SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Yes only 10 goals for O'Donnell, I never saw anything out of his game that said to me he would be a good goal-scorer. I think his goal-heavy distribution of points will not be normal for him, he has never scored more goals than he had assists. If you compare his stats in Junior to Mark MacMillan, Mark is the better goal scorer. Not saying it won't happen but I really don't see O'Donnell being a big goal-scorer.

I don't know why you say O'Donnell was a bigger recruit than MacMillan. MacMillan has always been more highly touted. Before this past season, when Hakstol was asked which freshman he expected to have the biggest impact besides Grimaldi, each and every time he said MacMillan.

Amen!!! Agree with absolutely everything you said, kinda curious if we will have our own M & M twins with the Macmillan brothers this next spring.

Amen!!! Agree with absolutely everything you said, kinda curious if we will have our own M & M twins with the Macmillan brothers this next spring.

I hope so, I'm kind of wondering if Mitch was of misused at SCSU. He scored 61 goals and had 93 points his last year in the BCHL. That kind of goal scoring ability doesn't just disappear. I realize for some players their points don't translate to the NCAA, but going from 61 goals in a solid league to 4 goals in 2 years? That is a monumental drop off in production. I am being cautiously optimistic with Mitch MacMillan. If he doesn't work out it doesn't really matter, if it does we could have a very good player on our hands.

Just to put things in perspective, Kyle Turris had 66 goals in the BCHL the year he was drafted 3rd overall.

I hope so, I'm kind of wondering if Mitch was of misused at SCSU. He scored 61 goals and had 93 points his last year in the BCHL. That kind of goal scoring ability doesn't just disappear. I realize for some players their points don't translate to the NCAA, but going from 61 goals in a solid league to 4 goals in 2 years? That is a monumental drop off in production. I am being cautiously optimistic with Mitch MacMillan. If he doesn't work out it doesn't really matter, if it does we could have a very good player on our hands.

Just to put things in perspective, Kyle Turris had 66 goals in the BCHL the year he was drafted 3rd overall.

True, but I believe Mitch was 19 when he did this and Kyle was 17. 2 years doesn't seem like a lot, but it is absolutely huge in terms of production.

True, but I believe Mitch was 19 when he did this and Kyle was 17. 2 years doesn't seem like a lot, but it is absolutely huge in terms of production.

Oh I realize that, my point is just trying to show how good a 60 goal season in the BCHL really is.

• Upvote 1

I think ODonnel will play opposite Kristo on the first line and will benefit production-wise as a result. I see him picking up a lot of trash down low.

If Berry gets the pp humming, I agree that you could see 50+ point seasons out of Kristo and Knight.

40 point rookie campaign would put Grimaldi in that Toewser/Oshie universe- he is elite offensively, so it is possible!

I see Parks and MacMillan continuing where they left off at the end of the season- which is great. I think they avoid the soph slump, mostly because their roles aren't changing.

Rowney is the x factor. If he puts up 20ish goals and 40ish points from the second or third line, we are in really good shape.

Agree with the poster on Berry's immediate impact to the D. Forbert's should be the number one beneficiary and could have a monster year.

I disagree on the comparison of Simpson to Chorney(I just see their respective games as much different from one another's), but I do think Berry can help Dillon become the best player he can be.

Scoring on three lines, an energy line of lunch pail players who don't know the word quit, a re-invigorated dcorps, a re-tooled pp...sounds like a nice run into April to me

Only 10 goals for O'Donnell? He had 5 goals last year in hardly any games, are you serious? Remember, other than Rocco last year, he was our best incoming freshman recruit. He was labeled to play heavy minutes right away. Had more expectations and was given more responsibilities right off the start of the season.

His injuries limited his year and obviously Macmillian and Parks made great strides and took advantage of their opportunities during the year.

Yeah...but the guy had no assists. I still think he will be a good player but he will not be on the top two lines or PP...therefore no way he scores 20 goals. Maybe 10.

I think ODonnel will play opposite Kristo on the first line and will benefit production-wise as a result. I see him picking up a lot of trash down low.

