SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Since it's that time of year, I'll throw out a golf analogy, which may be full of sh**. This from a fan who really liked Eidsness.

There are some guys who, if you golf with them often enough, you grow to expect some things. I golf with one guy who plays at about a 9. He knows what to do with his clubs and is fully capable of putting together a 73-75 at a fairly challenging course. But if he's hitting the ball real well and scoring at or near par, I can almost guarantee he will cough up a double or triple somewhere along the way to blow his low score. It's not pressure, because we don't play for money, and he might hit the tough hole on the front nine. Maybe it's concentration. Maybe he's just a good but not real good golfer.

Eidsness seemed that way to me. He was real good for the Sioux, and I expecially liked his maturity. We were lucky to have him. But I was never surprised to see the softie--usually just one.

I suppose statistics would disprove what that analogy suggests about his play, but hey, it's summer. It would be a treat, though, to get a goalie who, when he is on, is just plain shut-down. Might be what is needed for #8.

That's all I was trying to say. With all our good recruits it seemed as though what we have been lacking is a goalie who will simply steal the game away right from the get go. It's funny how St. Cloud always seems to have good goalies (plural). We can out shoot them by 25 and still lose 2-1 even though they only had 11 shots on net. I am excited for next year though.

Not when one of those good goalies name was Mike Lee.

...or Bobby Goepfert :)

Their freshman last year was pretty impressive, especially against the Sioux. I'd say Wisconsin and/or Denver were those teams that always seemed to have top-shelf goaltending. At least over the last 10 years.

Not when one of those good goalies name was Mike Lee.

Haha yeah, but I would've taken him in a second for our team. He would have came here if Eidesness wasn't already here, only to have Eidesness lose his job halfway through that season.

3 pretty good seasons by UND goalies in the last 10 years.

Jordan Parise

Season Team Lge GP A PIM Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

2005-06 U. of North Dakota WCHA 33 3 6 1959 68 0 6 2.08 24 8 1 943 0.933

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

2007-08 U. of North Dakota WCHA 42 1 8 2508 73 0 6 1.75 27 11 4 1004 0.932

Aaron Dell

2010-11 U. of North Dakota WCHA 40 2 0 2349 70 0 6 1.79 30 7 2 857 0.924

Jordan Parise

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Dell

Agreed that we have had some good goalies going into the frozen 4. When have we had a goalie really cowboy up in the tourney and steal one (we've had it done to us) In my opinion, many of our recent season ending losses have been in part due to lackluster goaltending. We need someone to be a stud when the chips are on the line. Time to find some magic

• Upvote 1

Agreed that we have had some good goalies going into the frozen 4. When have we had a goalie really cowboy up in the tourney and steal one (we've had it done to us) In my opinion, many of our recent season ending losses have been in part due to lackluster goaltending. We need someone to be a stud when the chips are on the line. Time to find some magic

I think we have seen a pretty wide variety of things go wrong in the Frozen 4 in the past decade. That makes it a little harder to fix since it isn't the same thing each time. But no, we haven't had a goalie steal one for UND during that time.

Jordan Parise

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Dell

Yeah, Phil's year was nice. So was parise's. Dell had an extremely strong team in front of him, one that should have been handed the Nat'l Championship if it wasn't for one of the most unlucky hockey games I have ever seen. That game proved to anyone watching that the better team does not always win.

breakdowns in coverage in the dzone or odd mans make a goalies save % suffer. If you play racehorse, you will give up odd-mans...on a 2-1 or a break away or a solid pp look the goalie has his hands full. I mean, realistically if you put me at the bottom of the face-off circle with a clean look and Ed Belfour in the pipes, I am going to score 20 percent of the time, a D1 forward will score 40 percent of the time, an elite player will score on 60+% of those looks...there just isn't much a goalie can do...too much net to cover.

I mean, realistically if you put me at the bottom of the face-off circle with a clean look and Ed Belfour in the pipes, I am going to score 20 percent of the time, a D1 forward will score 40 percent of the time, an elite player will score on 60+% of those looks...there just isn't much a goalie can do...too much net to cover.

Yeah, but you'd whiff 20% of the time too, Yzerman, and that would be worth seeing.

• Upvote 1

Real excited to see our freshman get on the ice. Excited to see Schmaltz, Caggiula and Chyzky play. Don't know much about Sanderson but he could be a good one too. Once Dell decides what he wants to do we will have a better picture of goaltending.

2012-2013 Incoming class officially announced

Drake Caggiula (F), Bryn Chyzyk (F), Zane Gothberg (G), Coltyn Sanderson (F), Jordan Schmaltz (D), Clarke Saunders (G)

I really like these incoming freshman. I think Sanderson will be a solid role player, along with Caggiula (although I think this guy could end being real nice too). Bryn has an awesome shot and I could see him being a top 6 forward at some point if he plays with a playmaker. Schmaltz will be awesome, same with Gothberg. I heard Saunders is all right so I'll stay up on him until I see otherwise. Just curious why he ended up at Alabama and not anywhere else, don't know all that much about him other than he got absolutely peppered last year.

INCH came out with it's "early" preseason top ten has UNDlisted at number 3 and the goophs 1 and michigan 2.

I think they are a top ten team, and extremely talented, but at the same time their goaltenders combined have exactly zero NCAA wins.....Patterson was huge for them last season....it will take some adjusting without him.

I think they are a top ten team, and extremely talented, but at the same time their goaltenders combined have exactly zero NCAA wins.....Patterson was huge for them last season....it will take some adjusting without him.

I think all the teams projected in the top three will have to have their goaltenders prove themselves, unless of course Dell comes back.

Those rankings are also assuming Bjugstad returns which I still think is less than 50/50. But returning all 8 D-men on the roster and two blue chip recruits should help the goaltending situation but obviously it's still a big question mark heading into the season.