at the World Juniors this year set Forbort back a bit. I really think this year could tell a lot. With Blood gone Forbort needs to step up and be an impact player from the start of the season. I'm sure the coaches are going to expect him to pick up where he left off at the end of last season and hopefully he will put those expectations on himself. If Berry comes in like it looks like, maybe that will give him another tool to develop the potential a little more.

I think if there is any knock on forbort it has to be his lack of size. I believe he is about 6'4 or so but seems to be to lanky. He needs to bulk up and start building some muscle for that 6'4 frame. He has pretty much all the skill now he has to allow his body to catch up.