If Berry gets the pp humming, I agree that you could see 50+ point seasons out of Kristo and Knight.

40 point rookie campaign would put Grimaldi in that Toewser/Oshie universe- he is elite offensively, so it is possible!

I see Parks and MacMillan continuing where they left off at the end of the season- which is great. I think they avoid the soph slump, mostly because their roles aren't changing.

Rowney is the x factor. If he puts up 20ish goals and 40ish points from the second or third line, we are in really good shape.

Agree with the poster on Berry's immediate impact to the D. Forbert's should be the number one beneficiary and could have a monster year.

I disagree on the comparison of Simpson to Chorney(I just see their respective games as much different from one another's), but I do think Berry can help Dillon become the best player he can be.

Scoring on three lines, an energy line of lunch pail players who don't know the word quit, a re-invigorated dcorps, a re-tooled pp...sounds like a nice run into April to me

I skate with a kid who played with Rocco two years ago and he says Rocco is the best offensive player he has ever played with (yes while they were both on the NTDP). This kid played with many good players (JT MIller, Koules, etc) but he said Rocco was so much better than them. Will it transalte into a better NHL player...who knows. But I do know great small forwards can still tear it up in college hockey. I would leave the second line with Parks-Rowney-Macm. for obvious reason and throw Rocco up with Knight and Kristo. Our third and fourth lines will still be nice. Rocco doesn't belong anywhere else but the first line...he should be our best offensive player this year if he truly is healthy.

Everything that i've heard is that they want Rocco playing center, not wing, which means he is not on the first line. Knight is too good two ways.

If he's as good as his labeling, you have to put Rocco on the second line then, in order to get him the most ice possible given the above consideration.

If you put Rocco on the second line, then you move Rowney to the third-

I agree that it is tough to disrupt the chemistry of Parks, Mac, Rowney (RPM line I call it), but if Rocco is going to play center, then you have to.

One of the keys to keeping the talent pipeline going is to ensure that the players are playing the positions that the NHL teams want them playing. Garth Snow was all over tDon for his mismanagement of Kyle Okposo in that regard.

Everything that i've heard is that they want Rocco playing center, not wing, which means he is not on the first line. Knight is too good two ways.

If he's as good as his labeling, you have to put Rocco on the second line then, in order to get him the most ice possible given the above consideration.

I agree that it is tough to disrupt the chemistry of Parks, Mac, Rowney (RPM line I call it), but if Rocco is going to play center, then you have to.

One of the keys to keeping the talent pipeline going is to ensure that the players are playing the positions that the NHL teams want them playing. Garth Snow was all over tDon for his mismanagement of Kyle Okposo in that regard.

True. You're right he should play center than. He's seems somewhat small for a center at the NHL level....usuall you see smaller guys playing wing (St. Lious, Gerbe, Blake, etc). I am not disagreeing with you but to put Rowney on the third line after what he did last season seems like treason to me. I think you teach Rocco wing for a year. P. Kane moves back and forth although he is a natural wing. Again though, no way Rocco is not playing top 6 hockey next year, if not he's gone. Rowney too, they are both top 6 forwards. You don't throw a grinder into a top 6 role just because you are short a wing, then again this is the WCHA where half the game is special teams.

Didn't Mark and Mitch MacMillan reportedly have good chemistry together in juniors? Who's to say they wont get a shot to play together after the break? I liked the way the Mac, Parks, Rowney line played last season, but it seems to me that there may be a benefit on a couple different fronts to breaking them up.

Didn't Mark and Mitch MacMillan reportedly have good chemistry together in juniors? Who's to say they wont get a shot to play together after the break? I liked the way the Mac, Parks, Rowney line played last season, but it seems to me that there may be a benefit on a couple different fronts to breaking them up.

Sure. I like Mark a lot.... however I am not so high on Mitch. Yes, they did have great chemistry in the BCHL but it seems to me everyone kills it in that league...and it is not even close to college hockey, in terms of competitivenss. Also, his numbers at SCSU were god awful. Hak must see something so I'm sure he will improve...but I'm not too sure he is a top 6 forward.

