SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

I think the only guys with guaranteed jobs up front are: Knight, Kristo, O'Donnell, Rowney, MacMillan, Parks, and Grimaldi

I think that Koules will get "top 9" ice because of his pedigree

Chyzyk and Caggiula were obviously brought in this year for a reason as well...I could see those two being big time fourth line energy with some scoring touch...maybe even moving up the depth chart if they produce. Certainly moving up the depth chart as they age.

As much as they've contributed, I think that guys like Gaarder and Pattyn and Rodwell and Dickin are going to have to earn their ice next year...St. Clair too...especially after sitting out a year...i'm not even sure what this new Sanderson is all about...

I think the only guys with guaranteed jobs up front are: Knight, Kristo, O'Donnell, Rowney, MacMillan, Parks, and Grimaldi

I think that Koules will get "top 9" ice because of his pedigree

I think anybody who thinks they have a "guaranteed" spot may in for serious disappointment. Everybody will need to earn their spot in the lines.

I think anybody who thinks they have a "guaranteed" spot may in for serious disappointment. Everybody will need to earn their spot in the lines.

I'll rephrase-

Assuming that they all show up and work hard, I would find it highly unlikely that any of the forwards I listed are in any jeopardy of losing their spots.

I am treating Grimaldi as a sophomore ...

Four games does not a sophomore make.

He'll have some head-slapper* defensive lapses before January.

Alternatively, if Parks or MacMillan were to make the same lapse next year they'd be risking playing time (because they've been through 40 games to learn).

*That's when the player does something that makes everyone else in REA apply a palm to the forehead.

I know this is crazy-talk, but could we actually have a checking line and three legitimate scoring lines next season?

AND healthy players sitting in the stands! (which will make them want to work harder in practice the next week to get into the lineup, competition is great!)

Even though it is not 100% sure that he is coming in, I think Caggiula will be our best freshman forward next year. I am treating Grimaldi as a sophomore even thought he will be a freshman eligibility wise.

I think we have seen in the past that you can be pretty good offensively and still not make the lineup. I think of a guy like Cichy who put up great numbers in the USHL and was playoff MVP like Caggiula, yet he struggled to see the ice for the Sioux I assume because he wasn't as sound as the coaches wanted him to be on the defensive side of things. Dickin played more down the stretch two years ago than he did. Don't know whether Caggiula will come for sure or not, but starting out, all of the freshmen will have to prove they have the defensive intensity like Pattyn and Gaarder to supplant those guys in the lineup, especially early on. Don't fully know what to expect from Caggiula in that realm, and would hate to see a player frustrated from lack of playing time like Cichy if another year could add more of an impact freshman season. Would like to have seen what Caggiula's numbers would have been in the USHL, but no doubt the talent and determination is there.

Cichy was not willing (or able) to switch his mentality to a bottom 6 forward from a top 6 forward. That is a problem for playing time when you are 7th or 8th on the depth chart. It isn't any easy thing to do, so this is not a knock on him. When you've been creating offense your whole career, and now you need to completely change your instincts to be more physical or be more conscience in the other zones..if you don't, then you don't get game time, you don't get game time you'll never earn a top 6 spot.

• Upvote 1

Cichy was not willing (or able) to switch his mentality to a bottom 6 forward from a top 6 forward. That is a problem for playing time when you are 7th or 8th on the depth chart. It isn't any easy thing to do, so this is not a knock on him. When you've been creating offense your whole career, and now you need to completely change your instincts to be more physical or be more conscience in the other zones..if you don't, then you don't get game time, you don't get game time you'll never earn a top 6 spot.

This is why I think Caggiula will be successful. I don't know if he is "good" defensively in the sense that Darcy Zajac was, but he is very effective in the way that T.J. Oshie was, with this I mean being tenacious and putting pressure on in the defensive zone, not necessarily the best positionally but effective nonetheless. He is also pretty physical for a forward as well as being a good skater, so at very worst he should be an effective checker, but as you also stated he might be unable to switch to that role like Cichy.

