SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

You missed Rodwell. I would think that if he's healed up that he'd get penciled back into his spot in the line up.

good point. I just wonder where he would go, his production was very poor last year and he wasn't that noticable to me when he was healthy. I wish we had one more forward line to fit all of the players in. I feel like the scratches next year are going to be quality players that would otherwise be able to contribute which I guess speaks to the depth that will be there next year barring injury like this year.

I think we are building up a nice team but the question mark no longer is in offense... it switches back to goaltender. I believe in Gothberg being the real deal but... you NEVER know what you're going to get as a freshman goaltender. You could get a goaltender like Manino who is good for his entire career... or you can a Siembida, who comes in on fire and falls flat on his face.

The players returning from injury (Rodwell, O'Donnell, Grimaldi) and other circumstances (St. Clair) will garner most of my attention but... the one freshman last year that got my attention in a positive way was Stephane Pattyn.

I REALLY like how he plays. In fact... I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if Pattyn ends up the Captain his senior year if he continues to improve on the ice and lead.

Our defense looks scary good, but not as physical as we usually see, in my opinion. MacWilliam is still a bruiser, but Forbort, Schmaltz, Mattson, and Gleason aren't big hitters. Panzarella is a bruiser too, but who'd you sit?

If everyone plays as advertised, we're going to have a very good puck moving D Corps and a marked increase in defensive scoring.

Goaltending will be fine. Saunders will be a stud goalie (remember he's 6'3, when have the Sioux had that?) and throw in the fact he'll have a quality team in front of him. Zane too will be on his game come December and will be a great goalie, he'll have that little adjustment. Keep in mind Dell hasn't signed yet... Back to Saunders, I feel like it'll take the Sioux 5-10 games to find their game early on in the season, the reason I say this because of all the guys coming off of injury, which brings me to my next point.

Rodwell - He really needs to have a strong summer once he is fully recovered. He was a very impressive freshman. A player that flat out went hard, and throw his weight around. He needs to find a scoring touch somewhere and somewhere early this season. 8-15 goals from him next year would be HUGE.

Colten St. Clair - I don't know what to expect out of him. Sitting out a year is good for adding strength but your game on the ice regresses. He was once a thought out big recruit, but his play in the USHL (with Fargo) was so-so. What I do know, is that he's a competitor and plays a gritty, hard-nosed game. I think he'll be in the line up next year more than being a healthy scratch. Where exactly in the line up is the question...

Mitch Mcmillian - Will he be an extra, or can he find his game come spring semester? It's totally up to him. It's all about progression and work ethic with him. He's at UND to get a slight, yes, a slight chance to play with his brother Mark, that should be enough of a motivator for him to find his game.

Chyzk - I think will the right mindset of a great summer workout routine gets him to step in and step up right away with the Sioux team next year. I expect him 3rd to 4th line in the first half of the year, but see him being a tremendous 3rd line asset that could net 8-12 goals as a freshie. Think along the seasons of Parks or Macmillan this past year.

Koules - A very big question mark. The skill set and being a good player is there. He needs a strong off-season to bring confidence to his game. He could be the outside looking in when it comes to suiting up in the line up next year. Can he find his scoring touch early in the season so that he gets opportunities to play on the 3rd line? We shall see..

SIouxForever - To answer your question: Saunders will be the tallest goaltender in Fighting Sioux history. the next tallest was Grieco and I beleive Kvalevog who were both 6'1.

At one time UND was recruiting Northeastern goaltender and former BCHL goaltending stud Chris Rawlings. He is 6'5. Imagine that!

It would be awesome if one of our next slew of goalie recruits became that Goerhring or Belfour esque shutdown guy, especially in big games. THAT would probably do as much to win an NC as getting a new coach or changing our philosophy.

No offense to the great goalies that we always have every year, that aren't named Goehring or Belfour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard somewhere that Maris was getting his degree or something at UND this spring and moving back to Colorado instead of returning next season.

I'm not sure where you heard that because I have never heard a single thing about that from ANYONE.

SIouxForever - To answer your question: Saunders will be the tallest goaltender in Fighting Sioux history. the next tallest was Grieco and I beleive Kvalevog who were both 6'1.

At one time UND was recruiting Northeastern goaltender and former BCHL goaltending stud Chris Rawlings. He is 6'5. Imagine that!

Kvalevog was nowhere near 6'1". I'd give him 5'10" - maybe 5'11".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard somewhere that Maris was getting his degree or something at UND this spring and moving back to Colorado instead of returning next season.

I'm not sure where you heard that because I have never heard a single thing about that from ANYONE.

I heart that as well GFG, I can't remember where or when so I guess I lack credibility, but I heard the exact same thing you did about 3/4 months ago.

Top Six forwards assuming Kristo goes pro:

Knight, Grimaldi, Rowney, O'Donnell, MacMillan, Parks

Challenge is that you probably don't want to break up the chemistry of Rowney, Parks and MacMillan, but Knight is an awesome center, and Grimaldi also plays center. Big question is if you move Grimaldi to wing or if you bust up the chemistry.

I'd do Knight with Grimaldi and O'Donnell

Rowney with MacMillan and Parks

I agree...Rowney, Parks, and MacMillan did have some good chemistry. However, if you mix and match the lines, it may benefit the team more and the new lines have the potential to create new chemistry that is as good or better than what we previously had.

true...and if Kristo stays...well, looks like we could roll 3 pretty talented forward lines out there...

Say Kristo stays and we decide to break-up the Rowney line...maybe put Rowney with a couple kids again? It worked last year...

Knight with Kristo and O'Donnell

Grimaldi with Parks and MacMillan

Rowney with Koules and Chyzyk

St. Clair with Pattyn/Rodwell/Gaarder

Kristo goes and you go to:

Knight with Parks and O'Donnell

Grimaldi with MacMillan and Koules

Rowney with Chyzyk and Rodwell

St. Clair with Pattyn and Gaarder

At D:

Schmaltz and Forbert

Mattson and MacWilliam

Simpson and Gleason

Geaux_Sioux said it best. I wouldn't count out the Mcmillan boys playing together the second half off the season. Usually the Sioux don't get their lines truly figured out until February.

PS: Wow did Oshie make an amazing play against San Jose today.....wow....

Via Schlossman, Knight played the last 3 months of the season with a broken hand

UND forward Corban Knight played the last three months of the season with a broken hand, a source has confirmed.

Knight suffered the injury blocking a shot during a series against the University of Minnesota in mid-January. He didn’t miss a game the rest of the season, tallying 19 points in 20 games with the broken hand.

• Upvote 1

I believe it was broken in three places. I don't know how you even hang in to the stick like that.

You could see it was heavily taped during the Final Five...most of the time he was gripping his stick with only 1 hand...unreal...

My daughter just read on Twitter that Grimaldi will be a freshman in eligibility next year. Anything official out there?

Assuming the NCAA approved the medical redshirt request, the answer would be yes, but haven't seen anything announced officially.