Sure. I like Mark a lot.... however I am not so high on Mitch. Yes, they did have great chemistry in the BCHL but it seems to me everyone kills it in that league...and it is not even close to college hockey, in terms of competitivenss. Also, his numbers at SCSU were god awful. Hak must see something so I'm sure he will improve...but I'm not too sure he is a top 6 forward.

To clarify - I wasn't necessarily penciling Mitch in the top-6 as much as I was saying maybe Mark would be the guy to drop out of the top-6 given the potential additions of O'Donnell and Grimaldi to that group. I'm guessing when it's all said and done It pretty much all comes down to who they want to play up the middle and then they'll go from there. I'm pretty damn excited to see how this upcoming season plays out!

To clarify - I wasn't necessarily penciling Mitch in the top-6 as much as I was saying maybe Mark would be the guy to drop out of the top-6 given the potential additions of O'Donnell and Grimaldi to that group. I'm guessing when it's all said and done It pretty much all comes down to who they want to play up the middle and then they'll go from there. I'm pretty damn excited to see how this upcoming season plays out!

So am I....I am thinking big things this year (but I do every year :o) I think Mark will be a top 6 guy....I was very impressed with him last year, he seemed much better than O'Donnell to me. Yes, O'Donnel scored a bunch of goals in the limited time he played but didn't offer much else (assists). I like that we are sitting here trying to figure out who has to come out of the top 6....I like those tough decisions. It better be a nice year.

Then the Blackhawks must not like us because Joe Gleason has been all over the place. :lol:

No offense to Joe, but I don't think his development is a weekly conversation with BlackHawks management.

I really like the idea of Rowney centering that third like. It isn't an insult, but rather a compliment- putting the confidence in him that a line can be built around him that can be a third scoring threat.

No offense to Joe, but I don't think his development is a weekly conversation with BlackHawks management.

I really like the idea of Rowney centering that third like. It isn't an insult, but rather a compliment- putting the confidence in him that a line can be built around him that can be a third scoring threat.

I know he could do it...but yes that would be an insult. Unless of course he starts the year off really slow. At times last year he was our best player and given top 6 and PP opportunities this year he could have a great year....one that helps us win a Nat'l Tourney and get him a nice contract offer. To start the year, I bet he's top 6.

He (Rowney) miight be top 6, but he's The number 3 center. That, and I'd rather have 3 scoring lines than two.

I mean, you could move Rowney to Wing on the first line and have Rocco center Parks and MacMillan and rock two sick scoring lines, then have a third line with potential ala ODonnell, Rodwell and someone else ...I dunno, too many question marks

Couldn't agree more. He will score goals this year

Sure...I really hope he does and I bet he will. I just think he does so in the bottom 6. Great player though, any other team he may be in a better position. The Sioux are simply too deep. I mean we're are talking about moving a 20 goal scorer (from the previous year) to a third line in his senior year....I guess that sounds a little crazy to me. May they move parks or Macm then. Although both of those guys looked much better than O'donnell to me. We'll see I guess.

Sure...I really hope he does and I bet he will. I just think he does so in the bottom 6. Great player though, any other team he may be in a better position. The Sioux are simply too deep. I mean we're are talking about moving a 20 goal scorer (from the previous year) to a third line in his senior year....I guess that sounds a little crazy to me. May they move parks or Macm then. Although both of those guys looked much better than O'donnell to me. We'll see I guess.

I think no matter what, the proven guys, Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Parks, MacMillan, and Grimaldi start in the Top-6, everyone else tries to play their way into those spots. I realize Grimaldi isn't NCAA "proven", but he has proven himself at lower levels more than anyone else has, and I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't produce at this level.

I think no matter what, the proven guys, Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Parks, MacMillan, and Grimaldi start in the Top-6, everyone else tries to play their way into those spots. I realize Grimaldi isn't NCAA "proven", but he has proven himself at lower levels more than anyone else has, and I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't produce at this level.

Yup, agreed.