Thinking about line combos that give us depth makes me excited

Knight with Kristo and O'Donnell (Knight and Kristo already have chemistry- I think O'Donnell can play the Nelson role)

Grimaldi with MacMillan and Parks (MacMillan and Parks already have chemistry- I am excited to see a healthy Grimaldi in the mix)

Rowney with Koules/Caggiula/Chyzyk (Rowney showed he can deliver with a pair of talented kids last year. If this line looks like the RPM line from March 2012 by March 2013, we are in great shape).

energy line is going to be about who wants it the most among the rest

Yeah, who really knows who will be able to make that adjustment. The reason I think Chyzyk will get some playing time is because it sounds like he is a good two-way player with the great work ethic. After last season just being able to wonder who will be sitting on a night to night basis is a huge bonus.

Yeah, who really knows who will be able to make that adjustment. The reason I think Chyzyk will get some playing time is because it sounds like he is a good two-way player with the great work ethic. After last season just being able to wonder who will be sitting on a night to night basis is a huge bonus.

I have heard that as well, I am not sure if his skating is great though. That might be his biggest weakness. I think he will be a big surprise for us next year. I don't really like comparing stats, but comparing Parks' best year in the USHL to Chyzyk's current year, Bryn has better stats. I didn't expect Parks to be such a contributor this past year, that is why I am optimistic that Chyzyk will put up 15-25 points as a freshman.

Thinking about line combos that give us depth makes me excited

Knight with Kristo and O'Donnell (Knight and Kristo already have chemistry- I think O'Donnell can play the Nelson role)

Grimaldi with MacMillan and Parks (MacMillan and Parks already have chemistry- I am excited to see a healthy Grimaldi in the mix)

Rowney with Koules/Caggiula/Chyzyk (Rowney showed he can deliver with a pair of talented kids last year. If this line looks like the RPM line from March 2012 by March 2013, we are in great shape).

energy line is going to be about who wants it the most among the rest

I might be in the minority here, but after this past season, I can't see MacMillan-Rowney-Parks being split up, they were just too good down the stretch. Here is my lineup, based on the fact that Hakstol stated he really likes Grimaldi at center. I know the first line is a stretch.

Chyzyk-Knight-Kristo Knight and Kristo need no explanation. Chyzyk can ride the two vets to a very successful rookie year. Solid two-way play and a good goal-scorer. Think a lesser skilled Jason Gregoire.

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks Very good line down the stretch last year. Expect all to be slightly under a point-per-game pace. Parks and Rowney could hit 20 goals.

O'Donnell-Grimaldi-Koules Grimaldi could be this teams best player. O'Donnell was impressive in the few games he played. Hopefully Koules can rediscover the success that made him such a high-end recruit a year and a half ago.

Fourth Line Combination of Caggiula, Rodwell, St. Clair, Pattyn, Gaarder and possibly Gleason.

I really think Caggiula will be our best freshman. That is just pure speculation but that is what I believe.

I have also said this, looks to be the most dynamic and physical of the lot.

If he is here next year, that is.

I have heard that as well, I am not sure if his skating is great though. That might be his biggest weakness. I think he will be a big surprise for us next year. I don't really like comparing stats, but comparing Parks' best year in the USHL to Chyzyk's current year, Bryn has better stats. I didn't expect Parks to be such a contributor this past year, that is why I am optimistic that Chyzyk will put up 15-25 points as a freshman.

He considers his biggest assets are his speed and vision on the ice. More to skating than speed, like a quick first step, etc., but sounds like he can get up and down the ice anyway. According to his coach, apparently Sanderson is fast as well. Nice to see the addition of more speed to the lineup.

He considers his biggest assets are his speed and vision on the ice. More to skating than speed, like a quick first step, etc., but sounds like he can get up and down the ice anyway. According to his coach, apparently Sanderson is fast as well. Nice to see the addition of more speed to the lineup.

I have never seen him play, so I'm just going off of reports. I asked my friend who watches him regularly if he would be drafted, he said, "Probably not, he doesn't have the hands or speed to make it to the NHL, but should be a great college player".

I have also said this, looks to be the most dynamic and physical of the lot.

If he is here next year, that is.

Agree, if he is here, and if the mix is right to get him on the ice with the scoring lines we will already have. You can definitely see the skill is there, but he is a '94, which is the same as Luke Johnson and Tambellini. The "true" freshman making and impact like Oshie and Rau is fairly rare, so if he could put up numbers similar to Parks and MacMillan and be playing his best the second half of the year, I think the Sioux would definitely be happy with that. If he is sound defensively and gets the ice time, he and Chyzyk could battle it out for the freshman forward point lead for the Sioux. If he is that rare impact freshman player, the Sioux could be great.

I am getting very old so I may need help remembering but I cannot recall when we last had a freshman who was good enough to be on the first line, and we've had many very good hockey players come through the program. Was Toews? Are Caggiula or Chyzyk at a higher level as some of these players who did not play on the first line as freshmen? I would expect Rowney moving to a wing to skate with centers such as Knight or Grimaldi, rather than the unrealistic hopes that these freshmen will play at such an elevated level. I will be content if they can beat out some of the returning sophomores on what would be the third or fourth lines.

• Upvote 1

I am getting very old so I may need help remembering but I cannot recall when we last had a freshman who was good enough to be on the first line, and we've had many very good hockey players come through the program. Was Toews? Are Caggiula or Chyzyk at a higher level as some of these players who did not play on the first line as freshmen? I would expect Rowney moving to a wing to skate with centers such as Knight or Grimaldi, rather than the unrealistic hopes that these freshmen will play at such an elevated level. I will be content if they can beat out some of the returning sophomores on what would be the third or fourth lines.

I'm not saying he is "good enough for the first line", just that he fits in there i.e. a good goal scorer, two way player, and a left-handed shot. With my projected lines, their are 3 lines that are pretty much equal and that is what I was shooting for rather than loading up on two.

To answer your question, it absolutely depends on the year. Look at Toews' freshman year, he had Stafford, Zajac, Spirko etc. in front of him. Was he good enough to play on the first line? Yes. Did he play on the first line the whole year? No. Most years Toews is a first line player as a freshman, some years he is not.

Did I miss where someone said one of the freshies was going to play top 6 minutes? I thought that was long-term talk, not next season. But I digress.

And just to clarify, lots of freshmen have gotten turns on the top line, but haven't always stuck.

I expect Grimaldi to fill Nelson's spot with Kristo and Knight and to start I wouldn't be surprised to see MacMillan-Rowney-Parks stay together. Freshies will battle it out with the returning guys for 3rd and 4th line spots.

Part of it too is what position they think best suits a player. Some people have Grimaldi on a line with Knight and Kristo. If the coaches want to keep together Rowney, Parks and MacMillan and they think Grimaldi is best at center, that would mean that there would be room on the top line for someone who might typically be on the 3rd line. Of course we all know that with the Sioux you can't really number the lines. Of course Knight and Kristo will be on the 1st line, but beyond that, the lines get rolled depending on game situations. That said, since you usually have a checking line that plays a lot, I would imagine Grimaldi wouldn't be on a supposed "4th" line because you want him to get on the ice more frequently, so he either would go to wing or move Rowney somewhere and make room for him at center.

Part of it too is what position they think best suits a player. Some people have Grimaldi on a line with Knight and Kristo. If the coaches want to keep together the Rowney, Parks and MacMillan and they think Grimaldi is best at center, that would mean that there would be room on the top line for someone who might typically be on the 3rd line. Of course we all know that with the Sioux you can't really number the lines. Of course Knight and Kristo will be on the 1st line, but beyond that, the lines get rolled depending on game situations. That said, since you usually have a checking line that plays a lot, I would imagine Grimaldi wouldn't be on a supposed "4th" line because you want him to get on the ice more frequently, so he either would go to wing or move Rowney somewhere and make room for him at center.

Agree with everything you said, that is why I think we will see a more balanced lineup. 3 fairly equal lines, and a 4th checking line. This year was unique because we didn't have much depth, therefore the coaches loaded up one one line and played them alot more than the other lines. This is the first year that I can remember where one line got substantially more ice time compared to the others. Most of the time the first 3 lines get fairly equal playing time.